Recording other artists

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Recording other artists

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm

I know a lot of you guys record your own music and bands, but I was wondering how many of you have recorded a friend or acquaintance's music? Any experiences of note?

Personally, I've thought about it but I always end up talking myself out of it, mostly because I'd be concerned about any friction on how the recording sounds.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recording other artists

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:35 am

Jan Deal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm
I know a lot of you guys record your own music and bands, but I was wondering how many of you have recorded a friend or acquaintance's music? Any experiences of note?

Personally, I've thought about it but I always end up talking myself out of it, mostly because I'd be concerned about any friction on how the recording sounds.
I have some amount of experience in this area. The most important thing, I feel, is clear communication.

As far as friction on how the recording sounds... that is part of it, at times. Many times, people will be ecstatic right off the bat. Other times, there's something they're hoping for where the path is not straightforward or immediate, and you have to collectively figure out how to get there.

In these cases it's best if it's less like a "service for hire" and more like a "collaboration." It's okay to fail and search for solutions together. And this is where the communication about your role comes into play.

A big difficulty comes when a group or artist is inexperienced with the process, and doesn't have a more-experienced person to help guide them through. However, if you can earn their trust enough to BE that person, and your input is welcome, you can do a lot of good together.

The trickiest thing--there are a lot of things that are really outside the purview of the recordist, but we are subject to being held responsible. If there's a guitar part that's poorly-conceived and stepping all over the vocal, for example, you'll likely face the impossible task of reconciling this. Crucially, this is not an issue of engineering, but rather arranging/production. Unless you're free and welcome to point that out (and often this input will NOT be welcome or appropriate!), you'll struggle for a solution. That can be the most difficult bit. But sometimes you can manage to FIND a solution, and that's gratifying in its own way.

But I think it's worth it. If you have anxiety about the group or artist's satisfaction, that goes away with time. Maybe do a few pro bono projects of close friends first. I think confidence is important

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 pm

nm
Last edited by mgeek on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:11 am

To clarify an earlier point—

If you feel like you’re still learning is the time to take on projects for free.

Yes it will suck. But you will learn and develop confidence

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:28 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:35 am
Jan Deal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm

I have some amount of experience in this area. The most important thing, I feel, is clear communication.

As far as friction on how the recording sounds... that is part of it, at times. Many times, people will be ecstatic right off the bat. Other times, there's something they're hoping for where the path is not straightforward or immediate, and you have to collectively figure out how to get there.

In these cases it's best if it's less like a "service for hire" and more like a "collaboration." It's okay to fail and search for solutions together. And this is where the communication about your role comes into play.

A big difficulty comes when a group or artist is inexperienced with the process, and doesn't have a more-experienced person to help guide them through. However, if you can earn their trust enough to BE that person, and your input is welcome, you can do a lot of good together.

The trickiest thing--there are a lot of things that are really outside the purview of the recordist, but we are subject to being held responsible. If there's a guitar part that's poorly-conceived and stepping all over the vocal, for example, you'll likely face the impossible task of reconciling this. Crucially, this is not an issue of engineering, but rather arranging/production. Unless you're free and welcome to point that out (and often this input will NOT be welcome or appropriate!), you'll struggle for a solution. That can be the most difficult bit. But sometimes you can manage to FIND a solution, and that's gratifying in its own way.

But I think it's worth it. If you have anxiety about the group or artist's satisfaction, that goes away with time. Maybe do a few pro bono projects of close friends first. I think confidence is important
That's some really good insight and advice, thanks!
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 am

I prefer to record other bands, so much easier to not being doing so much at once. Plus it is easier to put on that hat and tell people to chill while setting up the drums which really can take forever. xD
If OSG has tort me anything...