OSG MUSIC COLAB Thread and Section

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG MUSIC COLAB Thread and Section

Post by Firecat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:55 am

This is where I got the FACGCE tuning idea from. I'm all about alternate tunings.
It's the Never Meant-tuning!
https://youtu.be/_NfnXdXpjL0?si=qceuU4voSdKCq1uN

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:16 am

Firecat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am
Larry Mal wrote:

This is where I got the FACGCE tuning idea from. I'm all about alternate tunings.
Hey, that's a good song, I'll listen to that more. New to me.

I got that tuning from that video, but there's a guitar player called Yvette Young and honestly I'm not usually into guitar playing for its own sake, but she's a lot of fun to hear. Very original and skilled.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:25 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:16 am
Firecat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 am
Larry Mal wrote:

Hey, that's a good song, I'll listen to that more. New to me.

I got that tuning from that video, but there's a guitar player called Yvette Young and honestly I'm not usually into guitar playing for its own sake, but she's a lot of fun to hear. Very original and skilled.
Yeah definitely check out American Football, they're great. His acoustic solostuff under the name Owen is great as well.

I'll watch the video you posted. I wrote a couple of songs in FACGCE myself ('She Swallows Stones' and 'Always April' on this album), after learning that was the tuning American Football used for Never Meant, and definitely want to use it more.

And yeah, Yvette Young is great. I get what you say about not being into guitar noodling, but she's different and does it in a very musical way imo. I saw her band Covet a couple of years ago, they were a lot of fun!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 am
crazyzeke wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:52 am
I had no idea this thread existed when I made mine. Basically I'm looking for string players but if anyone can do live drums that'd be good too, the drummer I had lined up for my originals project has been promising to do some but 3 weeks later, I'm not seeing any Google Drive or whatever links coming my way with drum stems 😂

Use this drummer- - Francesca is amazing.

Here's her on one of my songs.
I LOVE the guitar work on this track, Larry. I am listening to the other tracks now.
I should really get my SoundCloud back up and running. Haven’t posted on there in years.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:44 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 am

I LOVE the guitar work on this track, Larry. I am listening to the other tracks now.
I should really get my SoundCloud back up and running. Haven’t posted on there in years.
Hey, thanks. Yeah, my SoundCloud is a grab bag of things I thought were good over the years, stuff I might return to and complete. At some point I'll turn it into a "real" page with completed songs.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:27 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 am

Use this drummer- - Francesca is amazing.
I'm fascinated by this. She's a great drummer! But it looks like she's perpetually in an A studio with a multi thousand dollar mic cabinet pointed at a multi thousand dollar kit.

And it's only 20 bucks per track? And she only gives herself 5 days? I just don't know who or how anyone is making money here. Unless she's just grinding for XP.

The situation has to be that she's either a student or working musician who knows or works at the studio and so she moon lights a couple nights or mornings a week churning out beats for extra cash.

It's like, she's charging $20 bucks? If I did this (saying I want to) with my sm57s, MXLs, and trash picked kit, start the hell could I charge? 2 dollars?

Edit: Just read her blurb. Nope, she owns the rig. And I did notice the higher teirs. Up $120. She did other gigs looks like and I assume/hope that's most of her bread.

I've been meaning to look into fiverr. Seems like the uber of creatives. You take on the enormous start up costs of having a quality rig and chops, and if you're bored and feel like it, you can make a few peanuts here and there.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:44 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 am

Hey, thanks. Yeah, my SoundCloud is a grab bag of things I thought were good over the years, stuff I might return to and complete. At some point I'll turn it into a "real" page with completed songs.
Yeah, my SoundCloud is pretty much the same. Your stuff is higher quality though. Mine are all lo-fi recordings of guitar pieces or song ideas either with a computer mic or a cellphone, lol.
I have actual songs with vocals and whatever on YouTube, but I also haven’t posted anything on there in years. Not since somebody hacked my account and deleted my acoustic cover of Tori Amos’ Cornflake Girl translated to guitar from piano. I was proud of it. It had over 40k views and lots of nice comments. One day it just vanished. They claim I deleted it. Why would I do that?

