Deluxe Memory Man Trade Suggestions

Everyone needs a stompbox.
BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Deluxe Memory Man Trade Suggestions

Post by BlixaFan » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Hey OSG!

So I’ve realized I never touch my Deluxe Memory Man anymore, it’s not even plugged in on my board, so I’m thinking of trading if for something!

I’m thinking a reverb pedal or something kind of cool and unique…
i'm a big synth user if that helps in suggestions, so I like massive lush reverbs, delays, weird glitchy stuff...
maybe an eventide box? or a pitch shifter like a ricochet?

What would you trade a DMM for?

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Deluxe Memory Man Trade Suggestions

Post by wooderson » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:18 pm

Massive lush reverb - dollar for dollar trade option would be the Chase Bliss CXM1978 but as great as the form factor is I didn't like the sound as much as the UAFX Golden Reverberator.

Meris LVX - delays, weird glitchy stuff, surprisingly good saturation. I have one but it doesn't get enough use because of the way it works - it's not hard to program but there are so many elements to it you have to scroll through 20 screens to cover all the types of delay, preamps, filters, etc.. Perfect if you want to create all your presets ahead of time and move through them but I like to tweak in the moment and it's not so good for that.

OTO Bim & Bam - glorious delay and reverb but they're not pedalboard appropriate and the interface is designed to be annoying.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:29 pm

BlixaFan wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:40 pm

i'm a big synth user if that helps in suggestions, so I like massive lush reverbs, delays, weird glitchy stuff...
maybe an eventide box? or a pitch shifter like a ricochet?

What would you trade a DMM for?
About a year after I traded my '96 DMM I totally regretted it. Then they became too expensive so I said fuggit, doesn't matter. Luckily another landed in my lap and it's just too good to part with ever again. That is, for guitar use. I got rid of it cuz it didn't work well with synths. So if you still play guitar, I would hold onto it. It'll continue to go up in value.

For synth stuff, I have an old Space Echo but all I really use is my Strymon Volante. I can lock the tempo via MIDI with my sequencers and MPC Live 2, it works perfectly for me. I place it in an Aux Send on my mixer and in the Volante's settings, I set it for Wet only, no dry. It's perfect.

For Reverb I use an Eventide Space in another Aux send. It's not the most exciting reverb but it works great for me.

I also have a DBA Rooms but it doesn't work in Line Level situations like an Aux send but it can
handle most simple monosynths in the front end like an SH-101, Odyssey, Prodigy, MS-20, etc. It really shines in the accessory loop of my Rhodes Suitcase. Combined with the panning vibrato it's just amazing.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:27 pm

I agree with hanging onto it if you can afford to.

I fooled around with an Eventide Blackhole in a shop recently and really dug the sound of it. Lush, but with a slightly sinister vibe. Also switchable between instrument and line level. These are $150ish used which isn’t too bad. It just wasn’t quite my thing.

I wanted to like the UA Golden, when I actually tried one it was not for me.

My next purchase in the reverb/delay category will almost certainly be a Catalinbread Adineko. It can do vanilla sounds, but can also get real weird.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:51 pm

Isn’t the answer here always a Timeline & Big Sky combo? :whistle:
Last edited by sal paradise on Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:16 am

I dug out my DMM* last week for some living room 1 amp/1 pedal noodling. Sounded great but I switched it out for an Eventide H9 after a day. I love the DMM and how dreamy it is but I’ve been playing more with the Micropitch algorithm (pitch/delay) and I stumbled across a whirring, chorusy delay that I’d long been trying to get (Dave Fielding from the Chameleons) — which was why I got a DMM in the first place. The DMM went back in the effect pedal vault / steamer trunk.

There are just so many amazing effects out there. The DMM is one the pinnacles of analog delay, but there are some amazing digital pedals out there (H9 max, Eventide stuff, strymon stuff, Meris LVX - although I’m still irrationally holding a grudge against them for the Polymoon UI). There are tons of options and tons of pedals. Not so many old DMMs around though, and they’re getting pricey. It’s a question of whether the DMM is inspiring to you. If it isn’t, don’t feel bad about letting it go. I just wouldn’t trade it for multiple cheap or common things unless they too are inspiring. (Too easy to have it evaporate into a bunch of unsatisfactory smaller things).

I love the DMM but I wouldn’t buy them at the current prices ($750? 800?)

For my (current) tastes, I’d do some combination of :
Eventide H90 (without hesitation)
Eventide H9 Max + core (would think a sec) (or max + small bunch of cash)
Strymon Volante (or new boss nostalgia delay) + ____
A bunch of cash + _______ (bigger Eventide, smaller Eventide; Space is cool, the others are cool but we’re just on sale for 299;
Vintera (or MIJ) JM or Jaguar (my first thought actually)
There are a bunch of cool glitchy pedals (red panda, chase bliss, ct5 etc) but I don’t have experience there.

I’d suggest first just plugging it into an amp and spending some time with it again. Maybe it’ll hint at something inspiring, maybe not.

