Graham Coxon suddenly omnipresent

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Graham Coxon suddenly omnipresent

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 am

As the thread title says, some time in the last week or so I noticed Graham Coxon all over my YouTube feed.

Specifically here, here, here and here.

All uploaded within the last month or so, give or take. I see he has The End Of The F***ing World OST to plug, but these mostly seem to be career retrospectives/historical records. I do hope he hasn't discovered he's come down with something life-threatening and wants to say his piece without having to write a book!

They get quite in-depth on his tones and creative process, so maybe of interest even to those who aren't huge fans (though obviously not David). ;)

There's quite a bit of crossover, so I'm not really recommending you watch them all unless you really rate him (like I do). Ironically the audio of the one with Stephen Street & Coxon in the studio is dismal.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Graham Coxon suddenly omnipresent

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 pm

I have virtually zero interest in Blur but have always been strangely fond of Graham Coxon. I like his attitude & his playing style. I watched the first of the four links you posted & really enjoyed it. It was great to hear him mention Slint as one of his influences. The man has taste.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat May 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Modern Life Is Rubbish was a huge LP for me in its day, but post-Parklife I didn't really follow them (though I liked the odd song here and there).

I feel that a lot of animosity towards them is because of a) Alex James and b) Britpop, but I'd venture to suggest that if Oasis hadn't existed Blur might have fared a whole lot better from a historical perspective, by dodging the Britpop (guilt by) association. Obviously it was an entirely fabricated 'movement' but it pretty much hinged on there being two polar opposite heavyweight hit machines that drank in the same Camden pub(s).

Anyway, for me, Coxon is the most interesting figure to have emerged from that era/oeuvre, with a distinctive musical voice informed by his wide-ranging influences. The fact that the Blur used to include chord boxes for the songs on their inserts was a nice egalitarian touch too.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:02 pm
I'd venture to suggest that if Oasis hadn't existed Blur might have fared a whole lot better from a historical perspective, by dodging the Britpop (guilt by) association.
This is an interesting viewpoint. There was a lot I liked about Blur at the time, although they haven't necessarily stayed the course with me. Albarn and Coxon seem to still have a drive to keep making new and different music and I think that is a good thing even if I haven't wanted to listen to most of it. It's certainly a contrast from whatever the remnants of Oasis are doing.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

m0n0mania
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by m0n0mania » Mon May 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Still no better

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm

I like Graham and I like Blur too. Didn't know people had this kind of hate towards them haha He reminds me of John Frusciante in some ways... The voice, mood always changing, acting like a spoiled child from time to time.
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 am
though obviously not David
I thought the song he did with Lisa Knapp was good, though I couldn't get all the way through his contribution to the Shirley inspired album. The playing was fine, I just couldn't take his adenoidal wee voice on it's own and I felt the arrangement was uninspiring but to be fair a lot of it was fairly forgettable with some notable exceptions.

Other than that I'd probably not just run but sprint from Blur but probably no faster or slower than I would from all of the britpop shitbags that cast a pawl over those times.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:02 pm
Alex James
fucking cheese boys permanently open gob is something of a barrier. I danced round the room when I learned Cheesefest was a massive loss for him.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 am

What did Alex James do? Lol
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 22, 2018 4:49 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 am
What did Alex James do? Lol
The only positive think I can think of is, since you mentioned them, is at least he's never been a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

D

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 am

Man! ;D

For real though... Where I'm from we didn't get much from Blur except for their music. Now I'm curious to know what they did to have people hating on them so much

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 am
Man! ;D

For real though... Where I'm from we didn't get much from Blur except for their music. Now I'm curious to know what they did to have people hating on them so much
They had the temerity to hit their commercial prime during an era that isn't quite far enough in the distant past yet for people to 'reappraise' without the race to the bottom that inevitably throws up the likes of Tony Blair, Menswear and (NSFW) Ladism.
Last edited by UlricvonCatalyst on Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am

I'm sorry... I don't get it. It probably makes more sense over there in Europe

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 22, 2018 11:42 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 am
Man! ;D

Hard for me to be objective and I'm generally the lone voice who can't stand grunge and britpop.

Horrible plastic geezer mockney knees up mother brown class tourism*.
Hint of musichall.
Retro in the naffest lowest common denominator way.
Annoying singer, annoying bass player.
Endless tabloid fodder.
Classic student 'disco' pish.
Ultra conservative.

I thought that grunge was created purely to annoy me, since it seemed to rope in so many sounds, styles and tropes I despised and I admit I took it personally but alas along came Britpop and the UK became hysterical much like medieval farmers did after eating Ergot infected grain. Unfortunately hysterical Britpoppers didn't die en mass like those who ate a lot of ergot.

One thing I'll give Blur is that they aren't Oasis but that's like saying a cat shite is better eating than a dog shite.

I was hoping it was all forgotten about but then some anniversary came up and folk actually began reminiscing about one of the worst things to ever happen in music.

D

*always bad unless it's me driving along imagining I'm a down at the heel count by day and international jewel thief by night.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Don't forget the package shoe gaze / Brit pop tour of Blur, Ride and Cathernwheel hitting posh clubs near you this summer. Second stage is Echobelly and Elastica. VIP Tickets went on sale....

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Never thought I'd see people hating shoegaze on an offset guitar forum