Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: your effects setup?

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:30 am
digiverb before fuzz is very interesting. i'll have to try that!
That was a huge part of the sound that Sune of the Raveonettes had on the earlier stuff.. reverb into dirt. It’s a cool sound for sure.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:37 am

Acquired new pedals, did some rearranging.

Home fun board

Band board
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:22 am

DC2 + DMM = heaven! 8)
Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:25 pm

I dug a couple of things out and had another reshuffle to keep things fresh....

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:53 am

I finally got around to re-wiring my board last night... 8)

Resident Spartan.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:03 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:53 am

Boss pedals next to a Klon is the perfect sign of a person who cares not about anything other than what sounds good. Love it.

Weird to see a board of yours with no reverb at all though.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:20 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:03 am
zhivago wrote:

Boss pedals next to a Klon is the perfect sign of a person who cares not about anything other than what sounds good. Love it.

Weird to see a board of yours with no reverb at all though.
Hey thanks!

My sonic voyages have taught me that all that matters is sound! :)

Good spot on the reverb front...I am currently, at times, still running the Rv2 off my board, but I find it a touch noisy at times, so I have been toying with the idea of an outboard spring reverb, but I am still in the researching stage...I might try and hunt down an Ebo unit, as it is supposed to be a bit plate-like, but with springs and valves...I am a bit weird, I actually am not a big fan of spring reverb, and I always use plate settings with my reverb pedals.

We will see...to be honest for most of my playing time I run dry, and I use reverb as an actual effect, rather than something always-on, so it is not a massive priority at the moment...especially as I need to get the house boiler replaced in the coming weeks. :'(
Resident Spartan.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:37 am

Whenever I see a last post from Z in a pedal thread I know something delicious awaits.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:20 am
Good spot on the reverb front...I am currently, at times, still running the Rv2 off my board, but I find it a touch noisy at times, so I have been toying with the idea of an outboard spring reverb, but I am still in the researching stage...I might try and hunt down an Ebo unit, as it is supposed to be a bit plate-like, but with springs and valves...I am a bit weird, I actually am not a big fan of spring reverb, and I always use plate settings with my reverb pedals.
Booo about the boiler. But a pretty important thing. We had ours done about 6 years ago thankfully.

I too am odd and am not a big fan of spring reverb. I'll use it, but I prefer a nice soft reverb...either a room or a plate set low (I use the 70s plate on my Flint). Just for space on some things at home rather than an effect.

I like spring, but not for my usual style. Occasionally I'll switch over the Flint and crank it for some Dick Dale/Man or Astro-Man jams but it's rare and short lived.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:46 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 am
zhivago wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:20 am
Booo about the boiler. But a pretty important thing. We had ours done about 6 years ago thankfully.

I too am odd and am not a big fan of spring reverb. I'll use it, but I prefer a nice soft reverb...either a room or a plate set low (I use the 70s plate on my Flint). Just for space on some things at home rather than an effect.

I like spring, but not for my usual style. Occasionally I'll switch over the Flint and crank it for some Dick Dale/Man or Astro-Man jams but it's rare and short lived.
Indeed, I find that reverb sometimes ends up messing up my playing...sort of smearing stuff together...sometimes it adds odd brightness too which can be hard to dial out...it's tricky.

...and I prefer it either subtle, or all-out crazy!! :D
Resident Spartan.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:49 am

Not pictured: Boss expression pedal, Digitech 3-button footswitch (for looping control), Eventide PowerMax + ac splitter for the MXR Flanger.

Pedalboard real estate: 3 square inches to dirt, the rest to mods/delays/reverbs. Seems right to me.

I’ve gotten a little too far into the deep end with multiple pedals doing multiple things (and the ensuing infinite possibilities). I've found myself hovering near the line of choice paralysis for sounds, but have (usually) made it back okay.

Much of what I'm doing with the first H9 can be handled by the H90, once I get my head around more of the switching (hotswitching) configurations.

The joy of MIDI is that once you set up some effects (/patches/presets/whatever) it's really easy to recall everything with just a click, even on multiple pedals. I may switch back to a Morningstar MC6 for MIDI control, however, since it is way more flexible than the pretty utilitarian (and sometimes elegant) DMC micro.

Worth noting: I've had the hardest time getting MIDI messages to work after going through the Eventide H9/H90 pedals.

Apologies: I have to address the slight rotational shifts as the velcro always seems to settle funny.

