Ryan Adams, amirite?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ryan Adams, amirite?

Post by shadowplay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Anyone want to buy my fucking VCR?
Or you could start a collection of predator endorsed gear. How about a Bill Wyman signature metal detector?

Barbara Ellen had some interesting ideas about this yesterday.

Sensitive facade, feminist credentials, soulful lyrics… but what lies beneath?

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 pm
Oh, JHS has no moral high ground here. Fuck them.
i realise what im about to say will start a war about cloning pedals but..... didnt the dude from JHS clone a devi ever pedal and sell it at like 2x the price? also dint the guy from jhs pedals give some of his money to anti lgbt charities after ripping off devi ever?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 am
mackerelmint wrote:
i realise what im about to say will start a war about cloning pedals but..... didnt the dude from JHS clone a devi ever pedal and sell it at like 2x the price? also dint the guy from jhs pedals give some of his money to anti lgbt charities after ripping off devi ever?
No, he didn't, as it turns out. He went to a church that has anti-LGBTQ, but left it when he was told how heinous they were.

Josh has always been upfront when he's doing a clone of another pedal. There's a fuckton-long set of threads over at TGP that finally drill down and get the full story. It's another one of those internet sound and fury signifying nothing things.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 am
Maggieo wrote:

Or you could start a collection of predator endorsed gear. How about a Bill Wyman signature metal detector?
Oh look! It's...it's...a one P coin!!!!!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:
No, he didn't, as it turns out. He went to a church that has anti-LGBTQ, but left it when he was told how heinous they were.

Josh has always been upfront when he's doing a clone of another pedal. There's a fuckton-long set of threads over at TGP that finally drill down and get the full story. It's another one of those internet sound and fury signifying nothing things.
ok. that's fair. i only ever heard rumours
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Yes, he did. The Devi Ever Hyperion.

99% of pedals are clones, so I doubt many people see that as an issue but JHS has a habit of cloning and then pretending that he designed the circuit himself. It's one thing to have a 'Swollen Pickle' pedal and another to claim you invented the Big Muff.

The JHS Superbolt is a clone of the Run Off Groove Supreaux but if you read the Superbolt ad copy he spent years in the salt mines honing the circuit blah blah blah.

https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-jhs- ... lone-list/

Also yeah he's involved in a homophobic nutjob church... but 99.5% of 'praise and worship' music is played in homophobic churches so that's probably been good for his business ultimately.

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Maggieo wrote:

Barbara Ellen had some interesting ideas about this yesterday.

Sensitive facade, feminist credentials, soulful lyrics… but what lies beneath?

D
Great article. The first thing I read on it in the UK press was some world class whataboutery from the Torygraph so this was a sight for sore eyes.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm

wooderson wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:

99% of pedals are clones, so I doubt many people see that as an issue but JHS has a habit of cloning and then pretending that he designed the circuit himself. It's one thing to have a 'Swollen Pickle' pedal and another to claim you invented the Big Muff.

The JHS Superbolt is a clone of the Run Off Groove Supreaux but if you read the Superbolt ad copy he spent years in the salt mines honing the circuit blah blah blah.

Also yeah he's involved in a homophobic nutjob church... but 99.5% of 'praise and worship' music is played in homophobic churches so that's probably been good for his business ultimately.
In his vlog, Josh not only gives credit where it's due, he goes into the history of the pedals, how the originals came to be, how and why he wanted to do his own version of them and any changes he made to the circuit, the components, or construction techniques.

The guy passes this old reporter's sniff test. And I'm as Queer as they come, so it's not like I'm standing up for the Patriarchy.

PS: SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm
wooderson wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:

In his vlog, Josh not only gives credit where it's due, he goes into the history of the pedals, how the originals came to be, how and why he wanted to do his own version of them and any changes he made to the circuit, the components, or construction techniques.

The guy passes this old reporter's sniff test. And I'm as Queer as they come, so it's not like I'm standing up for the Patriarchy.

