Off the Beaten Path Post Punk Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Off the Beaten Path Post Punk Thread

Post by whisperit » Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Hope this one fits well:
13th Chime - Cursed - pretty known and slightly goth, I quite like them

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 am

This thread's got me remembering (sticking to NZ stuff as more chance of adding something most here haven't heard)
Toy Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpADdtw ... re=related
Jean Paul Sartre Experiencehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsE03OJi ... re=related
Pop Mechanix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAS144wh7Lg(some Jansen guitar action in this one 8) )
Look Blue Go Purple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfGbYfa ... re=related
The Clean (maybe not so off the beaten path) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tf1wzg4rdE
Straitjacket Fits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMIddxUA ... re=branded
Watching the corners turn corners

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 am

whisperit wrote:Hope this one fits well:
13th Chime - Cursed - pretty known and slightly goth, I quite like them
I have a few of their singles, you seen the Sacred Bones re-release? I saw them play with UK Decay (good band, annoying singer who coined the phrase Goth as punk gothique) and possibly with The Mob (brilliant band).

antisymmetric; some great evidence that New Zealand always punches above it's weight. Funny that as I read that I got a text from a guy a know who runs a fuzz filled club night asking me if I had spare copy of Snapper - Shotgun Blossom, I did!

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 04, 2012 2:35 am

Today's litter of mongrels

The Trypes - (from the) Morning Glories Feelies side shoot, rarish, hard to find, no digital that I know of. Not a million miles from something like Pram. Why is there no Pram thread? :wtf:

Gareth Williams & Mary Currie - Generous Moon. BEAUTIFUL, from the bass player of This Heat. Mega recommended and almost impossible to get before the CD issue as it was cassette only and rare than the yeti. There is vinyl pressing out in July on the wonderful Blackest Ever Black. I super recommend Tropic of Cancer (though this track is from a ten on Downwards) off this label (not to be confused with Tropics of Cancer who are good too). Imagine a dark soup of Bowery Electric, Clock DVA, Suicide, Some Sisters like guitar moves, Early Cabaret Voltaire and the crunchy end of Chris and Cosey.

Anne Clark - Sleeper in Metropolis you either love or hate this slice of electro rant poetry, sure it's pretentious but aren't we all? :ph34r: Was a bit of a Goth Klub Klassik

Crisis - White Youth. went on to become the likes of Death in June and Sol Invictus who sadly developed some very dodgy politics. The band WhisperIt linked to were typical of the bands that rose out of this particular splinter.

Minimal Man - Loneliness RONALD REAGAN I AGREE! Flanged bass IS Post Punk, making a mild comeback too. I bought this through and ad in a magazine and it took a year to come, in the end they actually sent me three copies the last of which turned up over 18 months later. It was addressed to David Cathcart, Glasgow, Scotsland. They only got my surname and my country right.

English Subtitles - Tannoy warning! Their album isn't really worth picking up beyond this.

The Fever Tree - The Pixie Shop In Boscastle. Ok this is potentially a dodgy one but I really like it's wrongness and its more fun than Indians in Moscow her old band. :D I even have photo of me somewhere of me outside the real Pixie Shop In Boscastle

D

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 am

Personally I think the Smiths destroyed post punk; the NME suddenly wanted everyone to be 60s with long fringes and Byrds albums. C86 and all that. That would place post punk for me between the first PIL single, october 1978, and the first smiths track, may 1983.

I like the way No Love Lost, in retrospective, heralds post punk by blithely attempting to marry the krautrock of the first half with the punk/stooges second half. Like a recipe for what was about to happen.

Impressive obsessive list making!! Can't really add anything obscure to the pile, tho. 1919, maybe?? Or the extremely strange second version of Blitz?

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 am

shadowplay wrote: I have a few of their singles, you seen the Sacred Bones re-release?
not yet, thanks for head up!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 04, 2012 3:52 am

FrankRay wrote:Personally I think the Smiths destroyed post punk; the NME suddenly wanted everyone to be 60s with long fringes and Byrds albums. C86 and all that.
I do agree with The Smiths being a corrosive influence, I know they are a brilliant band they just aren't the sort of thing I like in more than small doses. I rated Morrissey for always mentioning Ludus though, who fit this thread a treat. I hated the twee scene, it was massive in Glasgow. Grown men in childrens clothes................................. :fp:

The again some scenes are born to eat others. I was fairly nonplussed by grunge and hated it for smothering the likes of Disco Inferno under an avalanche of bad hair, rock cliche and plaid. I though grunge was totally forgotten until I joined here.

