50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's...

Post by rhythmjones » Fri May 26, 2017 7:09 am

It was 50 years ago today...

They are releasing several commemorative reissues, including a double vinyl record with extras.

Interestingly, they've remixed the record. Here's a Spotify link to the remixed version.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6b7ycwe2rxq6FkaupNuGoS

Thoughts?

edit: Here is the NPR interview with Giles Martin mentioned below: http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... t-explains
Last edited by rhythmjones on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mitch

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper's...

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 am

rhythmjones wrote:Thoughts?

Cash grab?

I have their boxed set. I like the Beatles and I grew up liking the Beatles, so I'm not going to do one of those holier-than-thou posts about how I never liked them. (Admittedly I hardly listen to them now due to overexposure and the bad taste in my mouth from John Lennon's general misogyny.)

Anyway, can we just stop with all the vinyl reissues for albums that already sold a zillion copies? Whenever I see popular movies or albums with reissues, or extras, or the remix, all I see is a cynical cash grab exploiting dopes and completist junkies.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 am

do we need another copy of it? im guessing at this point, there are more copy's of this than atoms in the universe (excusing the 1 atom theory)
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat May 27, 2017 8:31 am

I think an album that is still relevant 50 years on deserves a celebration of some sort, so I don't mind it. It has always been my least favorite Beatles record from their post-1965 output. Excluding the obvious tracks, most of the songs are not even that good compared to other things they have done.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:17 am

If you've bought this for the umpteenth time, still have some spare change around and are in possession of absolutely no taste or style might I suggest...

Beatles for sale indeed.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am

The offset guitars forumite stereotype says sgt pepper is not cool. Too mainstream for gods sake.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 am

I listened to an interview with Giles Martin, whom the Beatles have trusted to do these remixes. He was saying the original recording was laboriously mixed for mono playback, since that was the most prevalent way of listening to music at the time, especially in Britain. In fact, the stereo mixes were such an afterthought, the Beatles didn't even show up to the studio to approve them. So, according to Giles, this was the first time anyone took the time to really go into those mixes and properly separate everything for today's standards. He also said Paul and Ringo were both there to approve it all, along with Yoko and (presumably) Sean and Dhani.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am

The NPR interview? That's what prompted me to post this thread.
- Mitch

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:09 am

Yes!

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... t-explains

I should have included this in the original post.
- Mitch

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

Yes, I bought the 5 part dvd series and both the mono and stereo cd packages that they came out with a few years ago that included each album. There is a certain charm in the mono mixes, precisely because that's how they were originally mixed, and if I remember correctly, to re-mix into stereo on some of them, they just moved the drums to the other track, and maybe the bass. Maybe it was cool for the time, but I kind of liked the mono mixes better.

This might be interesting, I'd be willing to listen to it, and if it's worth it, I might would buy a copy. I didn't appreciate the Beatles as much when I was younger, but the older I got and the more I learned, the more I love them and appreciate their brilliance, both in songwriting and working in the technology and musical influences of the time. I thought that Rubber Soul and Revolver were better albums, but I get where this album was in its time. And to me, that's the best way to appreciate the Beatles.

That watch, though - how much is a 5 second conversation starter like that going for? It's not tacky but it's not, uh...well, very much, really. Maybe as something for the man that has everything Beatles, and the trophy/tennis wife that is willing to get it for him. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open next time I'm yacht-hopping, so if I see someone wearing one I can mention it like I know something about it, and do my salesman fake-double-pistol-shots-with-a-wink move. It's much more convincing with a captain's hat and an ascot, a la Judge Smails
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:45 am

While I'm curious to hear the new mixes, I've loved the originals my entire life and don't feel the need to mess with them. I have no doubt they're tastefully done, but it feels a little icky if I'm being honest.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Telliot wrote: I have no doubt they're tastefully done, but it feels a little icky if I'm being honest.
I often get exasperated at the whole remaster carousel, even with things I really like. I start to wonder how many times do these big records go back to the well before it starts to look truly contemptuous.

When I heard about this reissue it was on the radio and Giles Martin was getting interviewed in real 'I can't believe I'm meeting him' style and I was thinking 'he's not the guy, he's the guy's son' but then I just assumed he must be 'the guy' in his own career but I can't really see any decent records he's produced, it all looks a bit K-tel to me.

Did he just get the gig through nepotism?
somanytoys wrote:
That watch, though -
It's roughly a grand in pounds and I do think it's from the land that taste forgot, it just looks so cynical. Weirdly Google pushed it at me in an ad.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Telliot wrote:I listened to an interview with Giles Martin, whom the Beatles have trusted to do these remixes. He was saying the original recording was laboriously mixed for mono playback, since that was the most prevalent way of listening to music at the time, especially in Britain. In fact, the stereo mixes were such an afterthought, the Beatles didn't even show up to the studio to approve them. So, according to Giles, this was the first time anyone took the time to really go into those mixes and properly separate everything for today's standards. He also said Paul and Ringo were both there to approve it all, along with Yoko and (presumably) Sean and Dhani.
Was that the same interview where he said the remasters were a bad idea and the little touch ups undid stuff they tried really hard to do and totally missed the point,like "wow, that cowbell now sounds like a real cowbell!" "We were trying to make it sound like anything BUT a cowbell"

:D

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking of the article with Geoff Emerick...

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 pm

shadowplay wrote:If you've bought this for the umpteenth time, still have some spare change around and are in possession of absolutely no taste or style might I suggest...

Beatles for sale indeed.

D
Why doesn't Help get its own hour, whilst Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine do???? Like, WTF?? Who designed that ludicrous thing?

As for the remix, I think the sound is as much part of the piece as the performance. You might as well get in session musicians to play the bass better, or change the lyrics to chime more with modern tastes. I mean, bless Yoko Ono, but does it really matter if she approves of the new mix of Getting Better? Or the way the sound effects mix into Day In The Life???
Just wrong, from start to finish.

The record I go in and out of phase with, and I guess I prefer Piper and satanic Majesties, but it's still great. Especially the creepier stuff like Being For The Benefit, Day In The Life and Good Morning. Definitely worth playing the original mono on a decent record player whilst playing with the cardboard cut-outs.