Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 am

nanamour wrote:after you recommended Beautify Junkyards in the Nord Psych Forest thread (still can't get enough of that LP btw).
That's a genuinely magical sunset of a record that probably should have cast some dappled golden light into the ordinary world. I think it's going to be seen as something of touchstone in the future with it's delicate weave of psyche folk classicism and exquisitely woozy retromodernist arrangements.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:03 am

Finally got round to sticking the Children album Rebirth on the TT for the first time. Really nice psyche reissue from 1968 that sounds way better than the skanky old copy I had already.

Children - Pictorial

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 am

nanamour wrote:
shadowplay wrote:
nanamour wrote:Dr. Jones, if you're after more French pop Idols, check out Laure Briard. She has a new album, Sur la piste de danse out and I can attest from experience that no stone ball will come after you if you get it!

Laure Briard - Révélation

Laure Briard - Toi et Moi
I just bought this, ta!

Do you know Le Super Homard?

D
Thanks and yeah, I stumbled upon them a few weeks back while excavating Mega Dodo's back catalogue after you recommended Beautify Junkyards in the Nord Psych Forest thread (still can't get enough of that LP btw).
shadowplay wrote:Transforms a rainy drive to the supermarket in your Toyota into a sun-dappled sweep down the Corniche in your Giulietta Spider.
^Truth spoken!

And if you end up liking Sur la piste de danse you might take a look at Laure's previous album, Révélation which is a bit heavier on the electrique six strings and reminds me a bit of Ma Jeunesse Fout le Camp-era Francoise Hardy, an album I have no small obsession with (e.g. Francoise Hardy - Qui Peut Dire) ...but that could be a totally superficial comparison and based on the language mostly
Liking the Laure Briard. I need to work with it a little more though. I had forgotten about Shadowplay's Le Super Homard. :)

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:16 am

Drugdealer - Suddenly ft. Weyes Blood Maybe the worst band name since Holydrug Couple, but sounds like a female fronted Bee Gees in need of some SSRI's (in a good way!) and I'm totally gaga over anything involving Weyes Blood :-*

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 am

nanamour wrote: Dr. Jones, if you're after more French pop Idols, check out Laure Briard. She has a new album, Sur la piste de danse out and I can attest from experience that no stone ball will come after you if you get it!

Laure Briard - Révélation
oh that's really good!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 am

nanamour wrote:Drugdealer - Suddenly ft. Weyes Blood Maybe the worst band name since Holydrug Couple, but sounds like a female fronted Bee Gees in need of some SSRI's (in a good way!) and I'm totally gaga over anything involving Weyes Blood
Normally so am I but this is a little too Supertramp goes Sound of Bread for me. Still, thanks for the pointer.

Not posted much recently, been buying and not posting but here's a few just in;

Shackleton - You Are the One (with Ernesto Tomasini) Sickly golden river seeping from Coil to Sakamoto to Muslimgauze to Paul Schütze as they convene in a ruined cathedral with...a renaissance minstrel and a Cardinal! I've probably had this dream a 1000 times and I never thought Shackleton would be the one to make it flesh, despite me really liking his previous music. Stunning album!

Gazelle Twin - Unflesh (Carter Tutti Remix) Chittering beats sparking like razor lashes, C&C breaches the riddum strewn Shoc Corridor of planet I Feel Love with a black hulled icebreaker. OH YES!!! Roll on Friday!

Gazelle Twin - Anti Body (Perc Remix) Perc throws an out of balance toploading washing machine into the etherworld.

Perc & Passarella Death Squad - Temperature's Rising incredible black eyed vocal from Emilie Albisser squeezes you ever tighter in a constrictor embrace.

Lou Rhodes - Circle Song beautiful somnolent folk from former LAMB singer.

Orphx - Aurora prowling crepuscular tech that's all shrieking swifts and sonar pressure drop.

Visonia - Una Andrógina Criatura rippling hall of mirrors post punk tech, like Clan of Xymox crossed with Drexciya!

Big Naturals & Anthroprophh - God-Shaped Hole I've a feeling OSG's own PPC will say OMG about how this conjures imags of Terminal Cheesecake!

And on into our late night on the Motorway section...

Cute Heels - Third Skin

Antoni Maiovvi - Autoguerra

Tried to post stuff off Alasdair Robers and James Green Plainto of Lapwing in the past but nothing up so here goes a brace of highlights;

Ballad of the Speaking Heart

The Evening is Growing Dim

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:45 pm

windmill wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDPXys5saQ

Pink Military - Did You See Her

Have heard at least a couple of songs of late that have a similar hook and chord progression.