* I remember when they were still $150 used, and I ended up with a round knob/wall wart (very good) and pointy knob/cord (which I like better). No idea on number or models of chips. Both are some of the best delays I’ve been heard. Neither is on my board. I’ll probably hold onto them both until I’m old then sell them to some kid who’s actually more excited about some random pedal I tossed in because StinkEye from Mixelflick used it to get their signature kazoophonic tone in 2035)

I’ve been meaning to put together a I love the 90s board: rat, big muff, DMM, [rv2 (which I no longer have)] But all are currently showing their age with funky switches etc. and then I play my actual pedal board and it makes sounds I like, which is the whole point, right?

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:57 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys! (No delay pedal pun intended.. :D :D )
I guess maybe me mentioning synths threw my question off, as I’m definitely looking for a pedal for guitar!

Cestlamort funny you mentioned the H9. I was looking at them and they are looking very interesting. Could scratch a lot of itches with it… hmmmm

I will plug in the DMM tonight though.. I like the warbly sound on it, just like on Mars Volta’s Eunuch Provocateur.
So many ideas now. You guys rock

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:32 pm

BlixaFan wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:57 am
Thanks for all the feedback guys! (No delay pedal pun intended.. :D :D )
I guess maybe me mentioning synths threw my question off, as I’m definitely looking for a pedal for guitar!

Cestlamort funny you mentioned the H9. I was looking at them and they are looking very interesting. Could scratch a lot of itches with it… hmmmm

I will plug in the DMM tonight though.. I like the warbly sound on it, just like on Mars Volta’s Eunuch Provocateur.
So many ideas now. You guys rock
Awesome. Glad there are some interesting suggestions.

(long Eventide spiel to follow):

Just a heads up (for everyone): now that the H90 is getting shipped out again (after a bunch of production delays), the prices for H9 pedals are dropping as people upgrade. (The H90 is basically 2xH9 Max with some new effect algorithms, plus other neat new features; may or may not be worth the extra premium for many people but it is a definite upgrade). Current price estimates: H9 Max ($599 new, maybe $325-350 used), H9 standard or core (no longer available new, less than $300 used). H90 = $899 new, $800 or so used.

And, since their tiered model is kinda confusing: H9 Max (all effects), H9 Standard (a few effects from factory), H9 Core (one effect from factory). The initial idea was that you buy what effects ("algorithms") you wanted a la carte. The H9 Max comes with everything and "powers up" any additional H9 units you have to all effects (so the H9 core is a magical free loader / coat tail rider / part of the Max entourage / however you want to look at it). But (!) they closed the store, so you can't buy additional individual algorithms (but you can "max out" a core or standard to a "max" for $220 or $120, respectively). In short: if you're getting one, be sure that you're getting the MAX version. If you then get a second one, it can be any of the versions and it will bask in the MAX glory of your MAX while they're both on your account. Also note: H9 = only one algorithm at a time (although some algorithms have multiple effects); H90 = two algorithms (now called presets) at a time (in a "program"). Both have computer programs, the H9 has a bluetooth app for your phone. They're no longer developing stuff for the H9, but have already introduced a new (+ free) effect in the H90, with more probably down the road. Worth noting that the bulk of the effects (algorithms) were legacy effects from the *factor series (time factor, mod factor, pitch factor, space) with some new ones. So that's digital stuff from 2006 or whenever (albeit really advanced digital stuff). Whatever the case, they sound great at what they do and there are communities for sharing presets for both the H9 and H90, which is helpful. (And it takes a while – or long while – to really learn how to use them, but well worth the effort IMO, even though I'm still finding my way a few years into using them). If I suddenly lost all my guitar effects, an H90 or H9 Max would be the very first thing I'd buy again.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:09 pm

I appreciate all of that info! You’re gonna sell me on one if you keep it up!

Plus I think it would be. Cool option to have for some outboard stuff when recording

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:29 pm

I will say that I still prefer the DMM over any software pedal I have when it comes to using an old tube amp.
My volante rules at everything except being in front of my old Deluxe Reverb. The DMM kills it there.

But the delay pedal that I use on my board is the Moollon Delay, the big silver etched model.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:47 pm

Don't bother. I, like many others, circled away from the DMM for many many years only to eventually come back around to what is, almost undeniably, the best there is - which is a DMM.

Regrets? I've had a few
had a few
had a few
had a few
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:31 am

I will NEVER give up my corded 90s DMM

But.

It's not actually on my board. I bought the nano DMM last year, and honestly...it does the job perfectly. If I were to give up the big box, I'd buy one of those and blow the rest on fuzz pedals (or in your case, some dreamy reverbs).

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:45 am

I bought one of the reissues brand new in late 2000 and it lasted exactly one band practice. I was pissed. The store offered to exchange it, but I insisted on a refund.

It was a wonderful sounding pedal, and given what they go for now I slightly regret my decision, but I’ve never been that stoked in EHX’s build quality.

If I had a working one now I’d hang onto it though.