Really vintagey fuzz...on a budget?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Totoro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Really vintagey fuzz...on a budget?

Post by Totoro » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

The Danelectro 'Cool Cat' Fuzz has been very highly rated. Its quite a recent new model, and they retail for about $30/£20. Very classic sound, and a lot of manipulation possible.

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Totoro wrote:The Danelectro 'Cool Cat' Fuzz has been very highly rated. Its quite a recent new model, and they retail for about $30/£20. Very classic sound, and a lot of manipulation possible.
Please don't. Unethical company, it's a rip off of the Frantone Peach Fuzz, unethical CEO (did I mention that Steve Ridinger can bite me?) and it's an op-amp distortion anyway with a pair of LM386s.
All that aside, it sounds more like a muff than anything else anyway, so it still doesn't do what the OP wants -- thin nasally garagey fuzz.

skip
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skip » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 pm

that ashbass fuzzbrite is speaking to me-- shit man
I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, it leaves this whole other area open to people like me.
2009 Offset Guitars Fantasy Football Champion!!!!!!!!

fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fostewi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 am

StevenO wrote:
fostewi wrote:Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I just stumbled on a demo sale of the SolidGold FX Formula 76 which is supposed be based on the Ibanez Standard Fuzz (Japanese style octave up fuzz with a tone switch for mid scoop vs. hump) : http://www.moogaudio.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an older version and has less features than their newer version but the price it right (it's a demo mode, the new ones are around $250). I just ordered one...according to the site they only have a few left...(and I am not affiliated of course)

EDIT : re-reading this thread I don't think this is the vintage sound you are looking for.
Man, I'm such a sucker for that fuzz sound... Sounds exactly like the Super Fuzzz I traded to Dug.

Must. Resist.
The pedal came yesterday...next day, not bad. Unfortunately though it's not what I was hoping for. I have a late 60 japenese fuzz/wah pedal I got from my dad (Royal Double Effect Machine) and I was hoping this would be close to that but in a compact package but it really is not as similar as I hoped...the mid setting is pretty similar but the scopped setting is much less fuzzy/full and too trebly...luckily I can exchange it at Moog but now the question is what to get...their selection is amazing.

Totoro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Totoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 am

devnulljp wrote:
Totoro wrote:The Danelectro 'Cool Cat' Fuzz has been very highly rated. Its quite a recent new model, and they retail for about $30/£20. Very classic sound, and a lot of manipulation possible.
Please don't. Unethical company, it's a rip off of the Frantone Peach Fuzz, unethical CEO (did I mention that Steve Ridinger can bite me?) and it's an op-amp distortion anyway with a pair of LM386s.
All that aside, it sounds more like a muff than anything else anyway, so it still doesn't do what the OP wants -- thin nasally garagey fuzz.
Oh wow, I never knew, is there somewhere I can read up on this?

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 am

Totoro wrote:
devnulljp wrote:
The Fuzz is a straight up copy of the Frantone Peach Fuzz.
The TOD is a straight up copy of Paul Cohrane's Timmy.
When caught out, Steve 'I'm an asshole' Ridinger used it as a marketing opportunity ("COME AND GET YOUR LIMITED EDITION TIMMY AND PEACH FUZZ CLONES HERE!!! AND THE V2s WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER WITH FEATURE X, Y, Z...BLAH BLAH BLAH").
He designed the Foxx Tone Machine, so the French Toast is fair game, but pinching ideas from Fran and Paul Cochrane is a no-no in my book, especially when it goes unattributed.

There was a long and acrimonious thread on TGP (aren't they all?) but it's been deleted.
These two dive off more into the "Cool, I can get a pedal for $20" realm which is a shame.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/inde ... 47397.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=505069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Ridinger is also a piece of work who donated to Prop8because he's become some kind of an evangelical to assuage his conscience over something he did in his past (like every recovering substance abuser I've ever met who went that way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hyT7_Bx9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;D

Plus, it sounds kinda like a muff ;D

OP needs a FZ-1A, Fuzzrite, or a Tone Bender MkI...

Totoro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Totoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 am

devnulljp wrote:
Totoro wrote:
The Fuzz is a straight up copy of the Frantone Peach Fuzz.
The TOD is a straight up copy of Paul Cohrane's Timmy.
When caught out, Steve 'I'm an asshole' Ridinger used it as a marketing opportunity ("COME AND GET YOUR LIMITED EDITION TIMMY AND PEACH FUZZ CLONES HERE!!! AND THE V2s WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER WITH FEATURE X, Y, Z...BLAH BLAH BLAH").
He designed the Foxx Tone Machine, so the French Toast is fair game, but pinching ideas from Fran and Paul Cochrane is a no-no in my book, especially when it goes unattributed.

There was a long and acrimonious thread on TGP (aren't they all?) but it's been deleted.
These two dive off more into the "Cool, I can get a pedal for $20" realm which is a shame.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/inde ... 47397.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=505069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Ridinger is also a piece of work who donated to Prop8because he's become some kind of an evangelical to assuage his conscience over something he did in his past (like every recovering substance abuser I've ever met who went that way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hyT7_Bx9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;D

Plus, it sounds kinda like a muff ;D

OP needs a FZ-1A, Fuzzrite, or a Tone Bender MkI...
Thanks for that, what a shame!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Well, I'm still having a great time for garage-psych fuzz with the older Zoom UF-01. It's a two fuzz in one and can a whole bunch of vintage sounds from mile fuzz to quiet brutal disto fuzz. (Somesay it was Zoom's take on the Zvex Fuzz, but I can't say for sure as I never played one) It takes some tweaking as there are 6 knobs but once dialed in, it works great imho. We use it with great succes in our garage band.

I picked mine up used for € 45 a few years ago, even after the ywhere no longer made. So I guess that are still out there.
I owned vintage Fuzzes in the past, and this is more then a one trick pony, but needs some patience tweaking it.
There are some nice settings to be found online and I'm not sure it works with every amp. It does work with great succes on older BF SF Fender amps, like the Showman, tremolux, Bandmaster, Bassman, etc....it also works great with other pedals. It likes a driver like a overdrive in front, goes well with reverb and delay and most EHX products and it's build to survive the end of the world....looks ugly, but sounds great :)

philmanatee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by philmanatee » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 am

My friend built me a copy of the colorsound one knob fuzz that has been my favorite fuzz for a while now. Everyone that has heard it at my gigs really likes it too. I was using a vintage gray Vox tonebender before that, but it doesn't sound as good through the Dumble type amp that I'm using now. Phil

1,2,3, Pull Out!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1,2,3, Pull Out! » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

I vote for fuzzbrite.
As Han Solo said, “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good Blaster at your side, kid."

coopersounds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by coopersounds » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am

BYOC toneblender i think it's called? pretty good vintage fuzz.
Morrison big fluff - Aussie copy of big muff, use with low sustain and an eq pedal - you get vintage fuzz. ;)

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 am

Radio Havana Lo Fi pedal?

Shane110111
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shane110111 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:57 pm

The Ashbass just has that loud thin nasally buzz sound that you hear on pretty much every 60's garage rock album, it would be your best bet for getting those types of tones.