New Here: Doing research to buy my first JazzMaster

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
david.is.goliath
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Here: Doing research to buy my first JazzMaster

Post by david.is.goliath » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm on a few other forums, mostly aguitarforum and TDPRI as Golem. I joined here to do some research for an upcoming plan to buy a MIJ/CIJ Jazzmaster.
Someone had my username hence the change of handle.

I was lucky enough to score Kinman Fatmaster pickups relatively cheaply while in the Philippines (waiting for my wife's spousal via to the US) and have decided to buy a MIJ Jazzmaster if I can find one I like. MIJ Fender, Tokai, Edwards, etc. guitars are pretty easy to come by and there's a few people who sell them at somewhat reasonable rates hence my choice of MIJ. Some say the pickups and electronics need to be changed. Clearly I've got the pickups ready to go and am looking at finding a reputable shop to do the wiring.

I'm thinking of going for the wiring mention on this page: http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_jazzmaster_stb.html. I don't really care for series wiring, but I love idea of the passive treble and bass circuit (G&L style) and the independent volume controls for each pickup. If anybody has an alternative to the series/parallel switch. I've tried traditional wiring on two pre-CBS Jazzmasters that friends own. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either (I mostly ignore the fancy switches). I'd rather have something like this which I think I might make better use of. Of course the next step is to find a guitar shop in the Philippines capable of doing custom wiring.

I think I'm a little worried about owning a guitar with Vintage Radius. I've loved the two Pre-CBS JM's I've tried, but always felt that they felt easier to play than strats and teles with the vintage radius. Perhaps it was what had been done with the frets over the years?