Kosmischer Läufer...GDR...Olympic...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Kosmischer Läufer...GDR...Olympic...

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:07 pm

I used to just run to a simple playlist but now I run to the two stroke motorik beat of the GDR and an experimental cocktail of of the finest performance enhancing drugs.

Thought it worth the heads up since all three volumes have been re-pressed and now reasonable money if you didn't buy first time round.

Kosmischer Läufer ‎– The Secret Cosmic Music Of The East German Olympic Program 1972-83 Vol 1-3
Kosmischer Läufer. wrote:For the first time since it was recorded in East Berlin over 30 years ago the music of Martin Zeichnete can finally be heard.
A disciple of the Kosmische Muzik of the likes of Kraftwerk, Can and Neu! that was drifting across the Wall from the West, Martin's idea of using the motorik, hypnotic beat of krautrock in the training of athletes was taken and exploited by the DDR's Olympic Committee
OK it's a hoax but when I bought the first one I really wanted to believe and that's almost makes it real in my book and in any case it's a joyous listen.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kosmischer Läufer...GDR...Olympic...

Post by cestlamort » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Amazing idea.

(es sollte doch "kosmische Läufer" sein, oder?)

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 pm

It's a little disappointing to know it's a hoax, just because I personally have a thing about the DDR, but it's true that it's a joyous listen!!
This is an excellent rectangle

p.eat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by p.eat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 am

cestlamort wrote:Amazing idea.

"kosmischer Läufer" is singular, "kosmische Läufer" would be plural.

p.eat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by p.eat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 am

p.eat wrote:

I haven't had enough coffee yet! The plural is "kosmischen Läufer".

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 am

p.eat wrote:
p.eat wrote:

I haven't had enough coffee yet! The plural is "kosmischen Läufer".
:derp:

Um...actually, both is correct. Depends on whether a noun marker is being used or not.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:17 am

mackerelmint wrote:It's a little disappointing to know it's a hoax, just because I personally have a thing about the DDR, but it's true that it's a joyous listen!!
I too wanted it to be real, though if it was real, we'd probably both be left with life long side effects by the end of Volume 3. Nostalgia for the GDR is apparently quite a big thing in Germany, they call it Ostalgie.

It's bizarre this has become all about grammar and nothing to to do with the music. :( Seriously who cares? Strap on your spikes, don your headphones and get in the starting blocks.

I quite like the tee shirts too, I'm not very tee shirt but those and the Blackhill Transmitter ones have tempted me recently.

D

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 am

Right. "kosmischen Läufer" needs the definitive adjective here. ("die kosmischen Läufer").

That's the real problem with the music industry: limitless budgets for the graphic designers and artists, but not even a courtesy phone call to the bilingual copy editors.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am

Dam, sold out of the black T...I'm not a massive t-shirt fan either but that really did it for me.

Mr.K
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr.K » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:38 am

I thought you'd posted about these albums a long time ago David but maybe I was wrong? Anyway, was listening to all three back in October/November. Excellent stuff, really enjoyed it.

Good to have the heads up on the repress as well. Saving for a holiday but I might get the guys in our local record shop to put them away for me.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:35 am

shadowplay wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:It's a little disappointing to know it's a hoax, just because I personally have a thing about the DDR, but it's true that it's a joyous listen!!
I too wanted it to be real, though if it was real, we'd probably both be left with life long side effects by the end of Volume 3. Nostalgia for the GDR is apparently quite a big thing in Germany, they call it Ostalgie.

It's bizarre this has become all about grammar and nothing to to do with the music. Seriously who cares? Strap on your spikes, don your headphones and get in the starting blocks.

I quite like the tee shirts too, I'm not very tee shirt but those and the Blackhill Transmitter ones have tempted me recently.

D
Got the t-shirt and the vinyl, just need the book now.

I quite like that it is a hoax, especially a hoax of some wee Scottish lads pretending to be communist composers of the 60s/70s.

IMHO the first release is the pick of the bunch.

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 am

I just finished listening to vol. 1 and I really like the music and approach. The kraftwerkian vocoder phrases do make me cringe a little, though. As a German native speaker I can't get past the accent...

Zaaittt tssuu Lllaufäään :D

But that's just a minor thing...otherwise I really appreciate it.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:57 am

Probably as good a place as any to mention this but anyone wanting genuine GDR might want to have a look at Klangfarbe - German Democratic Republic Tape Music 2xLP (or the bandcamp). Really good stuff and if this piques your interest you may want to run your check point Charlie over Science Fiction Park Bundesrepublik compiled by Felix Kubin (Finders Keepers). It's not on Bandcamp but you can listen to store samples and check out the tracks below.

CHBB - Ima Iki Mashoo

Diet - Abbelstiel

Wat Sanitär – Except Me And My Monkey

Grüne Rosen - Jungle

Lustige Mutanten - Missgeburten

D

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 am

shadowplay wrote:

It's bizarre this has become all about grammar and nothing to to do with the music. Seriously who cares? Strap on your spikes, don your headphones and get in the starting blocks.

D
Yeah, I was checking them out and I was a little sad that there are no women's shirts, just shapeless men's ones. Part of my own fascination is rooted in hearing the DDR's ace national anthem at the olympics when I was a kid, part is just straight up awe at how fucking good the STASI were at what they did. As a professional, I have to tip my hat. I've also got a lifelong love of communist propaganda art. There's just so much there to enjoy.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 am

shadowplay wrote:Probably as good a place as any to mention this but anyone wanting genuine GDR might want to have a look at Klangfarbe - German Democratic Republic Tape Music 2xLP (or the bandcamp). Really good stuff and if this piques your interest you may want to run your check point Charlie over Science Fiction Park Bundesrepublik compiled by Felix Kubin (Finders Keepers). It's not on Bandcamp but you can listen to store samples and check out the tracks below.

CHBB - Ima Iki Mashoo

Diet - Abbelstiel

Wat Sanitär – Except Me And My Monkey

Grüne Rosen - Jungle

Lustige Mutanten - Missgeburten

D
:-*