New design I've been working on

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
edouglaspratt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New design I've been working on

Post by edouglaspratt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am

hhhehehe wrote:What do you think of this Musicman-esque headstock? http://i.imgur.com/LUq1lXN.jpg
Thanks for inviting our suggestions, h.

Yeah, this headstock flows with the body shape better and looks more balanced than the 5 & 1 option.

Love the natural and the Oly, especially with tort. I agree with the suggestions to replace the pickguard angles with graceful curves which complement the body.

The Mustang bridge is a good bridge (I like mine) and looks especially good with the lipstick tube pup...! Of course, you want the sound to be the priority with pups. Not aesthetics.

And a final thought. :whistle: The rear bouts look sexy. The whole guitar would come together in this sexy way if both horns were noticeably shorter. By the way, I'm just up the road from you. In Stuttgart.

Enjoy!

hhhehehe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hhhehehe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks for the in depth answer, Douglas! I like to have several peoples opinions, sometimes you can be blind to your own mistakes.

I've been thinking about it, and I'm pretty settled on the Olympic White/tort combo. As for the pickups, I decided on the Jazz neck pup because of it's rich and warm tones, so I thought it would make sense to get a brighter, sharper pup in the bridge position. I of course chose the lipstick because it's pretty, but I've been reading and listening to it a bit today and I think it sounds good and could really compliment the Jazz pup. Although I plan to play most genres (from smooth jazz to doom metal!) on this axe, soul and funk are a substantial part of my repertoire, so the "jangly" sound might actually be exactly what it needs!

Not sure if I wanna shorten the horns – don't want to run the risk of poor balance or "neck dives". I'll think about it.
• There are two kinds of people in this world; those who say disco is dead, and those who got ~mad moves~ •

hhhehehe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hhhehehe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 am

Printed a 1:1 paper copy and taped it up on my telecaster: http://i.imgur.com/bKeltqZ.jpg
• There are two kinds of people in this world; those who say disco is dead, and those who got ~mad moves~ •