D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Surely a bit of Ed Kuepper wouldn't go amiss? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzIwfa67 ... re=related
Watching the corners turn corners

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Sat May 05, 2012 2:18 am

Ludus!!! Isn't linder mentioned in Cemetary Gates? Anyway, they remind me of the not-too-obscure Bush Tetras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmn-P4qb ... re=related
and whilst there or thereabouts, how about the fair;y brilliant first album by And Also The Trees, produced by lol Tolhurst?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v565N1bgpfY

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat May 05, 2012 3:25 am

FrankRay wrote: and whilst there or thereabouts, how about the fair;y brilliant first album by And Also The Trees, produced by lol Tolhurst?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v565N1bgpfY
Whisper it... but I really like cravat period And Also The Trees. Farewell to the Shade and The Millpond Years are great albums and are nice English bucolic counterpoint to say Nick Cave Southern Gothic period lyrics. Sure Simon Huw Jones voice can annoy a bit but hisbrother has a totally unique guitar sound. Where's my cape? :ph34r:

They did ok out in continental Europe but not in the UK.

D

XIIduostang!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by XIIduostang! » Sat May 05, 2012 7:08 am

The Cavedogs: Leave me alone, baba ganooj, and forderol
Any XTC record before the big express and after go 2
"But this goes to 11"

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon May 07, 2012 4:54 am

shadowplay wrote: cravat period And Also The Trees

D
i saw them support the cure, although obviously i can't actually remember anything about the gig at all... i was always suspicious of nick cave's southern drawl. AATT at least had the decency to be foppish englishmen without a single screamin jay hawkins record between them. They remind me a bit of the hellfire club in the Avengers. Bet one of them was going out with a diana rigg lookalike at the time, too....

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon May 07, 2012 6:04 am

I'd suggest also widening the net to other countries:

The was some amazing stuff in Berlin: Neubauten (of course), Malaria!, etc
More German stuff:
S.Y.P.H.
Der Plan
KFC
Palais Schaumberg
Fehlfarben (even though their "Ein Tag" ("es geht voran!") is still everywhere in German sports)
Andreas Dorau ("fred von Jupiter" is really funny, but this may be more NDW/new wave than post-punk)
early DAF
(there's a fabulous oral history on German punk/post-punk by Jürgen Teipel: Verschwende deine Jugend that I've been translating in fits and starts.)

France:
Metal Urbain (on Rough Trade, so probably still on the beaten path)
Charles de Goal

US:
Seattle:
The Blackouts
U-Men

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 07, 2012 6:21 am

cestlamort wrote:I'd suggest also widening the net to other countries:

The was some amazing stuff in Berlin: Neubauten (of course), Malaria!, etc
More German stuff:
S.Y.P.H.
Der Plan
KFC
Palais Schaumberg
Fehlfarben (even though their "Ein Tag" ("es geht voran!") is still everywhere in German sports)
Andreas Dorau ("fred von Jupiter" is really funny, but this may be more NDW/new wave than post-punk)
early DAF
(there's a fabulous oral history on German punk/post-punk by Jürgen Teipel: Verschwende deine Jugend that I've been translating in fits and starts.)

France:
Metal Urbain (on Rough Trade, so probably still on the beaten path)
Charles de Goal

US:
Seattle:
The Blackouts
U-Men
Yeah totally and this leads into two points made earlier;

1. In Europe the Smiths never culled as many bands as they did in the UK.

2. The style persisted in Europe well beyond 1985. You can still see this in all the old bands who still tour in Italy and Greece.

I am a big fan of EMAK (Elektronische Musik aus Köln)) -Tanz In Den Himmel you could say they were more synthpop but it's a broad church

I also ADORE The Neon Judgement. one of the good things about the post internet age is some of these manky old cassette only bands are getting better format releases. See Solid Space from the uk as another cassette example.

Oh and of course the well quoted (and referenced by LCD Sopundsystem) but plain amazing Grauzone - Eisbär A full on dark disko classik

D

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon May 07, 2012 6:46 am

Funnily, I discovered most of the post-punk obscurities while living in Germany / getting mix tapes from German friends.

(Anne Clark, Patrik Fitzgerald, Mona Mur is good too, et al).

The scene in Olympia, Washington in the late 80s/early 90s echoed that diversity/heterogeneity of UK post-punk to a degree. (K records, Kill Rock Stars, riot grrl, etc, but with a big dose of twee and/or handmade mittens).

The idea of the Smiths as a jangly juggernaut, obliterating post-punk difference, is quite interesting and would probably hold up to more scrutiny. I can see, however, how that may have been limited to the UK. (I had trouble with deciphering some lyrics and references as an American, even.)

I'll definitely check out more of the EMAK stuff. (tangentially, I wonder if the Drive soundtrack will get a new generation into this genre).