Chris Stapleton - New Country Sensation

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Chris Stapleton - New Country Sensation

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Not sure how many people follow country music on this forum, but thought I'd post this. He was a bit of a dark horse before last night where he won 3 CMA awards including album of the year, best new artist, and best male vocalist. This guy grew up 25 minutes from where I live and is just one of the many talented musicians that call eastern Kentucky their home. I've been following his career for a couple years now and it is exciting to see someone finally get some recognition. The isolating mountains of Appalachia produce so much more talent than what the world will ever know. This in particular is something different for country music to help take it away from the direction it was going. Along with others like Sturgill Simpson who have broken onto the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADuUQT_fPCw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is also rocking Jazzmasters almost exclusively along with a vintage Gibson acoustic. I will say that his vocals are more impressive than his guitar skills. His wife's background vocals also follow him perfectly I might add.
BTW I'm not a huge country music person, but I do enjoy most of Stapleton's stuff.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chris Stapleton - New Country Sensation

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 pm

I was impressed enough after checking out a couple of songs to take a punt on ordering the album, should be here in a fortnight or so.

Funny to see a guy with ~15 years of solid songwriting credits winning a 'Best New Artist' award but that's awards for you :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Yeah, he actually had another song released a while back titled "what are you listening to?" I think. He also used to be a member of a group called the Steel Drivers where they did a song called "Where Rainbows Never Die" which apparently was popular. I haven't given that one a listen yet, but with a title like that, it has to be awesome.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:56 pm

I caught a little bit of the ACM awards last night. Truly awful stuff. But since this is where I first heard of Chris Stapleton, I thought I would bump this because he really cleaned up at the awards. He was the only thing I heard that had any semblance to Country music, but like I said, I didn't see much. He sang "Fire Away" with his wife and band without fanfare and pyrotechnics...just a good song, and I even heard a steel guitar in there. Oh, and he plays a Jazzmaster, which you never see in Country these days.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 am

he sings with rawness, soul. i caught him on Fallon one night and i was impressed.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:57 am

MKR wrote:he sings with rawness.
I was half looking at my phone and I read this as; 'He sings with Ravens' and I got quite excited.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:11 am

ya thought would be pretty cool.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:42 am

MKR wrote:ya thought would be pretty cool.
If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
MKR wrote:ya thought would be pretty cool.
If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity.

D
Former US Attorney General John Ashcroft

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:44 am

^^^

Disappointing lack of Eagle. I was thinking more of a Rhinestone version of Kuupuu - Yolle where she duets with an owl.

She's not usually that wild in the woods; check Taivut (Swayway).

D

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Since this thread woke back up I've had the opportunity to see him live. He put on a free concert at his hometown high school and it was great. His live vocal/guitar tone, his wife's harmonies were all on point. A truly talented act. Through his sponsorship he was also able to donate close to 60 grand in musical instruments to the school music/band department.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:Since this thread woke back up I've had the opportunity to see him live. He put on a free concert at his hometown high school and it was great. His live vocal/guitar tone, his wife's harmonies were all on point. A truly talented act. Through his sponsorship he was also able to donate close to 60 grand in musical instruments to the school music/band department.
They may have used film of that event in B-roll footage during the awards show. The "conquering home town hero returns to his roots" sort of thing Country loves to do. Country musicians as a rule do seem more fan friendly than those some other genres, and remembering where you came from--especially if you came from a small town--plays into the mythos as well.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Yes. I agree with you. I believe the atmosphere one grows up is more than just something that country music industry likes to relate to, though. In reality there is more of a psycho/social element to it all in regards to mutual feelings between Stapleton and hometown fans. It's somewhat hard to explain all the variables, but I see them.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 am

so instead of starting a new thread, i thought i'd bring this one back from the dead after a year :D
i recently saw Chris live, and he was phenomenal. his voice is amazing, and he's a great player. as a person that never enjoyed country, he's changed my mind and opened me up to country. He made me realize that there's some great country out there, that has nothing to do with the pop country crap that is popular these days.

he has a new album coming out in May and I'm looking forward to hearing it. he's got a killer ear, and a great band, so i'm sure it'll be solid.

here's a few of my favorites of his:

Chris Stapleton - Amanda (Live at the Grand Ole Opry)
his voice on this one gives me goosebumps.
Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos
off his upcoming album
Chris Stapleton - More of You (NPR Tiny Desk)
love this one. especially the album version with the mandolin
Chris Stapleton - Fire Away
This is a killer song

also he had Lindi Ortega open for him here, and she was also great. this one caught my ear
Lindi Ortega - Heaven Has No Vacancy

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 am

Chris Stapleton and Sturgil Simpson are the best things to come along in country music in a very, very long time. I hope this marks a resurgence in authenticity for the genre and can combat the dead horse bullshit tripe Nashville has branded as 'Murika.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.