Beach House - Depression Cherry + Thank Your Lucky Stars

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Beach House - Depression Cherry

Post by shadowplay » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:48 am

OffYourFace wrote:I just picked 1989 because of the way the samples were used with pitch bend a la MBV and the gated reverb drums are a bit more hi-fi than 1984 haha. But you're right, there's a lot fo '84-85 going on.
The video for 'hands all over me' is quite Madonna-esque circa mid '80s. I don't need to see it again
The pitch bends remind me of Locust (Mark Van Hoen)Wrong which are analogue keys not guitars. I like how she sounds a bit Madonna at times and also a wee bit Siobhan de Mare. I like a bit of pout!
øøøøøøø wrote:
shadowplay wrote:the new Tamaryn elpee Cranekiss
I also really like this one.
:)

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:18 pm

i meant playing samples on keyboards for the pitch bends, not guitars... just to be clear 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm

OffYourFace wrote:i meant playing samples on keyboards for the pitch bends, not guitars... just to be clear

Aye aye!

D

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

shadowplay wrote: the new Tamaryn elpee Cranekiss

D
yeah one of my most played albums during the past two weeks, absolutely stunning.
If OSG has tort me anything...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:01 am

soggy mittens wrote:
shadowplay wrote: the new Tamaryn elpee Cranekiss

D
absolutely stunning.
It is, I considered starting a dedicated thread on it but those generally go nowhere. It has certainly accrued the most time atop Family Shadowplay's turntables since it landed and the general hubub surrounding it has been extra positive among my extended archipelago of record enthused reprobates.

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 am

shadowplay wrote:It has certainly accrued the most time atop Family Shadowplay's turntables since it landed and the general hubub surrounding it has been extra positive among my extended archipelago of record enthused reprobates.

D
$36US to ship an $18US piece of vinyl - that's just taking the piss.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 am

sammynb wrote:
shadowplay wrote:It has certainly accrued the most time atop Family Shadowplay's turntables since it landed and the general hubub surrounding it has been extra positive among my extended archipelago of record enthused reprobates.

D
$36US to ship an $18US piece of vinyl - that's just taking the piss.
Juno charge £4.20 which is very reasonable and they have thebooklet edition in stock too.

They'll also post it quicker than pretty much any shop I can think of.

Though you'll probably be able to get it local since it's out on Mexican Summer.

D

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 pm

But wait there is more!!!
Boom! Beach House have just announced Thank Your Lucky Stars, their sixth album and their second new full length album for 2015! Pre-order Thank Your Lucky Stars on Loser edition GREEN vinyl from Mistletone mail order, while supplies last! Release date: Friday October 16 via Inertia Music.

Beach House devotees everywhere are swooning with this morning’s surprise announcement that the band will release a brand new album Thank Your Lucky Stars — their sixth album, and the second album for 2015, following the rapturously received Depression Cherry.Thank Your Lucky Stars
will be available digitally and on vinyl next Friday, October 16 on Mistletone Records, via Inertia Music (CD version to follow). More info to follow very soon!On Facebook this morning, the band explained: “Thank Your Lucky Stars was recorded at the same time as Depression Cherry, but for us, it’s very much a different record. All of its songs were written after the DC songs. Along the way we realized that we didn’t want it to be released in the traditional manner. Mainly, we just wanted our listeners to hear it first. We will have more info later…… Much love, Beach House“.

You can now pre-order Thank Your Lucky Stars on Loser edition green vinyl from Mistletone mail order. Pre-orders will ship before next Friday, October 16. We also have a tiny number of Loser edition LP bundles available — you can purchase Thank Your Lucky Stars on Green vinyl, along with Depression Cherry on Clear vinyl, for $80 including postage, but be very very quick if you want one of those precious bundles!
http://mistletone.net/news/beach-house- ... cky-stars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and D meant to reply to your post above, Mexican Summer stuff is actually difficult to find in the local record shops, even the good ones. One of the buyers was telling me them and another similar label, maybe Kranky, are a real pain in the arse to deal with.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 am

sammynb wrote:
Oh and D meant to reply to your post above, Mexican Summer stuff is actually difficult to find in the local record shops, even the good ones. One of the buyers was telling me them and another similar label, maybe Kranky, are a real pain in the arse to deal with.
Hmm, I hadn't heard that. Did you manage to get it anyway?

Not sure what to say on the Beach House sister elpee, when I see things like this (especially underwhelmed as I am with BC) I generally just think to myself; 'ten best songs on on one elpee...anything of real quality left? That would be a 4 track EP.'

D

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:40 am

Apparently there's a new Beach House album coming out in a week! I haven't even fully digested Depression Cherry yet!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 am

eskmsaul wrote:Apparently there's a new Beach House album coming out in a week! I haven't even fully digested Depression Cherry yet!

yeah... wtf? Dep Cherry didn't make waves so they had a backup album? is there a "single" yet? They should've said fuck it and put out a double album. I'm a fan of the double album if done right.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank Your Lucky Stars > Depression Cherry. Just sayin :whistle:
If OSG has tort me anything...

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:17 pm

I believe you. What's odd to me is that they're in the middle of a tour for Dep Cherry and then they release another record in the middle of that tour.... What the what?

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 pm

I like what I've heard so far from Thank Your Lucky Stars.
Also, is it just me or Victoria's vocals sound a bit different than usual? Anyway, it's certainly a fresh-sounding Beach House for me, which is a good thing for sure.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:08 pm

whisperit wrote:I like what I've heard so far from Thank Your Lucky Stars.
the opening song "Majorette" is excellent, and the closer "Somewhere Tonight" has a real "David Lynch DJ's the High School Prom in an Alternate Dimension" vibe to it. i am way digging it - 8)

EDIT: and "All Your Yeahs" .... yeah!
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers