Childish Gambino - This is America

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Childish Gambino - This is America

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 am

InLimbo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:20 am
You know, it's kind of strange that this video is getting all kinds of attention on this forum, but Kendrick Lamar winning a Pulitzer Prize a few weeks ago isn't mentioned (unless I missed it).
Straight up I can't get into Kendrick Lamar because I just don't like his irritating wee squakky voice, much as I can't hack more than a few seconds of any Beatle singing. I don't find his voice fascinatingly idiosyncratic, just as annoying as a weak voice raven taking up residence in your skull. When someone is rapping or talking for that matter their voice is the core and if you don't like it it's a pretty big hump to get over.

As for the Pulitzer...I instinctively feel that the world would be a better place if all award ceremonies were bulldozed into a massive hole and sealed in a surfeit of boiling lead mixed with the worlds current supply of Giorgio Beverly Hills just be sure no one goes back to dig them out...unless we can add in categories for best lobbying and most degrading pleas for recognition.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 pm
InLimbo wrote:
*As far as art and politics go, not liking one with the the other is a complete fallacy. Art is born out of its own historical milieu and cannot be put into a vacuum. It's a symptom of it's culture, while at the same time, is also reciprocated - the chicken and egg argument. Art and politics are innundated to each other, and to deny or ignore this just well, dishonest.
Holy fucking shit. You can't like one without the other? How can personal taste be fallacy? How can a statement like that NOT be fallacious itself? How can an opinion be dishonest? I mean, it can be misinformed, but that's another animal. And disagreement with your idea of the nature of the artistic/political connection is inherently dishonest? God damn, dude. Listen to yourself.
Yeah, you got me there, fair enough. I used the word "liking" which was not the right choice. Talking on the internet instead of working.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that politics cannot be separated when it comes to art. Sure, it can be ignored by the person consuming the art, but to say anything along the lines of I don't like "political art" is the fallacy, as "political art" just a redundancy. The rest of what you quoted from me I stand by.

Sure, you can say something like, "oh I like the way this song sounds, but I don't like the lyrics" or vice versa, or, "I like this guy's art, but I really don't like that he's a douchebag, so I can't support it." I mean, I'm sure there's a lot out there that people feel that way about literally anything. But cherrypicking your tastes by some way if it being apolitical, especially, especially without even experiencing it just isn't possible - and that is what's dishonest.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm

InLimbo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am
mackerelmint wrote:
InLimbo wrote:
*As far as art and politics go, not liking one with the the other is a complete fallacy. Art is born out of its own historical milieu and cannot be put into a vacuum. It's a symptom of it's culture, while at the same time, is also reciprocated - the chicken and egg argument. Art and politics are innundated to each other, and to deny or ignore this just well, dishonest.
Holy fucking shit. You can't like one without the other? How can personal taste be fallacy? How can a statement like that NOT be fallacious itself? How can an opinion be dishonest? I mean, it can be misinformed, but that's another animal. And disagreement with your idea of the nature of the artistic/political connection is inherently dishonest? God damn, dude. Listen to yourself.
Yeah, you got me there, fair enough. I used the word "liking" which was not the right choice. Talking on the internet instead of working.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that politics cannot be separated when it comes to art. Sure, it can be ignored by the person consuming the art, but to say anything along the lines of I don't like "political art" is the fallacy, as "political art" just a redundancy. The rest of what you quoted from me I stand by.

Sure, you can say something like, "oh I like the way this song sounds, but I don't like the lyrics" or vice versa, or, "I like this guy's art, but I really don't like that he's a douchebag, so I can't support it." I mean, I'm sure there's a lot out there that people feel that way about literally anything. But cherrypicking your tastes by some way if it being apolitical, especially, especially without even experiencing it just isn't possible - and that is what's dishonest.
But not all art is political. The two things are completely separable. For your argument to be valid, that would have to be not the case, and while I'm sure we can both agree that it's abysmal stuff to look at, I submit to you one Thomas Kinkade. As for "cherrypicking tastes without having experienced it", I submit literally every "gold star" homo on earth. In extending your argument, they can't know they're gay unless they've had the fruit from the opposite tree, which is obviously horse shit. I can accept that you experience art as being political, but is that the objective truth, here? You think that mayyyyybe other people experience that differently, and you're just invalidating experiences by calling that dishonest? We're talking about a very subjective thing, here, art, after all. But if you can explain to me how this:

is somehow political and make a cogent case for it, I'll consider the possibility that you haven't crawled completely up your own asshole about this.

Or does something HAVE to be political in order to be art, according to you?
This is an excellent rectangle

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

The race of who will make the worst analogy is heating up in this thread!

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm
InLimbo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am
mackerelmint wrote:

But not all art is political. The two things are completely separable. For your argument to be valid, that would have to be not the case, and while I'm sure we can both agree that it's abysmal stuff to look at, I submit to you one Thomas Kinkade. As for "cherrypicking tastes without having experienced it", I submit literally every "gold star" homo on earth. In extending your argument, they can't know they're gay unless they've had the fruit from the opposite tree, which is obviously horse shit. I can accept that you experience art as being political, but is that the objective truth, here? You think that mayyyyybe other people experience that differently, and you're just invalidating experiences by calling that dishonest? We're talking about a very subjective thing, here, art, after all. But if you can explain to me how this:

is somehow political and make a cogent case for it, I'll consider the possibility that you haven't crawled completely up your own asshole about this.

This post wasn't asking for my opinion, but i think the piece above is a commentary on how the haves and the havenots celebrate holidays: the rich decorate their mansions beautifully while the poor worship images of capitalist consumerism to distract from their complete lack of social mobility...or maybe it's about Jesus and stuff

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm

All I see in that pile of tacky shit is the reflection of the light on the ground where it goes through the ballusters; clearly it's a slushy, gross evening for there to be water on the ground like that to reflect anything. You can't tell me it's ice, because snow doesn't clear away in patches to sit on ice like that. I know slush, I'm as northern as they come. Ick. It'll be ice by morning, though, and someone's bound to slip and break their butt.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm

The song doesn’t really stand on its own that well to me, at least after hearing it the few times I have.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed May 09, 2018 5:09 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm

There are two things I feel you're going to have to accept in order to accept my claim: first you have to accept that "politics" doesn't refer only to the governmental body of a country (like the US government), but relationships and their frameworks (class, race, gender, religion, family, social events, business, etc.) that generally have one group with power over another; second is that art is a symptom or byproduct of the culture in which it is created. If you don't accept either of these fundamental hypotheses (you know, which is fine), then I think you'll have trouble accepting that all art is political. Obviously, politics are fully part and parcel to any form of modern culture, so logic follows that art as a byproduct of it's culture is, necessarily, political. That's the short version.

Now I don't know much about Kinkade's work other than I don't really like it because of how saccharine it is. But, I would argue that there is a reason in which he felt compelled, or liked, to paint them (as well as why people like them, but that's a whole other tangent). Sure, money helps for his reasoning. Aside from that, perhaps the easiest caveat on any art is that art is a response to what came before it (Dadaism is a really great example of this). I don't study Kinkade, but I imagine he places himself in some sort of relationship to the art that came before him or the contemporary art that surrounds him. Maybe he is deliberately commercial, and who knows, trying to be apolitical, which come on, definitely is political. Obviously Kinkade's art isn't as heavy handed as this thread's subject, but I'm not arguing degrees. I'm also not going to try and make an interpretation of that painting, because, well, I don't want to.

That being said, I can qualify this a little more in saying my argument is influenced by what has been studied historically.

Bear with me here.

Take a look at the movie Shakespeare in Love: one particular scene has Shakespeare sitting on a couch, being analyzed by psychoanalyst quite similar to how Freud would later be practicing roughly 300 years later. This is an example of a major anachronism (and anachronisms have upset many recent scholars who I'm using as part of my argument) but not just because Freud wasn't born yet. It's because people of the Renaissance were literally unable of thinking that way. You had the church and a communal people that lived for the church and for pure survival by depending on each other. There was no "individual" that existed for Freud to study even if he had a time traveling device to use. This is a major reason why Martin Luther's Theses were such a big deal, because they actually started to get people to have their own relationship with their god: “The Lutheran soteriology demolishes the intellectual framework and instinctual basis of the communal soteriology which saw Christendom as the historical incarnation. Now man struggled alone with his eternal destiny”* . Hell, people at this time didn't even read by themselves yet alone think of have a "self"*. Granted, the Theses were posted before Shakespeare was born, but it wasn't until after Shakespeare's death around a hundred years later did the famous "I think therefore I am" statement come from Rene Descartes, which is the exact opposite of a communal thought.

But, (and this is where it gets cool, I swear) Descartes at the time that he was writing the famous line wasn't the only one pushing the boundary over to the individual from the communal. Poet John Donne was doing the same thing in a completely different country right at the same time. His poem "The Sun Rising" is an early example of solipsism (which is very much an "individual" frame of thinking). To emphasize this even further, neither Descartes or Donne read each other's work. So something had to push them to do it (something being the dawn of the Enlightenment). Oh, and John Donne at the time his poem was written, was trying to pickup girls (hence his nickname Jack the Rake). So, like Kinkade's bad painting, he probably was not trying to be political. But, it turns out that it really was, regardless.

That's just one example of how culture (and by nature politics) are inseparable from art. I think if you accept this, it's even easier to accept that art also influences culture, creating a reciprocal relationship.

Anyway, I tried to convince you.

*A History of Private Life, Volume III by Philippe Aries and Georges Duby (1989)

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Yeah, I studied art history for a while, too. But here's the thing: I'm speaking to intent. You aren't. I absolutely accept that art is a product of culture, and that it affects culture in turn, and have never rejected that idea. Also your definition of "politics". I mean, I personally don't engage with overtly "governmental" art or much of anything that is obvious about communicating an opinion rather than a feeling, but I certainly am culturally engaged enough to understand your definition. I've never rejected it, though it's not how I've been using the word in this instance. I've never rejected the premises of your thesis. However...

People can and do make stuff simply as an exercise in aesthetics. It doesn't say anything at all, and it doesn't have to. The artists' beliefs don't matter. I guess you could spin some argument about sourcing materials, or the experience a person has had in life and how it has affected their taste in triangles and that's why they prefer the isosceles to the obtuse and it's a symbol of their pride in the face of adversity or something. And it'd be complete bullshit. You can call intentionally being apolitical a political stance, but I submit that it would be more accurately described as anti-political, where in the apolitical, stance simply isn't ever part of the equation. And if your "apolitical" stance is intentional, as it seems to be since you call it political, then it follows that intent matters in your definition. On the other hand, you're calling art a "byproduct" and speaking of it as if it just appears as if it's the inevitable sum of some shit floating around in the social climate, combining as if by some chemical process and with no real acknowledgement of the people making them and what they wanted to do in the first place. So maybe you don't give a shit about intent after all, unless probably when the intent is to be political?

Someone can just draw a picture because they like to, and they want it to please their senses. By deliberately looking past the intent of a creator in their acts of creation as it suits you, it invalidates them. Not that they'd ever know it, but it's invalidation just the same. I mean, I completely understand your (very) overstated point and where you're coming from, but I can't and don't agree that the realities that artists live in trump their creative intent and define, or even necessarily inform their art beyond the strictly physical aspects of assembly.

The categorizations you invent aren't ironclad or even necessarily relevant, they're just reflections of your point of view. There is nothing definitive about them whatsoever, no matter how well you argue that they are. You're certainly free to see things as political, and they can be to you, but what is relevant to me as defining the political in art is a creator's intent at the time of creation. I can accept your point of view, but not as definitive. And I think that to claim it as definitive is, if not dishonest, at least a fallacy and likely a bit conceited. I don't claim to own the definition of what makes art political either, but if you accept that the definition can't be owned, then your thesis that all art is inherently political falls apart.

I've made plenty of apolitical (not anti-political) art in my life. You don't get to define it for me. I think pretty much anyone on the board here can say the same. Is a toddler playing with some pens acting politically? Or are they simply engaged in enjoying themselves for its own sake, with any further analysis a pointless exercise that says nothing about the scribbles and everything about the analyst?