Anyhow, I may be able to contribute some riffs or leads on a collab. I now use garage band on my recently purchased MacBook Pro. An upgrade from using a cell phone or a 4-track. I’ll probably still use a shit mic and it’ll be lo-fi, but whatever that’s kind of my thing.
I cut my teeth back in the day recording on tascam 4-tracks and messing with the tapes. I’m not accustomed to digital stuff yet, and I can’t be arsed to make everything sound glorious.

Shortscale.org did some excellent collabs 5 or 6 years ago (or longer). They did Radiohead’s There There and some other stuff. Came out excellent.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:17 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:27 am

I'm fascinated by this. She's a great drummer! But it looks like she's perpetually in an A studio with a multi thousand dollar mic cabinet pointed at a multi thousand dollar kit.

And it's only 20 bucks per track? And she only gives herself 5 days? I just don't know who or how anyone is making money here. Unless she's just grinding for XP.

I pay in the neighborhood of $65 for the two songs she's done for me. She gets them to me in a day. But I suppose she gives herself five days.

I think this is just what she does as a job, and probably has studied percussion her whole life in professional environments. In other words, it's what she does.

But notice that the $20 level is limited to 30 seconds there, Bump it up to 200 seconds and it's $50, no revision, and it's looking like you just get a stereo track.

The intermediate package I used she gets you ten stems, four minutes, and a revision. The more expensive package looks like you get that plus a stereo mixed track.

I knew I wouldn't need a mixed track since I don't even have the vocals ready. I suppose I could make a case for a revision but I kind of doubt it- I mean, there's a reason I'm paying a professional, and it's not for my own ideas. I used to be a drummer and I was good but she's light years beyond anything I ever was even at my best.

As a lapsed drummer I will listen to what she plays with fascination, I do that with drums in general. She's incredible, she drives the music but with finesse and nuance, the dynamics of her playing are incredible.

The hi-hat is the magic of the drum kit, I mean it's all important, but the hi-hat is where genius lives in my opinion, and she's got it. A very good example of another drummer that is a genius at the hi-hat is Billy Ficca on Television's Marquee Moon song.

So, she asks for what your thoughts are when you place the order, so far I've only asked for some bars of drums to lead into the song.

She also took it upon herself to add some shaker and tambourine because I guess she felt the song needed that.

I'm sure there's a lot of other great drummers on Fiverr, but I'll probably never know.

She did this song for me, I was charged with writing "dance punk" and I would say I did. But the end of the song is just me repeating myself over and over, so I told her the drums could be the main point of interest. Kind of a drum solo, but I figure there will be vocals leading it out.

She didn't quite do what I thought she might, but I like what she did. At one point in the song, shortly after 2:30, she kind of drops out for a split second, which gives it more power when she gets back into it.

That blew my mind- instead of just adding more and more to build intensity she made more out of less. I cannot recommend Francesca enough. I need to get her more music.

If I'm going to brag about myself I really like my bass playing, since the songs were constructed around the guitar and the guitar is pretty tight I decided to let the bass be loose, and didn't really work on the parts all that much in order to get that. I could have made them "better" but since I'm making these things in a modular way I am trying to make it seem like a group of people playing it together.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:40 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 am
I have actual songs with vocals and whatever on YouTube, but I also haven’t posted anything on there in years. Not since somebody hacked my account and deleted my acoustic cover of Tori Amos’ Cornflake Girl translated to guitar from piano. I was proud of it. It had over 40k views and lots of nice comments. One day it just vanished. They claim I deleted it. Why would I do that?

Sorry to hear that. I hate it when stuff like that happens, especially to creatives like us who tend to be sensitive people.

For me it's yet another reason to be cynical about music streaming, of which YouTube is a part, where the artist who monetises is lucky to see fractions of a penny per stream.

