The Official OSG Coffee Table Book Thread!

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Official OSG Coffee Table Book Thread!

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 am

Despot wrote:That's the way to go Nick. I'm not a collector - I have guitars to play the hell out of them, but I do see myself as being a curator in ways ... like with my Jaguar and the whole 'Ron Joy' mark in the neck pocket. OSG revealed the probable identify of the guy (who turned out to be of Irish origins too!) and found a few more with his name in the neck pocket. It's that sort of cool back story that would interest me as well as the pr0n. I like to know as much of the back story as I can find about any old guitar I have - sometimes you hit a brick wall (i.e. "I bought it from a store and I never asked them"), but sometimes you can find out a little bit about them.

I mean, how many of ... say ... Pat's guitars have a cool history behind them. Or the Telliotmaster. Or your own '64 JM Nick.

I'm just trying to think about the stuff I'd have been interested to read as a kid or teenager ... I'd have lapped up background stuff on cool old guitars, as well as the pics.
It's the feeling I've had reading reading all these bits about people's guitars here and drooling over the photos. Its the same feeling I had as a kid - I'm still passionate about guitars in this way, only now its more focused on offsets. I think to get guitars in this book that have a back-story is especially important. Whether its the owner's personal story of how it was acquired or a rumored and sordid history - it brings these guitars to life.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 am

Good one Doug! I remember that thread. And we DEFINITELY need a "Vintage Markings" section. We'll show off our Mells. 8)

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:30 am

DocCarlson wrote:Well, how should people submit? Just to this thread? Maybe post a few pics and your blurb for your guitars that you want posted?
I think submitting to the thread is fine. I'd like to keep it open and transparent in case there are any suggestions or objections, etc.
Don't know that we're ready to start taking submissions just yet. Although, off the top of my head I can think of about a dozen or so guitars on here that I'd love to begin with. :ph34r:

I'd like to see what other ideas we can come up with. It would be nice to get a general consensus for what would want out of a book like this.
Last edited by Ursa Minor on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 am

DocCarlson wrote:Well, how should people submit? Just to this thread? Maybe post a few pics and your blurb for your guitars that you want posted?
I'd say perhaps specify some basics in terms of the photos to be taken DC - like recommendations on backdrop, angle, lighting perhaps - anything to get some consistency. Then we could put stuff up on this thread (or maybe a submissions thread) and folk could take the full quality images from our photo buckets/imageshack accounts by clicking through to the image.

It should be on the understanding that any images/blurb submitted may be subject to editing etc, but to be used solely for the purpose of The Knowledge (aka the OSG book).

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:37 am

We need a section on the difference between MIJ, CIJ, AV, PV, MIM and CIC reissues as well as what's wrong with the bridge and how to fix it. Probably be good to have a 300 page section on the VMs too. Also a chapter on Sonic Youth on the differences between creation and evolution and a political chapter. But nothing controversial though. And in the forward we would have to specify that these guitars are for only for surf and punk. Oh, and how to route for HBs at home using a hammer and screwdriver.
Q. Are we not men?

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:38 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

thepastrecedes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thepastrecedes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:2) Historical Pictorial - not just pre and post-CBS, there are so many little variations from year to year and month to month. We could easily break it down by model and year, if applicable. (e.g. - Jazzmasters would have more info and pics from 58-66, but not so much from 67-80.)
I think that this section could include tips for purchasing due to the variations of offsets. I'm yet to buy vintage but this book could be useful
Game Of T0NZ

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

I really like this idea a lot!

As far as photos, I think if you want the book to LOOK really good there needs to be some aesthetic direction across the board. Having people simply submit the best photos of their guitars doesn't necessarily mean they will all look good together. That book, "The Golden Age" has a really good simple aesthetic to all the photos, the vast majority are on a plain black background with a select few having no background or being a detail shot taking up more of the page.

If you want the image quality to be really good simply submitting to this thread won't do. People will need to send their images to a designated person here (preferably someone with photoshop that can change the color from RGB to CMYK for print purposes if necessary) so they can get the highest quality images and save them on a hard drive.

Having size requirements, lighting requirements, and background requirements for photos I think will really help the book flow and look like a considered object instead of looking like a compilation of everyone's different glamour shots.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:57 am

my bloody television wrote:I really like this idea a lot!

As far as photos, I think if you want the book to LOOK really good there needs to be some aesthetic direction across the board. Having people simply submit the best photos of their guitars doesn't necessarily mean they will all look good together. That book, "The Golden Age" has a really good simple aesthetic to all the photos, the vast majority are on a plain black background with a select few having no background or being a detail shot taking up more of the page.

Having size requirements, lighting requirements, and background requirements for photos I think will really help the book flow and look like a considered object instead of looking like a compilation of everyone's different glamour shots.
Having a clean design will only aid to the success and classy-factor of this book. This is a main area of interest to me. Consistency is uber important.
I know we'll never have everyone go out and get professional photos of their guitars either - so finding a common thread or maybe a way to photograph them with a ref. to location. I saw a shot on a rooftop in Brooklyn recently that would be excellent for example.

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 pm

^^^^^^^

Definitely! Consistency is key. :)

Maybe some sun-drenched outdoor photos like the one above that can also reflect where the guitars reside and then some more "studio" looking shots wiht a solid background and pro lighting?

By the way, that roof looks quite close to me...and that is one sexy guitar!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 pm

luau wrote: .....Despot has enough beautiful guitars around for a damn coffee table book.....
Fixed. :whistle:

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

StevenO wrote:
luau wrote: .....Despot has enough beautiful guitars around for a damn coffee table book.....
Fixed.
Ha!
Only two that would make it into an offset book though ... and I think there are cleaner examples of both ('62 JM and LPB '65 Jag) owned by others here on OSG (I know mordecainyc has a damn clean LPB Jaguar for example).

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:38 am

my bloody television wrote:I really like this idea a lot!

If you want the image quality to be really good simply submitting to this thread won't do. People will need to send their images to a designated person here (preferably someone with photoshop that can change the color from RGB to CMYK for print purposes if necessary) so they can get the highest quality images and save them on a hard drive.

Seriously, an amazing book takes a big shot to its legitimacy if there is even ONE low-res, pixellated photo in it. Better to leave the guitar out of the book than put it in with a substandard image. Seriously. Or a pic with someone's toes in it.

SERIOUSLY.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 am

^^^ Couldn't agree more. If its to be done at all. It absolutely has to be done right.