Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megagu

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am

A good read, thank you.

I liked the reference to "the inherent Surrealism of the colonial project", the early colonists often seemed to have no clue about the place they were in. We're possibly not much better now to be fair.

shadowplay wrote:Btw if people haven't seen it look up Look Around You
:D what the hell is going on there? That should be a voice you can trust!

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:The Last Wave even moreso, I'd say, but yeah - Peter Weir is the antipodean hauntology meister.
I've yet to see that, it's on the list. I bought the DVD of Wake In Fright a few months back which was pretty horrifying.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:16 am

mezcalhead wrote:
what the hell is going on there? That should be a voice you can trust!
A science teacher friend of mine showed some of these to her students for a laugh at the end of term. She had to step in when she noticed lots of fevered note taking! :o

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

:D

Doesn't surprise me, little schoolchild me learned a lot from those kind of calm patronising voices and I felt hypnotised until a few oddities* broke the flow. It's almost an exercise in critical thinking, can you evaluate the information being presented to you on its own merits despite the reassuring familiarity?

* "First, a quantity of calcium was obtained" .. presents petri dish of adult human teeth .. me: "oh ok, wait how the hell did they get those?"
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 am

mezcalhead wrote: It's almost an exercise in critical thinking, can you evaluate the information being presented to you on its own merits despite the reassuring familiarity?
"
Trump supporters struggle with the opposite of this. It's delivered like the rantings of a tramp on Buckfast but that tramp is apparently speaking the god's honest truth.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:39 am

A couple just in...

Sadly tape only Genteel Decay - A Crumpet or Two. Genteel Decay is the shadow side of Moon Wiring Club's Ian Hodgson. It's going after the sought after waking up while TV for Schools and Colleges is on when you've had one Benylin too many vibe.

Simon James (Black Channels/Simonsound)- Akiha Den Den this one is the prize. I think I posted about the lathe seven (50 only) a while ago but this full record is a total treat. Leaving aside the fact that it works great in it's original setting, it's a great record of really beautiful sounds and atmospheres.
Castles in Space wrote: Radiophonic and other dimensional library inspired cues soundtrack dilapidated ghost train rides, rusty dodgems and the domed Panatrope. The dark musings inside the mind of a talking thought-mining cockroach, a mysterious character known only as Monday Man and the main protagonist, M.R Cuttings (played by Star Wars' Ian McDiarmid), a radio ham picking up the desperate transmissions from this strange ethereal place they call Akiha Den Den.

Simon James has conjured up an eerie world of pure escapist sound for this fever dream of radio waves and half heard transmissions. The full radio drama can be heard at www.akihadenden.com

Radio interference, snatches of intercepted broadcasts, codes, tones, signals and other haunting sounds from the wireless feature heavily alongside the soundtrack conjured up on an array of vintage, unfathomable synthesisers including the Buchla 200e Electric Music Box and the EMS VCS3. Occasionally the voices of Akiha Den Den's inhabitants and M.R Cuttings burn through the white noise offering a glimpse of their tangled patchbay story.
D

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 am

Wow, cool stuff indeed!!

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 am

shadowplay wrote:
mezcalhead wrote:
what the hell is going on there? That should be a voice you can trust!
A science teacher friend of mine showed some of these to her students for a laugh at the end of term. She had to step in when she noticed lots of fevered note taking!
:D To mezcalhead's point, must've been the reassuringly hypnotic all-knowing voice commanding "take out your copybook now."

I love Look Around You, was introduced by a chemistry professor who stuck a couple of...er..modules?...on when lab was cancelled due to an ether fire ( :o !!) For the rest of the semester he called a particularly disruptive/chatty student who happened to be absent that day bumcivilian. Don't remember a thing about analytical dynamics, but I can still vividly remember look of deep puzzlement her face contorted into whenever he'd call on Bumcivilian to answer a question.

And by the way, thread of the year shadowplay. I had a wordy post typed out about convergent musical evolution and the debt I owe to Broadcast for the vast macrocosm of eerie library and hauntological soundtrack music (e.g. Lubos Fiser) I was introduced to trying to piece together the Broadcast kaleidoscope but it got lost in cyberspace, so I'll just say many thanks for a fantastic thread. Thanks also to Ulric for the film suggestions; I'll have to sit down and run through them next rainy day.

I can't say I have much to contribute that hasn't been touched on already, but with the mention of classroom television this comes to mind :-* .

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:26 am

The new Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention and Trader Horne) & Andy Lewis elpee Summer Dancing might appeal to some folk. It kind reminds me of Alpha or perhaps Saint Etienne and while not strictly one for this thread, it's the sort of record many folk who like this sort of thing would proabably want to check out.

Judy Dyble & Andy Lewis - Night Of A Thousand Hours

Judy Dyble & Andy Lewis - A Net Of Memories (London)

D

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm sure it goes without saying but for hardcore Broadcast fans, Children of Alice is James' new post Broadcast project. I was surprised to score a used copy of the vinyl a few weeks back.

