this new Taylor Swift record

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

this new Taylor Swift record

Post by panoramic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am

is good. the first two tracks are really nice and this one has better lyrical content than it's predecessors.
(Prequalifier) Mind you I would hardly be aware of this if my GF didn't have two daughters who play her incessantly. I think it's a mature and decent record. It's not a reissue of Polvo or something like I normally post about but you know, life is weird like that.
https://open.spotify.com/album/1Mo4aZ8p ... B_bgcwuC_A
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: this new Taylor Swift record

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am

Can’t say I’m a fan, but it I recognize her talent and I appreciate that she is releasing music on her own terms.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 am

My (37 year old) wife is a fan but I find al her music pretty throwaway and vapid (and I'm not opposed to pop music). I read her lyrics apparently got analysed to be at an average reading level of Grade 4, which I think is 8-10 years old? Too dumb for my tastes I'm afraid.

Also, she's a total nepo baby, which I hate.

But, fuck it, she's done way better than I ever could with music so what the hell do I know?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

JSett wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 am
My (37 year old)). I read her lyrics apparently got analysed to be at an average reading level of Grade 4, which I think is 8-10 years old?
That would make sense as my 9 year old in grade 4 is OBSESSED with Taylor swift. Like I mean OBSESSED.

anyhoo. It’s fine. The music is not my cup of tea but at least it’s not absolutely unbearable and off putting like some other pop music.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am

MKR wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am
anyhoo. It’s fine. The music is not my cup of tea but at least it’s not absolutely unbearable and off putting like some other pop music.
True. It could be much worse and full of that robotic autotune nonsense. At least she can play guitar and piano and writes a lot of her own stuff (no doubt with a team, no matter whats said to the contrary). She's just this generations Michael Jackson.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:59 am

I unapologetically love Taylor Swift.

I used to be a "eh, im not a fan but whatever" guy when it came to her music. Then i started dating a girl who was a mega fan, but also loved "good" music like The Cocteau Twins, Beach House, Deftones, Radiohead, LDR, etc. So i was like "what gives? i thought you liked good music?"

Then I finally actually listened to albums/songs she picked for me and gave it a real chance. And i discovered that like most great artists, the "deep cuts" are where the real meat and potatoes are. She has a lot of songs you can tell are crafted to be mass-appealing chart-shatterers. I mostly skip these. But the introspective, cleverly written, emotionally mature, and often self deprecating and honest deep cut tracks is where she really shines, and in my opinion, earns the devout following she has.

Tracks i love from her: Mirrorball, Cardigan, My Tears Ricochet, Seven, Labyrinth, Sweet Nothing, i could go on..

Tracks i dont care for as much: Pretty much any of her most popular songs lol. But some are amazing. If you cant groove to the hook of "Style" you might not have a heart in your chest.

Id liken it to someone who thinks they dont care for pink floyd because theyve only ever heard Money or Another Brick in the Wall on rock radio. Sure those songs are kinda cheesy radio-friendly boomer blues-rock hits at this point, but dust off any of PFs albums and lovely psychedelic treats await you around every turn, and you get much-needed context that adds meaning to the more vapid songs. Shine on you Crazy Diamond, Animals, The psychedelic meandering journey through the mind that is The Wall. There is so much more to them than the boomer hippie blues rock people seem to associate with them.

She excels at what she is known best for: "Top 40 Pop Music rated E for Everyone"

But she also excels at making "real" music with heart, soul, and a focus on musicianship and innovation. If you scoff at any of those descriptions, you probably just havent given her as much of a chance as youd like to think you did. Theres a reason shes practically on top of the musical world

She plays guitar, piano, banjo, probably a lot of other instruments. Writes or co-writes all of her own stuff. Has built an empire off of her talent. Part of that talent is business acumen, no doubt influenced by her parents, but calling her a nepo baby is a stretch. Her parents were financially well off, and did what i would think any parent would want to do and supported their child's dreams in any way they could. Her family wasnt in the music industry, they had no secret connections. They simply were comfortable enough to afford her opportunities others dont usually have, like formal voice lessons, guitar lessons, and moving to a new city/state to help her pitch her demo CD. Her father invested in Big Machine when they made a deal she liked. He is estimated to own 2-3% of the label. They were very tiny in those days, so it was probably more like a few thousand dollars than the idea people get of him bankrolling her whole career, throwing millys at anyone with any industry pull. Her parents basically put the time and money they mightve saved for her to go to college, into her dreams. And she fucking killed it! Without legitimate talent, she wouldve never gotten anywhere, no matter how much money her parents dumped into her career. Product of successful parents, absolutely yes. Nepo baby? I dont think so.

