Everyone needs a stompbox.
Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rediscovering pedals...

Post by Vinkie » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:54 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 pm
Oh wow I had forgotten you got one of my old SHOs! 8)

I've had two in the past..one was a '98 or so...was it that one?

Great to hear your setup is working well! :)
I am almost embarrassed to say so but yes, it was your '98. At the time I thought it was redundant next to my SD after some time. I corrected my mistake this year with my current '07, from the same year as my SD. It was modded for use upright: the pot and switch were changed around, the layout was messed up. I had a good amp tech friend restore it to original specs. The circuit wasn't compromised but I am happy to have it restored. And no, I won't sell it again

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:44 pm

There are a few other 'round #2' pedals in my setup. I did some rediscovery over the past few years:

- Throbak Overdrive Boost: I was trying to switch my setup in the band I played in from Fender Tremolux amp and Jazzmaster to ES335 and Marshall 2061 20W. The Throbak would in theory work well but I didn't really got along with the setup anyway. So I went back to my previous one and sold the pedal. On a whim I got another one years later because I remembered I liked the EQ and wanted to try it again with a JM and Fender amp. And I never looked back, I think it works great together with the ZVex's as an always-on slightly gritty mild overdrive. I quit the band but kept the 335 (and love playing it through Fender style amps).

- EAR AD4096 analog delay: I loved its pretty dark and blurry delay sound and it likes oscillate, but I thought it was too (clock-)noisy so I passed on it. A friend of mine got it instead and it became almost the center piece of his band sound. Later on I found another one, loved it but when V2 came out I upgraded and sold my first one. While the V2 had loads more interesting features and sounded great as well, I eventually found out I don't really use the added features and missed the simpler interface and smaller footprint of V1. So I switched back again and am very happy I did.

- ZVex lo-fi loop junky: I liked it at first, mostly as a ZVex fan but coming from a Ditto looper thought it to be too gimmicky. I couldn't really use it with the band either. So out it went but shortly after I started playing more improvised and ambient music live. I joined a band playing (mostly) soundscapes behind a poet reading/reciting his poems. I figured a LFLJ might be great for that setting and it needed another go. It works great for creating short samples/loops on the fly. Apart from short phrases I also like looping random ticking and scraping noises to add some tension and weirdness.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:07 pm

Vinkie wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:54 am
zhivago wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:36 pm
Oh wow I had forgotten you got one of my old SHOs! 8)

I've had two in the past..one was a '98 or so...was it that one?

Great to hear your setup is working well! :)
I am almost embarrassed to say so but yes, it was your '98. At the time I thought it was redundant next to my SD after some time. I corrected my mistake this year with my current '07, from the same year as my SD. It was modded for use upright: the pot and switch were changed around, the layout was messed up. I had a good amp tech friend restore it to original specs. The circuit wasn't compromised but I am happy to have it restored. And no, I won't sell it again
Heheh...that '98 was sooooo clean, it was scary! :-*

Definitely keep the one you have now. :) 8)
Resident Spartan.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:23 am

I have a habit of collecting pedals and rotating them in an out of boards. My home set up is a single 9v power supply for random effect and mix and match battery powered ones.

I've rediscovered the stone deaf pdr2. There's no volume for the gain so it can be tricky to set up but the parametric eq is crazy.

I bought a walrus slo and never really got into it. It's a soundscape generator but I'm using it as a subtle reverb. I usually use the room setting on the red panda. However if you mix the slo low with a short reverb and minimum wobble and octave it let's the dry sound breathe but adds some ambience.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:21 pm

It's fun to have a nice collection of pedals and test them thoroughly at home. I've done it for a long time as well but these days I am clearly more in a 'gear minimalism' phase. I am trying to stick to the pedals I love most and stop trying to find alternatives for them.

Then again, either way, ..., there are always exceptions, like this '02 pink Super Duper. It just made me laugh, never saw a pink one before. Ugly/cute, a sweet pastel colour for an at times pretty rough and raw sounding pedal... I couldn't resist and went for it :) Image

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:19 pm

Vinkie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:21 pm
It's fun to have a nice collection of pedals and test them thoroughly at home. I've done it for a long time as well but these days I am clearly more in a 'gear minimalism' phase. I am trying to stick to the pedals I love most and stop trying to find alternatives for them.

Then again, either way, ..., there are always exceptions, like this '02 pink Super Duper. It just made me laugh, never saw a pink one before. Ugly/cute, a sweet pastel colour for an at times pretty rough and raw sounding pedal... I couldn't resist and went for it :) Image
Very cool! A friend of mine from HCFX had a pink one like that back in the day. :)
Resident Spartan.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:34 pm

i just got an old Boss OD-1 from Jay that I think was once mine but I can't remember (he and I swapped gear a bunch years ago). Anyway, it's a cool pedal. It's both great and terrible at the same time. It's all about application. That's what's fun about pedals... finding out where one works to its full potential.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:31 am

100%!!! 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:36 am

all this talk of fuzz factories reminds me of the time my friend plugged her uke into mine.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'