Rediscovering pedals...

Everyone needs a stompbox.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Rediscovering pedals...

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:20 pm

I dusted off my old Fuzz Factory tonight and I ran it in front of my pedalboard.

I had forgotten how fun this green little fella can be...found a new setting I liked and ended up riffing all evening! Got some epic sounds going into my DMM. 8)

Pull a pedal off the shelf that you haven't used in a while, and post about it in this thread.
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rediscovering pedals...

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:28 pm

I have actually never tried a Fuzz Factory, I should really.

I did exactly what you did on Saturday night. I pulled out this old Mellowtone Melxotone and spent at least an hour just razzing around with it. It's a blistering velcro-y fuzz that sounds oh so 60s as well as pretty doomy with a change in guitar, tuning and amp settings.

No knob, just a switch, hours of fun..also fed into my DMM :D

It was built 13 years ago, on my birthday...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:45 pm

Wow!

Very cool pedal!

I am surprised you've never had a Fuzz Factory...it can be a bit temperamental...which can lead to hours of frustration...gotta love it, really! :D
Resident Spartan.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:23 pm

I had a Fuzz Factory for a hot minute but found it confusing and temperamental. I should have held onto it and given it more time to learn what it's capable of, but that was at a time when I bought and sold an obscene amount of gear; anything that didn't immediately click with me was hastily returned, sold, or traded. It's a little embarrassing when I think back on all the cool stuff I've owned and sold. ::)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:39 pm

I still have my old Fuzz Factory. The old ones with the older transistors are the best. There's nothing like it.

When it comes to distortion, I've been enjoying my Boss DS-1 into the BD-2 or just my 1986 RAT.

As for rediscovering any pedals, having a '96-97 EHX DMM again has been wonderful.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm

I built myself a fuzz factory clone last year, it was the first pedal I ever built (just a musikding kit), and the first real fuzz I got. It's really fun to play in many different setting, it sounds huge !

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:13 pm

Telliot wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:23 pm
I had a Fuzz Factory for a hot minute but found it confusing and temperamental. I should have held onto it and given it more time to learn what it's capable of, but that was at a time when I bought and sold an obscene amount of gear; anything that didn't immediately click with me was hastily returned, sold, or traded. It's a little embarrassing when I think back on all the cool stuff I've owned and sold. ::)
I totally understand Todd, I've had at least four Fuzz Factories over the years! :D

They can be soooo temperamental at times, but after I spent a bit of "focused" time with one, taking it slowly things became clearer. :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:14 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:39 pm
I still have my old Fuzz Factory. The old ones with the older transistors are the best. There's nothing like it.

When it comes to distortion, I've been enjoying my Boss DS-1 into the BD-2 or just my 1986 RAT.

As for rediscovering any pedals, having a '96-97 EHX DMM again has been wonderful.
I looooove big box DMMs! :-*

Mine is early 00s (I think) and it kicked an Echoczar off my board! :o 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:15 pm

Flurko wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm
I built myself a fuzz factory clone last year, it was the first pedal I ever built (just a musikding kit), and the first real fuzz I got. It's really fun to play in many different setting, it sounds huge !
Very cool! It is crazy how few parts it has...every time I look inside I giggle. :D
Resident Spartan.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:02 am

Oh yes, the untameable Fuzz Factory has been a favourite of mine in the past. You've inspired me to dig it out and see what I can do with it again.

Wrote an album around a FF years ago https://petrock2.bandcamp.com/album/lay-an-egg

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:05 am

I had a similar experience last year with my Supersonic Fuzz Gun. For me, learning the basics of a schematic helped me see the audio signal like a water pipe and the knobs like pressure balance valves along the way. Really taught me what each knob would affect and how I could shape it.

Opened the thing up from a one-note, Mosrite-esque mosquito buzz to razor-sliced gated sounds and big fat bronto fuzz. Really changed my perspective on what it could do.

Pedals: try playing 'em!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:21 am

This thread is making me want to break out my Roland BeeBaa fuzz. It’s been a few years.

I tried a Fuzz Probe once, but never a Fuzz Factory. It was around 2001 and I was looking for something different. I don’t know how a Fuzz Factory would react, but I could only get one sound out of the Probe.

Bagpipes. Fucking bagpipes. No matter which knob I turned or where my foot was. Even the shop owner (Emerald City Guitars) said “I’ve heard a lot of crazy sounds coming from that box, but never bagpipes!”

Mosrite mosquito tones would have been fine.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:14 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:02 am
Oh yes, the untameable Fuzz Factory has been a favourite of mine in the past. You've inspired me to dig it out and see what I can do with it again.

Wrote an album around a FF years ago https://petrock2.bandcamp.com/album/lay-an-egg
Sounding great! 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:21 am
This thread is making me want to break out my Roland BeeBaa fuzz. It’s been a few years.

I tried a Fuzz Probe once, but never a Fuzz Factory. It was around 2001 and I was looking for something different. I don’t know how a Fuzz Factory would react, but I could only get one sound out of the Probe.

Bagpipes. Fucking bagpipes. No matter which knob I turned or where my foot was. Even the shop owner (Emerald City Guitars) said “I’ve heard a lot of crazy sounds coming from that box, but never bagpipes!”

Mosrite mosquito tones would have been fine.
Hahaha! I too never got on with the Fuzz Probe...maybe I should give it another go! :D

I've been fantasising about getting a BeeBaa for probably 15 years...I really should get one eventually!
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:17 pm

MrShake wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:05 am
I had a similar experience last year with my Supersonic Fuzz Gun. For me, learning the basics of a schematic helped me see the audio signal like a water pipe and the knobs like pressure balance valves along the way. Really taught me what each knob would affect and how I could shape it.

Opened the thing up from a one-note, Mosrite-esque mosquito buzz to razor-sliced gated sounds and big fat bronto fuzz. Really changed my perspective on what it could do.

Pedals: try playing 'em!
This makes so much sense...many times in the past I've been guilty of the "if it doesn't set my heart on fire in the first 10 mins it's not for me".

Maybe I am more patient as I get older. :D
Resident Spartan.