Opinions on WahZ

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Opinions on WahZ

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:21 am

Okay,im ordering some pedals and i can't actually try one of them so i want some opinions on it before making a decision.
The Jimi Hendrix Wah and the Classic wah,i know the JH is deeper etc and I've heard the demos on Dunlops site but need more info on 'em,the local store don't have any to try either.

I'm getting a Little big muff,its so nice that thing! :? and i need a wah but have virtually no idea on which one i actually need for my style.
My solos are sorta like J  i s'pose  but sound totally different if that makes sence  ??? :o,i just don't want to sound like I'm rippin' of someones sound.but at the same time i don't want the wah to stray to far from J's wah tones either.Last time i used a wah i was 16yo,12 years ago....so its all vague,don't even know which one it was.
so what wah would get me in this direction? How would the Hendrix wah sound with dino type solos y'all think?
I was thinking the classic but I'm not too sure,demos sound good and as far as i can tell dunlops demos are almost identical to the actual effects.

Oh,this time I'll be ordering from Brian at SuperSound Music in CA,he's a dude and does exactly what he tells you he'll do,no messin 'round!

Yay for California,boo Maine.(except Stephen king) :P
Opinions?
thanx

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinions on WahZ

Post by pullover » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:53 am

I don't know about how close to J's sound the Jimi wah is, but I had one and it sounded great. I sold it to a friend, then I bought a regular crybaby, and I wish I hadn't. The Jimi Wah sounds so much better right out of the box. If you are handy with a soldering Iron there are all kinds of things you can do mod a regular wah though. The only difference in the Jimi Wah and a regular wah is one capacitor (if memory serves me correctly). If you want to get J's sound, he probably uses an older wah with a Fasel Inductor. The Crybaby Classic with a Fasel Inductor would probably be the best choice for that.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=151026
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:45 am

I been listening to more samples of vox,dunlop and some others and its definitely a choice between a classic or JH,i'll wait till i hear more about either first though.

Its not so much J's sound i want cause i have my own sound,but to explain it to people that have never heard it is hard,J's is the closest i can explain it but its still different.

I like the J.Hendrix wah tone,but does it have the same range (distance) back and forth as the classic,like as much wah from flat all the way back?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:25 am

Fot getting J's wah tone I usually put my dunlop classic after the bigmuff..I'm pretty sure he does too..for the wah choose I suggest to buy the dunlop classic wah..it's the cheaper and youn can easily mod it..I'm going to make it truebypass and maybe some other mod to have a more linear tone escursion
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:21 am

Go with Geoffrey Teese Wahs.

If you're a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, the Picture Wah is perfect.

If you're an anal tone-sculpting kind of guy, go with the RMC-3.

Teese's stuff is the best in the business when it comes to wah pedals.  They'll cost you, but the difference is huge.

No matter what you do, make sure that the wah you settle on is true bypass.  I'm not a huge "true bypass is the only road" freak, but wahs with a buffered output are KILLERS for pedals further down the signal chain.  Many nicer wahs come with a true bypass switch already installed.  If not, it's not too tough a switch to make yourself.
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:32 am

I have a Teese RMC1 that's about 6-8 years old that is just awesome.  I bought an RMC3 recently with all the adjustable settings and none of them sounded as good as my old RMC1, even the RMC1 setting didn't sound as good as my RMC1!  No idea why.  It was still a nice wah though.  I'm really interested in the buildyourownclone.com wah pedal.  It's got trim pots so that you can adjust the tone/sweep etc. like crazy.  Seems neat and it's only $135 for the kit.  A couple hours of soldering and you've got a boutique'r for a song.

The trick to getting the J type wah sounds is to put the wah between a distortion pedal and a distorted amp or another distortion pedal.  So there a distorted signal entering the wah and then distorting that afterwards also.  A lot of the great Swervedriver sounds were done this way.  It gives that sweeping noise swoosh instead of the whacka whacka tones.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:01 am

Jay wrote: The trick to getting the J type wah sounds is to put the wah between a distortion pedal and a distorted amp or another distortion pedal.  So there a distorted signal entering the wah and then distorting that afterwards also.  A lot of the great Swervedriver sounds were done this way.  It gives that sweeping noise swoosh instead of the whacka whacka tones.
That's how I use it right now!! ;D

Bigmuff-->dunlop classic wah-->ts9 =Little Furry Things 8)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 am

I can't use a wah if it's mot right after my bigmuff. vodoo labs came out with a new wah that sounds like it would be cool.
http://www.voodoolab.com/wahzoo.htm
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:01 pm

corona wrote: I like the J.Hendrix wah tone,but does it have the same range (distance) back and forth as the classic,like as much wah from flat all the way back?
The Hendrix wah is the GCB98 with one added capacitor. So I would assume the range is same.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Well as it turns out i can't get a wah from brian in CA now because dunlop don't supply him anymore as he cant even get them as low price as some big sores like MF are selling them.....so I'll have to find a new reliable store to get it from,any suggestions? MF don't do international either. :(

I think I'll be going with the fasel also,i think the JH would get to muddy once its used with 2 bigmuffs and a blue box goin through it.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Found one i like even better, the  Vox V848 "Clyde McCoy",this is exellent,i can get it at TONEFACTOR,anyone heard about them?
People on HCFX seems to think theyre damn good.So its another new store i risk trying out,seems i always "test" stores reliability,never been ripped just messed around.....but thats what i get for being an effects junkie! :D

Oh,and thanx for everyones input. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Another wah suggestion...  use cheap non-alkaline batteries.  From my experience, they always sound better in wahs for some reason.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:31 am

I've never heard a bad word about Tonefactor and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:15 am

Jay wrote: Another wah suggestion...  use cheap non-alkaline batteries.  From my experience, they always sound better in wahs for some reason.
Really? I guess it's worth a try.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am

I can vouch for the Area 51 Wah kit.  I really love the way it sounds and it's pretty cheap to get a boutique type wah if you have or can get a cheap casing.  I had an old beatup and amateur painted dunlop wah casing, and then bought the kit for 99 bucks.  You can listen to samples on their site.