The upside of that reality (streaming sucks) is it made me look into getting vinyl pressed, and relatively speaking it's a lot cheaper than I expected and you can do limited runs of as little as 200, when I figured it'd be 500 or more. They'll even help you master it before it gets cut on the lathe, as you need to respect a certain set of rules with vinyl cutting, it's both art and science.

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:45 am
Anyhow, I may be able to contribute some riffs or leads on a collab. I now use garage band on my recently purchased MacBook Pro. An upgrade from using a cell phone or a 4-track. I’ll probably still use a shit mic and it’ll be lo-fi, but whatever that’s kind of my thing.

I love GarageBand and I won't hear a bad word said about it, not that you did 😂. It's a scaled down but still very powerful version of Logic that doesn't cost a fortune. I've been using it for years and except in very fringe cases it does everything I want, having formerly run Logic Platinum on PC when I still used those for recording.

If you need any pointers let me know, I'm not like some magical wizard producer or anything but I can produce/mix/master fairly well based on years of experience (10 years this year since I got into Macs I think). The real trick to mixing is using the automation to roll instruments/vocals up and down depending on what's going on so there's space for it to breathe and nothing overpowers everything else, something you can't really do on a 4-track as I used one myself as a kid. Wish I still had it - it sounded like God when you clipped the input preamps with a guitar, Territorial Pissings style ;D
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:18 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:17 am
As a lapsed drummer I will listen to what she plays with fascination, I do that with drums in general. She's incredible, she drives the music but with finesse and nuance, the dynamics of her playing are incredible.

The hi-hat is the magic of the drum kit, I mean it's all important, but the hi-hat is where genius lives in my opinion, and she's got it. A very good example of another drummer that is a genius at the hi-hat is Billy Ficca on Television's Marquee Moon song.
I won't quote the whole post but that was an interesting read, thank you for sharing. Marquee Moon is literally one of my favourite pieces of electric guitar music - I used to sing and play it a lot - and a great example not just of drums but wonderful two guitar interplay and wildly inventive solos, I love it. Torn Curtain on the same album is another highlight.

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:17 am
That blew my mind- instead of just adding more and more to build intensity she made more out of less. I cannot recommend Francesca enough. I need to get her more music.

If I'm going to brag about myself I really like my bass playing, since the songs were constructed around the guitar and the guitar is pretty tight I decided to let the bass be loose, and didn't really work on the parts all that much in order to get that. I could have made them "better" but since I'm making these things in a modular way I am trying to make it seem like a group of people playing it together.

A certain bass playing friend of mine would definitely agree on the "less is more" part - he's always trying to get me to leave more space in songs I write, whereas I'm constantly subtly changing chords and doing little flicks in and out of them otherwise I get bored. I want interesting guitar parts but then we put the bass in and I often subtract stuff that's busy in order to give him more room to work, tends to improve things and honestly makes it easier to sing in certain places.

The musicianship on the track I heard is great, nothing to worry about there. It's very easy to overegg the pudding when recording - I've literally worked with a drummer who, rather than use a great drum take which had one slightly sloppy behind the beat fill but great feel other than that, rerecorded it with dozens of punch-ins. The end result was not good, and I swear you can hear the punch-ins more than one fill from a completed take, cymbals not trailing off correctly and stuff like that. I was on bass for that, got my takes fairly quickly I suppose, but the experience of how they recorded (perfectionism over feel) put me off, and I left the band soon after. Never did hear the finished product - this is like 20 years ago though, but it did teach me an important lesson about balancing feel and precision - never too much of one. Sounds like you know what I mean!
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:01 pm

Winter Punk song....update with extreme wank solo....really wanky.
https://soundcloud.com/p-jets/winter-punk-12

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:05 pm

My Depeche Mode song....fooling around with the Cherry Audio drum machine....needs vocals. Unmixed with just drums, bass and Left/Right Arp

Winter Sad or maybe Depeche Moog ?? Vocals anybody??
https://soundcloud.com/p-jets/winter-sad-1