( while looking for this tune, found that there is a "original single" version on Youtube that is different and I had never heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnYNHKJHTY,
does anyone know if the single version was sped up or was the first version posted the single slowed down ? )
this has a similar intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EqqalcmDA

In Letter Form - Edison's Medicine

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH9PFEPOHv0

Count Five - Double Decker Bus

".. here comes a double decker bus"

:)

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:09 am

shadowplay wrote:
nanamour wrote:Drugdealer - Suddenly ft. Weyes Blood Maybe the worst band name since Holydrug Couple, but sounds like a female fronted Bee Gees in need of some SSRI's (in a good way!) and I'm totally gaga over anything involving Weyes Blood
Normally so am I but this is a little too Supertramp goes Sound of Bread for me. Still, thanks for the pointer.
Supertramp's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine so I guess the AM Radio Plush-soft Hits of Yore thing sits fine with me. I know someday I'll have to answer for my musical transgressions, probably in a war crimes tribunal headed by Veronica Vasicka and Julian Cope and I'll be banished to some unspeakable hell like a soft rock version of this (load up the Exocets!), but until then bring it on! :D
shadowplay wrote: Shackleton - You Are the One (with Ernesto Tomasini) Sickly golden river seeping from Coil to Sakamoto to Muslimgauze to Paul Schütze as they convene in a ruined cathedral with...a renaissance minstrel and a Cardinal! I've probably had this dream a 1000 times and I never thought Shackleton would be the one to make it flesh, despite me really liking his previous music. Stunning album!

Gazelle Twin - Unflesh (Carter Tutti Remix) Chittering beats sparking like razor lashes, C&C breaches the riddum strewn Shoc Corridor of planet I Feel Love with a black hulled icebreaker. OH YES!!! Roll on Friday!

Perc & Passarella Death Squad - Temperature's Rising incredible black eyed vocal from Emilie Albisser squeezes you ever tighter in a constrictor embrace.
Great list but these really made my morning, thank you kindly!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 am

^^^

Thank ye!

Boney M - Rasputin absolutely first in the 'wedding' record box; straight up amazing, lyrics that are as good as any, death dealing bassline, inventive arrangement, awesome drums and claps, a treat to learn on your guitar or bass (it's generally the thing I play in guitar shops, you could say it's my Stairway!). I once saw this on a 'novelty' record list which really fucking annoyed me and it still bugs me 40 years down the road that Summer Nights kept this off the UK number one spot in 78'.

I don't fucking care if they played or sang on the record, it's still a megalith of amazing (bows) and Bobby shows dance neophytes how to impress the ladies in any dancefloor courting ritual.

Nicely nicked on this too.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:35 am

Suns of Arqa (and Prince Far I)- Brujo Magic (Unreleased Edit) steppin' all over funky town!

The Legendary Pink Dots -I Dream Of Jeannie from the totally amazing and Mariana Trench deep British Cassette-Culture: Recordings 1975-1984 (8X12, 7X7). Anyway, not a Walt Whitman song but the most incredible psyche synth masterpiece, coming on like Lemon Kittens crossed with Virgin Prunes. I've got quite a few Legendary Pink Dots records but this really blew me away.

All the Madmen - Superior Life this is on the same box set. All the Madmen are one of the few acts on this set I already had some stuff by since this was on an ancient comp and got released on a postumous elpee a few years ago.

Kevin Harrison - FlyThere's some Kevin Harrison on the set as well and I can't see anything on it to link to but I was prompted to dig out the two Kevin Harrison records I have. This fist one sees him in Japan in a shed mode (meant as a compliment)

Kevin Harrison - All Night Long think...Arthur Russell crossed with TG!

The Walking Seeds - Tantric Wipeout I was reminded of Glass records when I was listening to the VOD box and this made me thing of the later 12' by this band but it's not on youtube so I hunted down this 12' on Probe which is just the most snotty fuzzbag glitter beat trash and something I used to play out in the mid 80's.

Schleimer K - Fugitive KindAnother Glass Records Favourite. Classic post punk anguish, beautifully rubbing repetitive cardboard box drums up against sax squall.

Experimental Products - Glowing In The Dark khol eyed post punk disco!

Cosmic Hoffmann - Space Disco Does what it says on the tin!

Biosphere - Sweet Dreams Form A Shade I love a lot of Biosphere and I just pre-ordered this new album that sounds superb and has a concept I can totally get behind. Can't Wait!

Cat's Eyes - Girl In the Room the album isn't a patch in the absolutely top shelf Duke of BurgundySoundtrack but it's still well worth getting. I've said it before and I'll say it again Rachel Zeffira sounds so like Danielle Dax.

Cat's Eyes - Names On The Mountain' I relaly like the combination of fresh meadow horns and motorik on this. Alpine Motorik!

D

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:25 am

Bruce Springsteen - Lift Me Up

I'm not sure if this is a song I would have paid much attention to if it weren't for the ending of the HBO miniseries Show Me A Hero. This song was such a perfect fit for the ending. I didn't even realise it was a Bruce Springsteen song at first.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:12 am

cheesy? yes. do i love it? yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wpzKvNhfA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:37 am

shadowplay wrote:Biosphere - Sweet Dreams Form A Shade I love a lot of Biosphere and I just pre-ordered this new album that sounds superb and has a concept I can totally get behind. Can't Wait!
I love me some Biosphere.

shadowplay wrote:Cat's Eyes - Names On The Mountain' I relaly like the combination of fresh meadow horns and motorik on this. Alpine Motorik!
This is great, it just seems to keep on unfolding as it goes.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.