PS: SMASH THE PATRIARCHY!
I would rather hang myself than listen to a pedal company's vlogs but here's the ad copy for his clone of a ROG Supreaux:
“The SuperBolt is the result of me becoming slightly obsessed with old Supro/Valco amps from the 60’s. Years ago, I was working with an artist that had a Super at the heart of his live rig and I fell in love with the overdrive/distortion that sounded so old but somehow fit perfectly in any style of music. I remember, during a sound check, strumming a chord through that amp with the volume on 8 and being floored by the biggest rock tone I had ever heard, coming from a 1 knob amp with an 8” speaker. I started collecting Supros and other Valco amps like the Gretsch, National, Airline and Vega, finding them all over the country and building a modest collection that allowed me to understand the brand and designs as a whole. From my Thunderbolt, that I found in a Mississippi barn loft and totally restored, to my Supreme, which I saved from a garage sale in Kansas, I gathered about 10 of these amplifiers in a 2 year period. My goal was simple: I wanted to create an overdrive pedal that recreated this tone and feel in any amp.”
–Josh Scott/Owner of JHS
Here's his ad copy for his clone of a Devi Ever Hyperion fuzz
The Astro Mess is a Silicon Fuzz design that has a taste of both vintage and modern fuzz. The birth child of Switchfoot’s Drew Shirley’s request and Josh Scott’s knowledge of fuzz, the Astro is a very unique and useful fuzz in the land of a thousand fuzz’s. Mr Astro tips his hat to the classic circuits like the Ampeg Scrambler, Kay Fuzztone and the Octavia due to it's massive amount of gain and volume!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:

Well, the thing is, people looked into it further and his association with the church was strong as ever after he made his announcement, including him staffing his company to the gunwales with congregants from that church well after his supposed disassociation from it. I don't think he went to that church and then "was told" about how nasty it is. He was there for at least a solid year that he copped to, which is pleeeeenty of time to have known what they were about. So I don't buy his story in the slightest, frankly.

Everyone uses everyone's circuits in that business, so I can't really hold any grudges about pedal cloning. If people want to pay more for a clone with a brand name, that's their own problem. If they want to believe they're buying some kind of Neve channel strip that has zero circuit topology in common with a Neve, that's also their problem but it's still a slimy way to market the thing.
This is an excellent rectangle

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:16 pm

OK. I'm wrong.

I still like my Colourbox. I don't care about the marketing. It's a great preamp.

We should go back to shitting on Ryan Adams. Sorry I even responded to any of the JHS stuff. We don't need to turn this into another long-ass thread about them. TGP has at least ten of them. Which I read through. Ugh. I need a hobby. :fp: :fp: :fp:

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm

This one hit me hard...like REAL fuckin' hard. Like any art, music is subjective, but Ryan Adams has been my go to for at least ten years now. His work has been hit or miss recently, but his Cardinals era stuff is some of my favorite music of all time.

I knew he was a bit of a shithead, so I avoided watching/listening to any interviews from him for the most part, but I didn't expect this level of cuntness. I knew he went through friends and bandmates like they were disposable, and that he treated other musicians like shit, but his music really REALLY appeals to me.

It's bad enough he used his influence to try to get women in bed, but if the allegations about grooming an underage girl are true(which they certainly appear to be), I don't know what I'll do. Because it's all I think about when I put one of his albums on.

We had one of his albums playing in the hospital room when my daughter was born. That's the level of importance his music holds in my house.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm

We had one of his albums playing in the hospital room when my daughter was born. That's the level of importance his music holds in my house.
Good to see you around a Nolan and a belated congratulations on your daughters birth.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 pm
Oh man, I just rediscovered Father John Misty's satirical cover of Ryan Adams' cover of Taylor Swift, done in the style of the Velvet Underground and it's hilarious. Just the best trolling by FJM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU1roh5edj4

also this is the cherry on top, a video FJM posted after Ryan Adams responded to his cover: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=14434 ... cation=ufi
This is all beautiful and maybe the best FJM song I've heard.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 am

shadowplay wrote:

D
Its USP is it only finds things less than 16 years old?