I went down the Ghost Box wormhole a few weeks ago - so much good stuff there. Very timely thread - was just thinking there needs to be more music like this.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 am

glimmertwin wrote:I'm sure it goes without saying but for hardcore Broadcast fans, Children of Alice is James' new post Broadcast project. I was surprised to score a used copy of the vinyl a few weeks back.

I went down the Ghost Box wormhole a few weeks ago - so much good stuff there. Very timely thread - was just thinking there needs to be more music like this.
:w00t: I know Shadowplay mentioned Children of Alice before, but it's taken me this long to get this. :-[

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
glimmertwin wrote:I'm sure it goes without saying but for hardcore Broadcast fans, Children of Alice is James' new post Broadcast project. I was surprised to score a used copy of the vinyl a few weeks back.

I know Shadowplay mentioned Children of Alice before, but it's taken me this long to get this.
For my money the LP sounds like The Focus Group and/or Roj steered the ship, but who can really say where Cargill is at musically following Trish's death. I gather there's a fair amount of Trish Keenan stuff in his archive that may never see the light of day; his reluctance/inability to tackle it is totally understandable, but I think it's a shadow that will hang over anything else he does until he exorcises that ghost, as it were.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop: MAGA

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:For my money the LP sounds like The Focus Group and/or Roj steered the ship, but who can really say where Cargill is at musically following Trish's death. I gather there's a fair amount of Trish Keenan stuff in his archive that may never see the light of day; his reluctance/inability to tackle it is totally understandable, but I think it's a shadow that will hang over anything else he does until he exorcises that ghost, as it were.
Yeah. This is a tough one. I too, long to hear more Trish as she has one of my favorite voices in all music, but I can barely comprehend how difficult it must be to work on things with the voice of your dead partner constantly in your head. :'(

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 am

Folk should check out the Smagghe & Cross album Timothy Dalton which features as guitar by Tim Felton of Broadcast/Seeland/Hintermass.
Clovis Goux wrote:When experiencing zero gravity in a space station, or bouncing weightless across the moon’s surface, looking back at Earth-as-one, most astronauts feel dizzy at the immensity of the journey they have just undertaken. A near revelation , this sudden awareness is named the Overview Effect.

Once back on Earth, these astronauts are changed. The cognitive shift of the Overview Effect plunges them into a state of melancholy: for hours at a time, they remain lost in thought. When they eventually come out of these periods of aphasia, the astronauts are unable to express what they have experienced, but often recall having heard "strange music", similar to the music they claim to have heard close to Venus or on the hidden side of the Moon.

Smagghe & Cross's second collaboration (recorded chronologically before the MA album, released last year on Often) is the first attempt to recreate this celestial music, which up until now, had only existed in the minds of enlightened spacemen. It is reminiscent of the sound of meteors entering the Earth's atmosphere, of probes sent to infinity and beyond, their echo slowly fading from the control screens. Smagghe & Cross have boldly taken the step from the strobe lights to the Milky Way

For the past two decades, Ivan Smagghe has perfected the art of making spaced-out clubbers dance, has ridden a Fine Line and run his label Les Disques de La Mort. Rupert Cross is a London-based composer who has worked with Michael Finissy and Julian Anderson as well as writing music for television and theatre.

Before/after MA, an album which sat on the fringes of experimental music passed through a industrial particle accelerator., S&C give you the tracks codenamed Timothy Dalton (according to Ivan, "The laser sound in the track reminded us of Flash Gordon"). Neither pop, nor psychedelic, nor ambient, nor house, nor techno, nor post punk nor even new wave are spared, but none are singled out.
To nurture this proto-album, which targets paradise by plunging us into the abyss, the duo also called upon the talents of Tim Felton, the outstanding guitarist from the cult band Broadcast.

When listening to Timothy Dalton, the temporal and stylistic boundaries disintegrate to give way to all sorts of speculation: imagine the beardies from Tangerine Dream being kidnapped by Soft Cell, C86 and 1988, the Silver Apples composing a space opera with the help of an electro cardiogram monitor. Or the Wizard of OZ reviewed and reworked by Psychic TV.

Eight tracks take us from the New Orderey beaches of Ostend to the rings of Saturn, and gradually unfold before our eyes like a machine to travel through time and space. So what if Timothy Dalton was a one-way ticket to the Twilight Zone?

Really good record of squelchy motorikin ' retrofuturism, that sits somewhere betwixt Ghost Box and Deep Distance.

Smagghe & Cross - Timothy Dalton

Smagghe & Cross - Klang

Smagghe & Cross - Ostende

Smagghe & Cross - Circle Around Rings

Smagghe & Cross - Door Ajar, I Could Hear

Smagghe & Cross - Interlude

Smagghe & Cross - Janine

Smagghe & Cross - Time To Remember

I really liked the previous one MA which notably had a grimy spoken word from Adelle Stripe whose book Black Teeth and a Brilliant Smile I really enjoyed Smagghe & Cross - Cock Of The North

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 am

Misha Panfilov - Kallaste Elektrooniline Muusika

Just got this Estonian radiophonic seven inch wonder.

Btw it says sold out on the bandcamp but it's not as afar as I know if you go here.

D