Havent listened to the new album yet, but glad to hear its getting good feedback. Ill definitely be spinning it soon
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm

panoramic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am
is good. the first two tracks are really nice and this one has better lyrical content than it's predecessors.
(Prequalifier) Mind you I would hardly be aware of this if my GF didn't have two daughters who play her incessantly. I think it's a mature and decent record. It's not a reissue of Polvo or something like I normally post about but you know, life is weird like that.
My wife's a big Swiftie, and I'm a fan, but not nearly as big as her, and yeah, new record is great. The "anthology" version with 31 tracks is actually great too. I like it significantly more than Midnights, not as much as Folklore / Evermore though.

Fun fact: Glenn Kotche from Wilco plays drums / percussion on a few tracks, and there was some stuff recorded by Beau Sorenson at John Vanderslice's studio, Tiny Telephone, in San Francisco.

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm

I've just finished listening to all 31 tracks. Pretty indifferent tbh. I think the average level of the main album is pretty mid, but there are some songs that stand out - Florida!!! being my current favourite. The average level of the anthology tracks is higher than the main album, but nothing stands out or hits me. My current opinion is that this is her most 'mid' album. I'll probably give it another go through soon, but I don't feel compelled to. Hoping it ends up as surprise tracks on the eras tour rather than making up its own section, and even then there are loads of songs I'd rather get there than anything off of this.

I'm glad I didn't preorder, especially as with the vinyl I guess you only get like half the whole thing. I'd be pretty frustrated if I had a copy - I was annoyed enough about the 3am tracks from Midnights and then the following slow trickle of extra songs as the eras tour kicked off.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

I'm a moderate fan I suppose, since hearing 'Folklore' a couple of years ago.

Liking it so far (still haven't got through the full extended release) - particularly the sadder songs, of course :D .

Feels like an intermediary between Folklore and Midnights song and production-wise (makes sense given continued work with Antonoff/Dessner). Anyone who thinks she's still releasing basic 'pop' music obviously hasn't listened to anything she's released over the last 4+ years.

She even somehow made Bon Iver's Justin Vernon tolerable.

Not sure what the lyric/school reading level analysis is supposed to prove... Does technical difficulty of reading material='good' lyrics? Many would argue the opposite, and there's plenty of sacred cows on here with objectively terrible lyrics (hello Sonic Youth, my favourite band!)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

Maybe I'm judging it too harshly, and only based on what little I've heard. It seemed like forgettable pop to me, catchy enough obviously. She'll never write a song as good as "Love Shack" though.

To each their own. I do hope all the fans here and elsewhere enjoy the new record. If her music brings you joy and maybe even inspires you, fuck it, crack on.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:55 am

JSett wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm
Maybe I'm judging it too harshly
Probably :D

Tbf, I can only tolerate half of one of the folklore album. And that’s only when it sounds like Bon Iver or the National. Something about her melodies & her voice just doesn’t connect with me, it’s instantly recognisable & turnoffable all at once.

^ this statement above means I’ll be a superfan in a couple of years, I’m sure :whistle:
JSett wrote:
She'll never write a song as good as "Love Shack" though.
Will anyone?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:46 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:55 am
JSett wrote:
She'll never write a song as good as "Love Shack" though.
Will anyone?
No.

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17 am

panoramic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am
I like TS too. Like you, got into her by osmosis — I started teaching in 2006 and gained a lot of traction with 7th graders by playing “White Horse” on guitar.

Digging the new lp; hard to see a path forward the Antonoff sound, though. I do kind of like a mega star releasing a record without any obvious “singles”.

Kotche playing drums and using those ridiculous North drums has kind of broken my brain.

EDIT: re: nepo baby; I have heard some rumours around this, too. But I know some nepo babies in Important Indie Rock Bands, which seems more annoying with the incessant social media posturing.

EDIT mk ii: there are a few songs on folklore that are would-be dream pop classics if the narrative style lyrics were replaced with impressionistic, vague words (a style I also like, obvs)

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 am

cpeck wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17 am

EDIT mk ii: there are a few songs on folklore that are would-be dream pop classics if the narrative style lyrics were replaced with impressionistic, vague words (a style I also like, obvs)
I agree with this. There are some great moments on that album especially. I genuinely like most of what she’s done (and can appreciate the rest). (Haven’t had the time to dig into the new one yet / spending new record listening time with somesurprises “perseids”)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:33 pm

cpeck wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17 am
I know some nepo babies in Important Indie Rock Bands, which seems more annoying with the incessant social media posturing.
I played with the 1975 a week before they broke. Seemed like nice enough kids for a cluster of middle-class new money types. British Indie from the last 12 years is nepo baby central.