I've got a Dropbox unzipping issue, thoughts?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I've got a Dropbox unzipping issue, thoughts?

Post by Soggasaurus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 am

Yo, I'm trying the whole remote collaboration thing for the first time and me and my bandmate have decided to use Dropbox to exchange Garageband files so we can edit and send songs back and forth. I recently uploaded a few tracks for him to work on, all of which made it onto Dropbox without issue, but he's having trouble unzipping the files once he downloads them. For the record, I'm using the newest version of Garageband and OS X Mavericks and he has both the new Garageband and Logic. Has anyone else had any similar issues and found a solution?

U.K.L.Lee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I've got a Dropbox unzipping issue, thoughts?

Post by U.K.L.Lee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 am

It's the way the files are compressed its pretty common going between OS's. Use rar (WinRAR) compression instead.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:57 am

Have him download Stuffit, it's free at the basic level and that's all you need:

http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffit-expander-mac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that doesn't work then I'd be surprised. Making everything be a .rar file would probably work also, only Macs will compress a file to a .zip at the click of a button so that file type is a little more Mac-centric and that's what I'd stick with going between two Macs. The OS version shouldn't matter. I think though that it's possible that his Mac doesn't have a built in expander for whatever reason, some Macs don't until you download something like Stuffit.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soggasaurus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 am

Awesome, thanks for the input! It sounds like the issue may be solved, though I haven't heard what additions he's made yet or how he fixed the issue. I'll be sure to report back as soon as I know.