Kevin Shields in Primal Scream

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Kevin Shields in Primal Scream

Post by mijmog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 am

Does anyone know of any info about what Kevin Shields was "doing" live with Primal Scream around the time of Xtrmntr in the early 2000s? Any interviews, or shots of pedalboards or the stage? I can't find anything online.

I love what he did to that band, MBV Arkestra a notable high. I remember seeing them on the Xtrmntr tour and I was fascinated by what he was creating, was he triggering samples from his Mosrite? He just stood there creating chaos, it was amazing. I was too young and stupid to even work out what was going on.

MBV Arkestra

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kevin Shields in Primal Scream

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 am

Beats me, but I'm a huge Primal Scream fan.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 am

No idea but a very frustrating band, I frankly couldn't bury the Stonesy stuff deep enough (which made them popular) or any of the earlier proto Stone Roses jangle but at other times they were great and had some great impulses like Echo Dek :-* etc and tracks like Autobahn 66 and the still pretty thrilling Kowalski are ace but most of the more geetar boogie stuff leaves me colder than Vladivostok.

I know Bobby to say hello to and his old boy and our social groups overlap but not spoken to him in years.

When I saw this I went to the shelf and pulled Primal Scream - Stuka (Two Lone Swordsmen Remix).

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 am

i also saw them on that tour and it seemed like Kevin was in the corner making noise and adding layers but i too was too young to care that much and pay closer attention

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:57 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 am
No idea but a very frustrating band, I frankly couldn't bury the Stonesy stuff deep enough (which made them popular) or any of the earlier proto Stone Roses jangle...
Yeah, here in the States they've never been a big thing, but I heard about them somehow and just fell in love with Screamadelica back in the day. It wasn't even known at the time that they had done anything else, and I was all excited for the next album and telling all my friends how it was gonna blow the trees down, and then it was like... Molly Hatchet or something in style but the singer had this weak and reedy voice and you wonder how you had missed that. Embarrassing, and then I wrote them off, and that was also a mistake.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 am

Agreed, I avoid all the Stonesy stuff, very frustrating. I find myself defending them to friends who scowl at my fandom but Vanishing Point and Xtrmntr are genius and still bear repeat listens. The rest, I'm not too fussed about. The extended Orb mix of Higher Than The Sun is fucking great. Rocks is played by every pub band in a 15 mile radius of my house every night. I used to like it when I was 12 years old but I cannot bear it now.

Vanishing Point was the gateway drug for me age 14-15, opened up my ears to tons of incredible musical references pre-internet, and it'll always hold a dear place in my heart. I was obsessed with Kowalski as a kid, and a few years later getting into CAN, I was equally as obsessed with Halleluwah, lo and behold I only found out recently that the drums on Kowalski are Jaki's from said track sampled. A chance hearing of Autobahn 66 in a record shop, asking the guy the guy behind the counter who it was, then him going "if you like that you'll love this" then playing Hallogallo by Neu. I do like how they openly wear their influences.
dinosaurkale-> wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 am
i also saw them on that tour and it seemed like Kevin was in the corner making noise and adding layers but i too was too young to care that much and pay closer attention
Haha agreed, me too. Now I wish I could have studied what he was doing more. I've seen some footage and he has a Roland midi pickup on the Mosrite.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 am

I can still remember when Screamadelica came out & turn so many friends heads, who until then had shunned anything that came from an "alternative" neighbourhood. I still play it from time to time.

Vanishing Point was something else too & I'll echo other people sentiments. Kowalski is a killer track!

As to Kevin Shields, I haven't got a clue what he actually did either but I'm all ears.

EDIT - I just saw that he was one of the members of EAR (Experimental Audio Research) too. Dunno how I missed that.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 am

i like the country rock primal scream stuff. I also like the more electro stuff. it's all good.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am

Not a patch on the recorded version on XTRMNTR, but here they are doing Accelerator on Jools sodding Holland, with Kevin and Mani:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU_lCGoHF8g

Vanishing Point, Echo Dek and XTRMNTR are the only things I'll tolerate by them. If I remember right, I was very keen to hear the next album, Evil Heat, but it turned out to be baws.
Kenny

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 am

Okay I read this interview months ago. Sadly I don't have the source right now but I emailed a quote to my friend and it goes like this
Shields’ involvement with Primal Scream lasted from 1998–2005, where his talents were felt both in the studio and the live arena. “In the studio, he’d say, ‘What do you want me to do?’ We had these little phrases, descriptions of what particular sound we wanted. ‘Can you get that one where you’re cutting down the trees?’ He’d hit the pedals and it would sound like a chainsaw. Live, there were certain tracks on XTRMNTR that were aggressive; we’d hold him back and hold him back and then give him the nod, ‘Kev, hit that button.’ He’d take it to the next level of intensity and pain. There’d be some little kids down the front and they’d be smiling and by the time Kev had played three songs, you could see they were thinking, ‘This isn’t actually very funny.’ It was brilliant.”
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 am

I thought Beautiful Future had some good stuff on it.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am

Just in to concur with those other comments. Massively into XTRMNTR and Vanishing Point and also "Higher Than the Sun." Def don't like the more rawk material or indie pop stuff either. For a few years they were so great. I remember seeing posters in the local record store that I ended up working at in the 00s for XTRMNTR when it came out and thinking it looked pretty rad and then hearing about Shields' involvement definitely got me to pick it up. Was not disappointed.

I feel like the things Kevin did with them are sort of like the stuff he contributed to that one track from J Mascis + The Fog's More Light where he just GOES OFF on a noise tangent. Will always be into that vibe. Desperately wished that the comeback MBV album had more of it.

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm

You can really see the Jonny Ramone influence on him in that jools video, really fast strumming hand.
There's a quote from him where he said all he practiced for a while was ramones songs so he could get that style.
A very individual guitarist, his work is fascinating.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am

MKR wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 am
i like the country rock primal scream stuff. I also like the more electro stuff. it's all good.
I don't care what anyone says, Jailbird is a great tune with a killer riff.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am
I don't care what anyone says, Jailbird is a great tune with a killer riff.
Oh for sure. I think tha's part of the beauty of primal scream. they make some great music regardless of what style they play whether is acoustic guitar based or electronic noise. One of my favorite primal scream songs is country girl . then again i love swastika eyes too.

I guess it says something when a group sounds natural and genuine going from one musical style to the next.