Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Rediscovering pedals...

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:00 am

zhivago wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Hahaha! I too never got on with the Fuzz Probe...maybe I should give it another go! :D

I know you are the same way, so I don’t feel too bad, but isn’t it a bit insane how many times we’ve bought, sold, and rebought the same pedals over the years? Multiple times for me on many of them. And guitars too! Ha!
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:14 am

i love sharin foo wrote: isn’t it a bit insane how many times we’ve bought, sold, and rebought the same pedals over the years? Multiple times for me on many of them. And guitars too! Ha!
I’m guilty of this too. I’ve literally bought THE SAME EXACT guitar back from someone, only to remember why I sold it in the first place afterwards. :fp:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:16 pm

Oh my god, it is criminally embarrassing how many times I have bought and sold particular pedals. :-[

At least 4 Fuzz Factories all 2000 or before, 4 Loop Junkys, 3-4 SD 2-In1s, 3 Octanes (including a very early Octane 1 - probably one of the first ZVex pedals ever made), many Wah Probes...god, 3 Machines, 3 Seek Trems...it goes on and on...that's just the ZVex...then there's the Maxon AD-900...I think I am on my 4th...3rd at least Boss RV2...and these are just the ones I can remember right away! :D
Resident Spartan.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm

Why does this discussion make me feel like I have a problem in never selling any of my hundreds of pedals?

Off topic, but while we're discussing Zvex -

I have an almost complete collection of Myrold painted models. I met Jason when I lived in Minneapolis and had bought one of his blood paintings, so it's as much about his work as it is the functionality of the pedals. I'm just missing a nano amp. I managed to find a Machine from 1998 with almost no paint job (done before the design we all know) and a very odd (and amazing sounding) reverse Fuzz Factory...also from 1998...that I emailed Zach about to make sure it wasn't a fake. He vouched for it's authenticity.

I've had a Fuzz Probe for 15 years and I still don't get along with the damn thing.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:38 pm

ryland wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm
Why does this discussion make me feel like I have a problem in never selling any of my hundreds of pedals?

I have an almost complete collection of Myrold painted models. I met Jason when I lived in Minneapolis and had bought one of his blood paintings, so it's as much about his work as it is the functionality of the pedals. I'm just missing a nano amp. I managed to find a Machine from 1998 with almost no paint job (done before the design we all know) and a very odd (and amazing sounding) reverse Fuzz Factory...also from 1998...that I emailed Zach about to make sure it wasn't a fake. He vouched for it's authenticity.

I've had a Fuzz Probe for 15 years and I still don't get along with the damn thing.
Very cool!!

I too had a very early Machine, mine had the minimalist graphics:

compared to a newer one with the standard graphics (which I also had a the same time) they were pretty much identical to my ear...just sounded like chaos in a box! :D
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:09 am

I've never owned a Zvex but I like the sounds people get from them (like Low, not like Muse)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:15 am

They are great pedals...can be temperamental sometimes, but I find them quite inspiring.

I've been a fanboy for decades now...I have literally owned dozens and dozens of them since the early 2000s. :-*
Resident Spartan.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:32 am

zhivago wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:38 pm
ryland wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:50 pm

Very cool!!

compared to a newer one with the standard graphics (which I also had a the same time) they were pretty much identical to my ear...just sounded like chaos in a box! :D
Oh yeah, that's the Machine graphic I have. I've found that a Machine is a Machine, I've even built clones and they all sound the same! Love the early Octane.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:17 am

8)
Resident Spartan.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:50 pm

I just plugged in my Freakshow FX Brown Rabbit (Rat Clone) in today, and well, that won me over quickly. It sounded like crap through my Vox and my Ampeg, but my Marshall Origin 20? Hellllll yeah. I was playing the Ric 330 through it and it was just killer.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:52 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:50 pm
I just plugged in my Freakshow FX Brown Rabbit (Rat Clone) in today, and well, that won me over quickly. It sounded like crap through my Vox and my Ampeg, but my Marshall Origin 20? Hellllll yeah. I was playing the Ric 330 through it and it was just killer.
Oh man, I forgot about Freakshow FX!

A Rat into a Marshall is pretty much what the pedal was designed for - it's no surprise it sounds righteous.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:55 pm

JSett wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:52 pm
Jonesie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:50 pm
Oh man, I forgot about Freakshow FX!

A Rat into a Marshall is pretty much what the pedal was designed for - it's no surprise it sounds righteous.
I had an original Brown Rabbit and a Digilog Delay that I sold at some point, because I'm an idiot probably. He's been making some new ones recently and I got a blem version for $120. It's not hand painted or anything like the old ones, in fact, it just has a sticker on it, but it sounds fantastic.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:57 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:55 pm
I had an original Brown Rabbit and a Digilog Delay that I sold at some point, because I'm an idiot probably. He's been making some new ones recently and I got a blem version for $120. It's not hand painted or anything like the old ones, in fact, it just has a sticker on it, but it sounds fantastic.
I nearly bought one of the baby blue hand painted Rabbits back in the day. I saw one sell for over £300 not that long ago :o

God to know he's back, his pedals were highly regarded during that era.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:01 pm

zhivago wrote:

Very cool!!

All these Zvex pedals are making me wish I tried more. I once owned a Mastotron and I think it was the wrong one to get judging by this photo. Way too wooly. I bought it blindly and it was my first ever fuzz. It didn’t sound bad for certain applications but it just wasn’t my style.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:01 pm
zhivago wrote:

Very cool!!

All these Zvex pedals are making me wish I tried more. I once owned a Mastotron and I think it was the wrong one to get judging by this photo. Way too wooly. I bought it blindly and it was my first ever fuzz. It didn’t sound bad for certain applications but it just wasn’t my style.
Definitely check some out if you get a chance...the Myrold era early stuff is getting a bit harder to find, but the later Bennett era onwards stuff is plentiful. 8)
Resident Spartan.