FYI; Breathless - Blue Moon being (re)issued on vinyl

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

FYI; Breathless - Blue Moon being (re)issued on vinyl

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 am

On Friday Feb 12th.

I imagine there's some fans of Breathless on OSG, either of their earlier records or due to Dominic singing with This Mortal Coil.

I'm sure lots of folk know and own this record err CD but just in case they wandered away during their hiatus and forgot to buy it maybe now is the time to check it out and IIRC that so called history of Dreampop omitted this album so I've learned to never assume anything and who wouldn't want to get this on black format anyway?

It is Breathless but not really as you knew them, on Blue Moon they are kinda like Talk Talk (or just Steve Jansen drum style) collaborating with a sort of low beam Magnog with some Cocteau Twins gold leaf brushed over the top and the occasional smidge of SM3 and the occasional acid rock star bust (or if you are listening to My Mrs; 'I always told you that record sounded like a less rockist early Verve', which I guess isn't far from describing Magic Lamp which is the boil on it's bum IMO).

Of course most of these links are recalcitrant and not working in the UK links but the ones that do might give an indication of the cobalt light that flows out of this record.

Walk Down to the Water

Magic Lamp *the song I'd lose if I was king. *Doesn't appear to play in the UK but might work where you are.

Viva

Goodnight (my favourite song on the album)

Green Finger Swinger

Come Reassure Me *

All the Reasons Slide *

Drifting *

Ballroom *

No Answered Prayers

There's also an article on this on Quietus that probably would have saved me typing the guff I wrote up top.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: FYI; Breathless - Blue Moon being (re)issued on vinyl

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:37 am

Colour me surprised there isn't a sizeable Breathless appreciation base on here. I thought this was a stick on successful thread, back into the bubble I guess.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:05 am

I've had a listen. Never heard of them before. This stuff is pretty gloomy. I mean, it's a pretty sort of gloom though. ;) Dream-gloom? Is that a genre? :D

Clearly you need to get over yourself some more and leave us folk with common popular tastes to our own devices. :shifty:

(yes, that is a reference to another thread here, and if I say anything on it I will surely be similarly taken to task! :o :wtf: :wacko: )

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 am

Jaguar018 wrote: Dream-gloom? Is that a genre?
it is now.

Cheers for checking it out, I think it still sounds good. It is gloomy but but it's there's sparkle in the darkness for sure.

You'll know Dominic singing for This Mortal Coil. Though I also thought the very similar originalwas an awesome song on a slightly dodgy album or at least an album that wasn't generally my thing.

D

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Went through a huge Breathless listening binge in the mid 2000s (along with a bunch of other discoveries of stuff that had never made it to this dark, drizzly corner of the US).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:29 am

cestlamort wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

Went through a huge Breathless listening binge in the mid 2000s (along with a bunch of other discoveries of stuff that had never made it to this dark, drizzly corner of the US).
Ah I forgot these were probably imports in the US. Breathless records were pretty much an order in item after the first couple of weeks over here too, except just after Filigree and Shadow. I always quite liked the cough...more goth..pre album 12's, the albums were bit more 60's in construction. IIRC they were more popular in Italy than they were in the UK.

Fucking hell I just realised I got Richenel and Dominic mixed up :fp:. What a knob!

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for this, oddly enough even though I was a huge fan of 4AD stuff at the time (and managed to introduce many of my friends to obscure dreampop - thanks in part to my addiction to copies of the NME and Melody Maker that came over on the slow boat) I have never heard Breathless before. There were some bands that never managed to cross the oceans, I guess.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.