Your seminal year for music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Your seminal year for music?

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 am

1994 was a big year for me when it was happening. Not primarily for the the albums that were released (although I still really like a lot of stuff from that year), but it was the year I started really exploring music on my own and going deeper into the world of indie/alternative rock. I was 14 years old, and had previously mostly been going along with my older sister and her boyfriend who were into the same kind of music, but as she started latching on more to 80s british stuff, I started going more into noise rock and american indie rock, both new and older stuff. At the same time, britpop and grunge produced some of its best (and worst, to be fair), and there was also a very vibrant Swedish "alternative" scene.

Looking back now at the albums released that year, it's definitely not my favorite year in music, or even my favorite year of the 90s, but there were some good ones:

Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
The Jesus Lizard - Down
Shellac - At Action Park
Dinosaur Jr - Without a Sound
Sebadoh - Bakesale
Unwound - New Plastic Ideas
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Silver Jews - Starlite Walker
Weezer - Weezer (blue)
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:23 am

1990-1991

With a few exceptions, all the punk/grunge/noise rock I was listening to came from the US.
Funnily enough, almost all the early indie/twee/shoegaze stuff was coming from the UK.

A big thanks to my mum too, for introducing me to music from the 60s & 70s.
She was lucky to be 17 in 1968. I was lucky to be 17 in 1990 :) :-*
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:58 am

For me so far it's probably 2016, because that's when I started developing my own music taste rather than liking whatever was on the radio or my parents had introduced me to. Dragged my parents around the midlands and Home Counties going to see bands I'd found on YouTube who had three songs out and were playing gigs for a fiver.