2 new British releases - Which one’s the worst?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

2 new British releases - Which one’s the worst?

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 am

I really wanted to like both, especially the Gallagher/Squire collaboration, but they just don’t do anything for me. The more I listen to them, the more they grate on me!!!

Liam Gallagher & John Squire - Just Another Rainbow

Ride - Peace Sign

To be honest the Gallaghers & Ride haven’t put out anything I like since their glory days , except for one track Ride came back with (Lannoy Point).

Discuss…as brutally as you like ;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2 new British releases - Which one’s the worst?

Post by Nudger » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:08 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 am
I really wanted to like both, especially the Gallagher/Squire collaboration, but they just don’t do anything for me. The more I listen to them, the more they grate on me!!!

Liam Gallagher & John Squire - Just Another Rainbow

Ride - Peace Sign

To be honest the Gallaghers & Ride haven’t put out anything I like since their glory days , except for one track Ride came back with (Lannoy Point).

Discuss…as brutally as you like ;D
Ride track really not my cup o beer..

Dont mind the gallaquire one, could do with being bout 2 n a half minutes shorter. :whistle:
Im same bout most of liam n noels output, like it but not enough to buy

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:08 pm

If this was 1992 the ride song would be considered brilliant..it’s ok to good....like a B-. Not really an Oasis fan other than slideaway or fade-away from their early days.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Not sure why you lumped these two together?

The Gallagher/Squire collaboration is a novelty record, really poor....I never got the Squire noodling even in his heyday always thought it was wank..for me his strength was his song writing and the melodic chord work on classics like Waterfall.

Ride are a bonafide original band, that writes and releases new music. Been together longer on this 2nd stint longer that the first. They were always a patchy in quality..but wrote some bonafide classics. I think Future Love is up there in there best stuff...and as you mention Lannoy Point. When they get it right there's still magic there I think. The new one hasn't grabbed me though on the first few listens. Live they are still great too....looking forward to seeing what they've come up with on the next album.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 pm

The Ride thing I thought had some energy to it. I didn't think it was bad.

The other thing was plodding, boring, by the numbers bullshit that sounded more like some kind of AI result. All shit we've heard before over and over just reheated in the microwave.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:45 pm

jesus christ, that gallagher squire track... "waterfall II: wetter and fallier." stinks of bills to pay, put out the most obvious thing possible, get a cheque quickly. i like john squire a lot and have settled on being the person that thinks second coming is a good record and the first album, while it has a handful of properly good tunes on it, is not a good record because the dips dip so hard.

i don't know ride so well but i hear stuff that sounds like that all the time. maybe it's another one that just seems a bit of an obvious thing to put out for those more familiar with their oeuvre, but the kids are still aping those sounds so who knows.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:14 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:45 pm
jesus christ, that gallagher squire track... "waterfall II: wetter and fallier." stinks of bills to pay, put out the most obvious thing possible, get a cheque quickly. i like john squire a lot and have settled on being the person that thinks second coming is a good record and the first album, while it has a handful of properly good tunes on it, is not a good record because the dips dip so hard.

I'm the opposite, I've come to dislike the first record more and more over the years, it hasn't aged well, and a lot of it is embarrassing to me. I can't imagine listening to it again.

Maybe I'm not quite the opposite. Oasis I never had an opinion on, really. They weren't all that much of a thing here unless you made them be a thing and schlock like "Champagne Supernova" put a quick end to any effort I might have made.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm

I had been putting off listening to the Gallagher/Squire collab, but finally checked it out. Awful.

The Ride song is pretty mediocre, but they are at least trying.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:55 pm

hmm, Squire don't really got it in the lead dept no more

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:16 am

I didn’t hate the rainbow song as a stone roses tribute song, that was until the middle 8 where Liam Gallagher named the colours of a rainbow in a way like he couldn’t think of any other lyrics and had given up trying.

Ride track also suffers from painfully cheesy lyrics in the chorus.

Still, glad everyone is still making music. The world is better for choice, and no worse than any other band releasing their 17th album or whatever
Last edited by sal paradise on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:33 am

eggwheat wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:11 pm
Not sure why you lumped these two together?
Because they're both part of the 90s British indie scene, both (in their own ways) extremely influential in days gone by, both releasing new singles & both promoting new albums. They've even shared a solid guitar player/song writer (Andy Bell) for a considerable amount of time.

I guess it felt like there were enough similarities to start a post about the two of them.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 am

Personally, I find the Squire/Gallagher track too clunky. Like, the individual parts are good (although yeah, Liam's lyrics are pretty naff) but it doesn't gel. The drumming almost feels out of the groove & the guitar solo goes on far too long. John Squire clearly sounds like John Squire : Stone Roses Guitarist but he goes on far too long to get the point across.

As to the Ride track, it's just too synthy & cheesy for me. I'm hoping they'll come up with something better on the album but I won't hold my breath.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:10 am

I think both are OK, but at the same time they're instantly forgettable.

I first heard the Gallagher/Squire song on the radio while driving, and it made a good first impression (apart from the cringeworthy ROYGBIV-part), I really liked the sound of the guitars and drums. But having heard it a couple times more, it's becoming apparent that the song itself is quite thin. I'll definitely give the album a listen when it drops, but I suspect that'll be pretty much it. Nice to see Barrie Cadogan on the bass btw, if this project keeps going I think the joint musical forces of him and Squire could be pretty interesting.

I've always been a huge fan of everything Ride did before Carnival of Light, but all the post-reunion stuff has left me cold. It's not bad, I just haven't found myself needing to hear it again after the first listen.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:58 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:10 am
Barrie Cadogan
Aaah, it’s him! Of course!! I knew I’d seen him somewhere before.

Nice CompStang bass!!

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:13 am

Gallager/Squier song is literally Waterfall awkwardly glued to a mish mash of 90s Oasis hits, which are awkwardly glued to a Second Coming-style pentatonic wanking. Quick and dirty money grabber.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/