As for Thomas Kinkade, he was in it for the money, and made no bones about that.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

So anyway, about the video...
I found it entrancing, moving and unsettling in a way that's hard to put a finger on. If that's not art, I don't know what is.
Not sure if it was mentioned here, but The Atlantic had an interesting piece specifically on the use of dance here.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Thu May 10, 2018 4:47 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:05 pm
Someone can just draw a picture because they like to, and they want it to please their senses. By deliberately looking past the intent of a creator in their acts of creation as it suits you, it invalidates them. Not that they'd ever know it, but it's invalidation just the same. I mean, I completely understand your (very) overstated point and where you're coming from, but I can't and don't agree that the realities that artists live in trump their creative intent and define, or even necessarily inform their art beyond the strictly physical aspects of assembly.

The categorizations you invent aren't ironclad or even necessarily relevant, they're just reflections of your point of view. There is nothing definitive about them whatsoever, no matter how well you argue that they are. You're certainly free to see things as political, and they can be to you, but what is relevant to me as defining the political in art is a creator's intent at the time of creation. I can accept your point of view, but not as definitive. And I think that to claim it as definitive is, if not dishonest, at least a fallacy and likely a bit conceited. I don't claim to own the definition of what makes art political either, but if you accept that the definition can't be owned, then your thesis that all art is inherently political falls apart.

I've made plenty of apolitical (not anti-political) art in my life. You don't get to define it for me. I think pretty much anyone on the board here can say the same. Is a toddler playing with some pens acting politically? Or are they simply engaged in enjoying themselves for its own sake, with any further analysis a pointless exercise that says nothing about the scribbles and everything about the analyst?

As for Thomas Kinkade, he was in it for the money, and made no bones about that.
Why can't the art be viewed through a lens of intent and byproduct? Looking back historically, the artist's intent is definitely something valuable to consider (as in Donne's case in just trying to get laid), but I argue that it's on at least equal footing of what an audience experiences when experiencing the art. On the other hand though, think about how art survives through time. Meaning of art can change or be adapted and alluded to, all through the passage of time. At that point the artist's intent can be further and further ignored (not that it should, but only that it can). But, is this a bad thing? Does the applicability of a piece of art only get to stay within its historical context? Can art only be viewed as the artist claimed it to be? If it so, how does art stay meaningful for hundreds of years?

To the exact opposite of your point, there was a whole movement out there dubbed New Criticism that completely invalidated an author's intent (as well as literally anything that existed outside of the work of art) who coined terms like the "intentional fallacy", or people like Barthes and his "Death of the Author" (which supports your invalidating the artist point); I personally don't agree with either frame of thought either. Putting the establishment of meaning of art in a vacuum of only the artist's hands OR only the audience's hands seems kind of ignorant to me. Context is everything. Both artist and audience.

But, I guess if I thought intent is the only thing that mattered, then okay, I'd conceded to your point. I just don't buy it though (is this where we agree to disagree?)

And going back to my point about Donne. We now can see that something was happening to people in a much larger capacity at the time he was writing his poem. The fact that we can understand his intent along with the extenuating cultural climate only supports this understanding, which seems like an important one. Is this not a fruitful exercise?

And I'm not trying to create anything definitive here other than what logically follows from concepts that I can't disagree with (and it seems like you aren't disagreeing with them either). I don't own any definitions and haven't, at least from what I can tell, claimed to.

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm
The song doesn’t really stand on its own that well to me, at least after hearing it the few times I have.
I like it, but that's personal taste.... also, this is a guitar forum so I wouldn't expect a high percentage of the members here to particularly like rap (or whatever genre it is). ;)
daemon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm
So anyway, about the video...
I found it entrancing, moving and unsettling in a way that's hard to put a finger on. If that's not art, I don't know what is....
I feel the same way.

There's obviously a lot of deliberate references in the clip, most of which I probably won't notice or get, but I can at least grasp the fact it's a social commentary of the current situation in the US. That seems like a worthy subject for an arty video clip.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 am

Mat Johnson’s send up of Kinkade in the novel Pym is pretty fantastic. His libertarian "landscape and cottage" painter has retreated to an Antarctic domed utopia based on his own creations. It’s a willfully color-blind fantasy, and a seductive one—one of the black characters has long been enthralled by his art and ends up literally hiding in it. Then giant sugar-addicted “snow honkies” show up and tear the whole thing down in search of slaves (and Little Debbies).

