Aloha from North Carolina

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Spoopyman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Aloha from North Carolina

Post by Spoopyman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

New here, I've lurked many guitar and other forums for quite some time. I post only on a few like shortscale.org which is where I heard of this place. And I've been a long time lover of Jazzmasters, by far one of my favorite guitars ever. So far I've owned two. I had a fender Jazzmaster red sparkle finish with matching headstock, this was back in like 07-09. Sadly, traded it for an Epiphone Sheraton ii because at the time I became a huge Silversun pickups fan and wanted the same guitar as the lead singer. So I made the trade. I regretted it not too long after, I missed the tone of my Jazzmaster. I could easily play many different genres and artists with it and it would fit in perfectly with the right settings. Even though it has its unique tone qualities, it seems to fill in many roles.
Anyways, after a 5-year hiatus of zero guitars and anything musical related playing. The past couple months I've gotten back into and holy shit it seems like I've there's so much to catch up on. Not so much song or guitar related but so many pedals out there on the market as well as amps. I'm loving how the pedal and amp industry expanded so much so you're not just limited to the usual old stuff. I've grown a bit of an addiction to pedals now lol since it's opened up the world to more musical capabilities and new sonic zones to embark on.

I stopped playing when I moved away from all my friends in Jersey 5 years ago, all of which shared the same musical chemistry and we could jam for hours. It was easy since we all liked the same music, whatever instrument we picked up, we always were able to jam along and make something new and creative that was usually a mix of the music we listened too. It's like finding your soulmate, you just click and everything comes together without thought or action. I've tried jamming with a couple of my friends down here but their taste in music are very different, so our playing styles never really matched up. So it has been a bit of pain to find someone to play with which is why I stopped. And it bothered me for a long time that I stopped playing since it was my emotional release and stress reliever. It was something that could get me pumped or calm me down. My escape from the world.

But a couple months ago I decided to change that. After getting a new full-time job that paid way better than my last, I figured I'd purchase something to inspire me to play more. I went to Sam Ash ready to buy whatever Jazzmaster they had within a decent price range. They only had a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster, initially, I was disappointed, I wanted a Fender like the one I had before. But decided to give it a try and I was blown away. A majority of squiers I played in the past usually always had a cheapness about them besides price, you were either sacrificing tone or comfort or both. But this felt like a good standard Fender version Jazzmaster, even better in some ways. The satin neck finish which is incredible smooth compared to your regular neck was amazing. The tone from the pickups were on point, almost exactly like my old Jazzmaster if not the same. I just loved everything about it, down to the color scheme. (Except the high string action) I do love me some Dinosaur Jr. J. Mascis is the slowest man on earth, not mentally, just when it comes to speaking. But damn he was a genius when it came to customizing it to make it better in certain areas. Props to him on that. There was also a couple of nice looking Squier Jaguars with nice colorings and special Duncan designed pickups. Tried those out as well, they were nice and again felt more like a Fender. I'm guessing Squier stepped up their guitar game in recent years. I debated between them both. At the end of the day, the Jazzmaster tone won it over for me. The Jaguars sounded more like a Strat with its pickups and I already own a Fender Strat.

So I bought it and I've been playing ever since. Not only that but also finally bought a nice fully tubed amp, Vox AC15C1. And recently traded in my Epiphone Sheraton ii and a bunch of old gear I didn't want for a Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute 2016 Satin Honeyburst finish last week, I've always wanted a Gibson Les paul. And I've been going crazy with pedals over the months, I've spent quite a lot of money on pedals almost as much as all the guitars I got combined. Mostly trying them out and if I don't like them, I return them for something else. Which I've done a couple times already and about to again. I've also found a bunch that fit my needs and are staying on my board for now.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aloha from North Carolina

Post by Groovy Tunes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Right on man! What pedals do you have on your board now and what genre are you mostly into?