Edited to add:

Other random notes:
The MXR flanger is in the LS-2 loop.

The DC-2w and 1 H9 are stereo in the loop of the H90, which can change the order of the effect loop in regard to the two onboard “presets”. The H9 + H90 essentially function like three blocks of Eventide effects that can be moved in any order: H90A H90B H9; H90A H9 H90B; H9 H90A H90A; (+ other parallel options I haven’t explored). (The other H9 is a few pedals upstream.)

The H9 has a slight drop out when switching between effects, while the H90 spills the effects, over albeit with a slight lag in switching at times. So if I’m changing some effects mid-song, I’ve set it up so that the H9 (in the loop) handles the constant effects like delays, with the H90 changing the other stuff (chorus + reverb to chorus + ultra tap delay/verb/smear thing, for example).

(Long MIDI controller ramble)
The is a side effect of using the Disaster Area controller rather than the Morningstar. The Morningstar buttons can be programmed to send up to 16 different commands per press, while the DA DMC has a different philosophy: limited options but they’re easy to set up and you don’t have to program everything from scratch.

The DA DMC sends 1) PC messages to all pedals when you change presets, 2) you can click through to increase/decrease a PC on a single pedal but that takes a series of holds to get to the right screen, or 3) you can set up two “utility” screens of three custom messages (although with limited options), but that also takes a series of hold button presses to get there.

There’s a huge change of user error in the last two options (e.g., miss the right screen by pressing + holding one too many times, accidentally just press instead of holding and switch something earlier, etc.) so I use the DA DMC micro almost exclusively for switching to the effects before a song and then change stuff on the H90 itself mid-song, as needed. This avoids sending program change messages to both H9s (even a message of “change to the same exact effect” will make them slightly). As I write this all out, I see some other ways of working around this but still involves long presses and cycling through screens, and everything gets into the weeds really quickly.

The little Disaster Area DMC micro.pro controller (or other DA stuff) is great for starting out with MIDI and can do a number of things. It really is plug and play. But there are limited tools and options.

The Morningstar stuff can do pretty much anything, but be prepared to spend some time troubleshooting why it’s doing the wrong thing or why it’s not doing anything, etc. (It sometime reminds me of when I worked with some computational linguists, and they’d just come up with some script in Python while I’d just stare blankly. Not that complicated, of course, but it does take work. It’d be pretty easy to make the Morningstar function just like the DA, with a “starter kit” template, but I think their intention is to force people to learn the basics of programming it, which, to be clear, isn’t that difficult it just takes work. Both units have computer (web) editors.
Last edited by cestlamort on Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:34 pm

zhivago wrote:

Dead link sadly.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:41 pm

JSett wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 am

Spring I think is an acquired taste and best used situationally. I used to hate it, but now I think it's super useful as a little in the background (like constantly having a reverb pedal on) never above say 1 or 2, or if it's the kind that does good "drip" then crank it for surf rock or any time you want to do clean to overdriven alternate picked single note lead lines. If you accent notes in a certain way with fast playing the drip sound helps it jump out just right. Good digital copies can do it too, although unfortunately not the pedal I have.

cestlamort wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:49 am
Apologies: I have to address the slight rotational shifts as the velcro always seems to settle funny.

Yeah when I made a new board recently, same problem. It's close enough not to trip my OCD but you can never seem to get perfect right angles of everything for long, you pack it away then pull it back out and they've all skewed by a couple of degrees. >:(
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:03 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:46 am
I find that reverb sometimes ends up messing up my playing...sort of smearing stuff together...sometimes it adds odd brightness too which can be hard to dial out...it's tricky.

...and I prefer it either subtle, or all-out crazy!! :D
I agree. I tend to just to use a touch of amp spring reverb or plate sound from the Talisman. The Talisman is a touch bright, but I use a little predelay to differentiate the tail a bit. It ends up behaving a bit like a slapback.

And, yeah either subtle or all out for me too. I feel like in a two guitar band effects should be a little exaggerated.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:39 pm

My old Fender Tube Reverb Unit is at the end of my chain about 95% of the time. I don’t have a foot switch for it either, so it’s always on. Usually, if I use a different reverb like plate from another unit, it’ll still be run into the Fender :D I’ve been doing that for years! I’ve had that ‘65 Fender unit for 19 years now. I lean on it quite a bit.
A death’s head ring upon his finger