taking a gamble on an old German tape delay...!

Everyone needs a stompbox.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: taking a gamble on an old German tape delay...!

Post by 46346 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:45 am
Oh that's a good deal! These have been creeping up in price lately.
There's plenty of spare parts around (in the EU) I believe, so anything amiss can be fixed pretty easily.

Just for fun; one of my favorite performances featuring it's little cousin, the Klemt Echolette 5.
really great song and cool video!

were you running both vocals through the Echolette? it looks like maybe you're sending an aux out to it from a mixer? that's a killer slapback, real swampy.

i'm pretty sure the Echolette and Dynacord are exactly the same size, the cases look identical (in photos anyway), and the transport mechanicals look the same, and both use a 51cm tape loop.
i'm about to find out for sure!

here's my Echolette, it's actually the heart of my personal instrument set-up in our studio, at minimum it's a fantastic 'tube mixer' especially when writing and jamming. as you can see, i actually use all three inputs - the two main inputs with level and tone shaping are great for warming up the digital Mellotron (original Telefunken ECC83s!), and taming my Wurlitzer 200a which can get noisy and a bit wild. somehow the impedance works well to help get those to match levels to my guitar rig, which comes into the more mysterious Input 3. somehow, it's all pretty quiet!

Input 3 has no controls, and apparently there's no tube in that circuit - i can guitar play through it when the Echolette is switched off, which is cool if i don't have everything powered up. that's actually a good input for my guitar rig, as i already have plenty of tone shaping and level control on my pedalboard. so it's a great little Telefunken instrument mixer!

and when i finally engage the tape delay and we all freak out!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:11 pm

GreenKnee wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:17 pm
Vinkie wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:24 pm
That's good to know! We have a couple of knackered ones at our studio. I should give them some TLC and see if I can breathe some life in to them
Probably worth the effort :) both tube versions and (somewhat clearer sounding) transistor versions like MkIVs usually need a few elcos and resistors replaced. Mine even had an original factory wiring mistake ;D

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:26 pm

46346 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:33 am
i was eyeballing MkII Copicats earlier this year, actually i looked into ALL the copicats and figured the MkII is the one for me. but i didn't find anything in the U.S. before my budget went elsewhere.
my simpler tape echo is an early tube Echoplex quite a fun time and classic tone, though it's a bit noisy, especially mechanically. the Roland 501 and the Echolette are dead quiet in comparison.
I can see MkII's aren't so easily found in the US. In the Netherlands over here the transistor MkIV's are quite common, but even the MkII's aren't that rare. It took me a while to find mine, I eventually grabbed it from a Catawiki auction. But within a week two more of them surfaced at lower prices than I paid :D Then again, they had knackered exteriors, all replaced heads etc. so I am still happy with mine, especially after it was thoroughly serviced.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:22 am

46346 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:28 pm
Steadyriot. wrote:
There's plenty of spare parts around (in the EU) I believe, so anything amiss can be fixed pretty easily.

Just for fun; one of my favorite performances featuring it's little cousin, the Klemt Echolette 5.

were you running both vocals through the Echolette? it looks like maybe you're sending an aux out to it from a mixer? that's a killer slapback, real swampy.
Oh no that’s not me! Just a local band from a few years back.
It looks like they’re running the synth through the Echolette but I’m not sure how everything is routed. Maybe it’s an aux as you say; as delay is heavily featured in the song.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:18 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:22 am
46346 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:28 pm
Steadyriot. wrote:

Oh no that’s not me! Just a local band from a few years back.
It looks like they’re running the synth through the Echolette but I’m not sure how everything is routed. Maybe it’s an aux as you say; as delay is heavily featured in the song.
whoops, ok! ...when i saw it was a Dutch outfit, i figured you were pretty close to the project.. well, i'm glad you showed us this either way, i agree it's a great performance!
and a good example of the Echolette brings plenty of punch.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:32 pm

Vinkie wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:26 pm
46346 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:33 am
i was eyeballing MkII Copicats earlier this year, actually i looked into ALL the copicats and figured the MkII is the one for me. but i didn't find anything in the U.S. before my budget went elsewhere.
my simpler tape echo is an early tube Echoplex quite a fun time and classic tone, though it's a bit noisy, especially mechanically. the Roland 501 and the Echolette are dead quiet in comparison.
I can see MkII's aren't so easily found in the US. In the Netherlands over here the transistor MkIV's are quite common, but even the MkII's aren't that rare. It took me a while to find mine, I eventually grabbed it from a Catawiki auction. But within a week two more of them surfaced at lower prices than I paid :D Then again, they had knackered exteriors, all replaced heads etc. so I am still happy with mine, especially after it was thoroughly serviced.

yeah, i like to get as good a deal as i can, but sometimes the time is right, no matter the market fluctuations. if the price is right when you're ready, might as well go forward with your idea

we may be doing a London/UK trip next year, perhaps something will turn up!

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

gamble on an old German tape delay -it's here!

Post by 46346 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:47 pm

arrived! small but densely heavy package, all of one piece.

it's quite clean and all together! some signs of age on the knobs and around the magic eye.
not a museum piece, i can tell this has been played but not abused:

transport area is only mildly dirty, the tape loop appears old and worn (as was disclosed).
a quick dusting/ brushing of the area before cleaning the heads and transport...

good news - as i had surmised/hoped, all five of the ECC83/12AX7's are original Telefunken circa 1964!
the final sixth tube is a Dynacord branded 12AT7 which appears to be of Telefunken origin as well:

now to gather up all my DIN cables and see what we can get from this...

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:37 pm

Great buy