I dig the vid. That style of flow, which Chief Keef used to reinvoke early gangsta hard life, has since turned into the basis for parodic psychedelic rap, but here it's back as a Public Enemy-style visual allegory. The visuals are stripped down to stark fundamentals—any image that threatens to immerse the viewer in a comfortable vision is disrupted, by gunfire, gesture, or silence. The dance. The camera and the dance. The camera and the dance on Glover's face. All really interesting. Roll call is common in black poetics as a means of keeping alive influences and recognizing contemporaries, and the Hollywood ending reference to Get Out does that work (also the nod to Rosie Perez’s dance at the start of Do the Right Thing). Can I lose myself dancing to it? Probably not, but I guess that's part of the point. Can I listen to it without thinking about how much it is "of the moment"? No, but the video reminds us the moment has been a very long one.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm

InLimbo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:47 am

Why can't the art be viewed through a lens of intent and byproduct? Looking back historically, the artist's intent is definitely something valuable to consider (as in Donne's case in just trying to get laid), but I argue that it's on at least equal footing of what an audience experiences when experiencing the art. On the other hand though, think about how art survives through time.
Perfectly reasonable.
InLimbo wrote:
Meaning of art can change or be adapted and alluded to, all through the passage of time. At that point the artist's intent can be further and further ignored (not that it should, but only that it can). But, is this a bad thing? Does the applicability of a piece of art only get to stay within its historical context? Can art only be viewed as the artist claimed it to be? If it so, how does art stay meaningful for hundreds of years?
By being well made, visually appealing/jarring, by being a product of its time and a window into the past. It can have value as a yardstick of sorts, to show how little the human condition has changed over time. If art's "definitive" meaning (there's that word again) can be assigned or reassigned then there's really no point in debating this. Nude descending a staircase is now about you taking a dump. Oz has spoken. The Jif peanut butter logo is about the GWOT, and also sex, and also fingernail clippings.

Not a reasonable redefinition, but it's taking an argument to its furthest that reveals its faults. Projection is just projection.
InLimbo wrote:
To the exact opposite of your point, there was a whole movement out there dubbed New Criticism that completely invalidated an author's intent (as well as literally anything that existed outside of the work of art) who coined terms like the "intentional fallacy", or people like Barthes and his "Death of the Author" (which supports your invalidating the artist point); I personally don't agree with either frame of thought either. Putting the establishment of meaning of art in a vacuum of only the artist's hands OR only the audience's hands seems kind of ignorant to me. Context is everything. Both artist and audience.
No, context is important. Not everything. You just said that intent has validity, and it's a discrete thing. It may operate within a context, but that does not make it indistinguishable from that context, which you yourself establish below:

InLimbo wrote:
And going back to my point about Donne. We now can see that something was happening to people in a much larger capacity at the time he was writing his poem. The fact that we can understand his intent along with the extenuating cultural climate only supports this understanding, which seems like an important one. Is this not a fruitful exercise?
Not especially, no. Not at this point, because we've long since established the value of context and watching you suck your own dick is getting old. I'll point out that context doesn't always support understanding of intent.
InLimbo wrote:
And I'm not trying to create anything definitive here other than what logically follows from concepts that I can't disagree with (and it seems like you aren't disagreeing with them either). I don't own any definitions and haven't, at least from what I can tell, claimed to.
You know what, you really are though. If you can agree that there are different, valid or at least valuable lenses to view this subject through, but use the word "dishonest" to describe the process of using one you don't personally favor, what's that if not a tacit claim to definition? Maybe you've lost interest in arguing that all is political in art, I dunno. We certainly agree on some concepts, but "what logically follows" (a definition, by the way) according to you isn't a very good example of logic. I'll apply that logic to demonstrate its faults once again:

"All private businesses are in fact public ones, because while the business owners pay taxes, they also use public services such as roads, schools that educate their employees, public utilities such as municipal water, etc".

It's a fine argument to make, pointing out that our "bootstrap" successes have had help along the way. It's a ridiculous thing to stretch that argument's framework past its breaking point by applying it so broadly that one argues that something is in fact its own opposite by ignoring the operational reality of the thing itself. Arguing that all art is political rather than that all art was made in a political world that may or may not help to understand the artist's intent is a definitive statement that isn't inherently supported by your premises to the exclusion of all other points of view. Basically, sir, you're full of shit with a side of word salad.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Thu May 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Welp, that was fun.

I'm convinced - the part about sucking my own dick was particularly eloquent.