Brian Jonestown Massacre

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 am

sammynb wrote:Sad news - RIP PG.
Yeah RIP.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 am

Mark, just in case you don't know, the reissue of the ofThe Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere is out on Monday.

anyone into this sort of stuff who doesn't know the records already...

The Heads - Long Gone

The Heads - Dirty Water

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:30 pm

shadowplay wrote: The Heads - Long Gone
:freako: That was fucking nuts! Thanks!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

shadowplay wrote:Mark, just in case you don't know, the reissue of the ofThe Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere is out on Monday.

The Heads - Long Gone

The Heads - Dirty Water

D
Ommmmmmmm.... Ommmmmmm.... Ommmmmm.....

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 am

Ex Lion Tamer wrote:
shadowplay wrote:Mark, just in case you don't know, the reissue of the ofThe Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere is out on Monday.

The Heads - Long Gone

The Heads - Dirty Water

D
Ommmmmmmm.... Ommmmmmm.... Ommmmmm.....
The Guy out The Heads has a new project Anthroprophh, I've not had enough time to listen to it yet, I just opened the box and played a wee bit but had to get on with the dinner but thought it might be worth posting. The tracks I have heard are huge droning and often frenzied psyche, tempered with an almost industrial sense of the cutup. Kinda half Ash Ra Tempel(with a side order of Amon Duul II II/half Throbbing Gristle!

Mark, it also has a bit of a Terminal Cheeesecake thing going on IMO. (the track with the daft long title)

Anthroprophh - Outside The Circle

Whole LP on Bandcamp

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 pm

shadowplay wrote: The Guy out The Heads has a new project Anthroprophh, I've not had enough time to listen to it yet, I just opened the box and played a wee bit but had to get on with the dinner but thought it might be worth posting. The tracks I have heard are huge droning and often frenzied psyche, tempered with an almost industrial sense of the cutup. Kinda half Ash Ra Tempel(with a side order of Amon Duul II II/half Throbbing Gristle!

Mark, it also has a bit of a Terminal Cheeesecake thing going on IMO. (the track with the daft long title)

Whole LP on Bandcamp

D
I need to bury my head in work today but this may be the perfect distraction to all the madness going on in the office at the moment. Thanks.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:20 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
shadowplay wrote: The Guy out The Heads has a new project Anthroprophh, I've not had enough time to listen to it yet, I just opened the box and played a wee bit but had to get on with the dinner but thought it might be worth posting. The tracks I have heard are huge droning and often frenzied psyche, tempered with an almost industrial sense of the cutup. Kinda half Ash Ra Tempel(with a side order of Amon Duul II II/half Throbbing Gristle!

Whole LP on Bandcamp

D
I need to bury my head in work today but this may be the perfect distraction to all the madness going on in the office at the moment. Thanks.
I totally missed their first records, I've just ordered Anthroprophh ‎– Precession / Ebbe which sounds even better to me, definitely one of the more interesting modern kosmische missives (file close to Gnod). There's one other record that I can't seem to find a copy of, it's odd, I called my mate Alan to tell him about this because he's into the Heads and he told me he'd actually told me to buy it ages ago and that I obviously wasn't listening. Now this would be unusual for me since Alan is the Psychedelic Monarch and I always cock an ear to his tips, so I then do a search of my old emails and find that I did buy it but I never received it or the other record I bought at the same time and I'm just about to send an email about this, when I mention this to Young Shadowplay A&B and...surprise, surprise...I was away when it was delivered and they just stuck it with their records. ??? Time for me to do a full sweep, god knows what the Magpies have grabbed and restated the whole 'you take record, you write the name of the record in the lending book and sign out and sign in', a method that has previously served us well.

Oh and this reminds me about the Lay Llamas another band on Rocket, who are kinda swinging between psyche and the sort of thing that comes out on Deep Distance.

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm

I really like that track you linked, Outside The Circle.

Unfortunately the Bandcamp tracks wouldn't play at work (just 30 minutes of the spinny dots) so I bought the album on a whim. I'll give it a listen today & may end up getting their first, if it's as good as you say.

Thanks for the heads up.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:just 30 minutes of the spinny dot.
Ah The Spinny Dots, I love all their early singles...

That middle Anthroprophh LP (is really good or at least right up my street, it depends how you feel about repetition...I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it...

I bet Julian Cope adores this stuff.

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:10 am

shadowplay wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:just 30 minutes of the spinny dot.
Ah The Spinny Dots, I love all their early singles...

That middle Anthroprophh LP (is really good or at least right up my street, it depends how you feel about repetition...I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it...

I bet Julian Cope adores this stuff.

D
The album I bought is great. There are a couple of duff tunes but the bulk of it is magic. Very reminiscent of Voice Of Seven Thunders & I see what you mean about the Terminal Cheesecake & Gnod comparisons. I must say, my favourite moments are the mind-melting, delay drenched soundscapes & the heavy, heavy 70's-style psych tracks.

Time to dive into there rest of their material.

:)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:05 am

I saw this on my travels;

FYI new BJM 10'

D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 am

shadowplay wrote:I saw this on my travels;

FYI new BJM 10'

D
The last BJM record I bought was a 10".

I'm not so keen on this sample track. Might trawl YouTube to see what the others are like.
Most of his stuff is posted in demo form here & there.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:38 am

This isn't how I'd wanted to revive this thread but, going back 10 years...
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 am
Lifetimesupply wrote:Seeing them live can be a pretty mixed bag, often heavily dependent on Antons state of mind plus now so many morons get a kick out of trying to antagonize him.
Seriously, that's a thing of the past now...
It sounds like the sober years are over for Anton and his tour has become a car crash!

I keep seeing YouTube clips & Facebook discussions about onstage bust-ups & nasty interactions with the crowd and the sound desk. There were a couple of particularly bad US dates but it seems his Australian leg of the tour is slowly ending in tears.
Joel had to leave early due to a "family emergency" which may well be code for "I can't handle it any more" and the Melbourne gig ended in an on-stage punch-up with Ryan. The second date is cancelled & I can see the remaining dates being cancelled too, by the looks of things.

Folk have seen Anton ordering alcoholic drinks & there's a suspicion that it's cocaine is drawing thee monster back out of him. So fucking sad!!

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:11 am

one of my homies is out on tour with them as guitar-tech
cant wait til he gets home to hear some stories

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:32 am

"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.