new acoustic treatment material day

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

new acoustic treatment material day

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:03 am

So yesterday I was taking a lil' break from work and checking craigslist and saw this pop up:

I've been wanting to get my room dialed in a little better, but have always put off by the cost. As it happened the rest of my family was out of town on a short trip which left me with some free time to go on a ridiculous errand, so 2 hours in a rented truck later I have a LOT of this stuff.

My bandmate/friend has a compound miter saw, so what I'm thinking we might do is spend an afternoon putting some frames together and building some more manageably sized panels we can both use.

I own my place (well, halfway through a 30 year mortgage on it anyway), and the basement has the typical late 60's/70's wood paneling, so in theory I could do something more permanent, but I'm thinking panels would be better in the event that we get moisture, etc... It might be fun to make a few gobos too, and/or maybe a portable vocal booth kind of thing?

Any advice on how to actually use this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you're in the Seattle area there's very a good chance I will have some leftovers, so hit me up if interested.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: new acoustic treatment material day

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:18 pm

Great find! It's more likely to be PET felt, than wool felt. PET felt is made from recycled plastic bottles. It can be cut with normal tools and you can use heat to melt the edges or possibly even to shape it into a diy acoustic shell. You can screw through it into a wall (might need a fender washer) or use construction adhesive. Good luck!
Doug
@dpcannafax

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:53 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:18 pm
Great find! It's more likely to be PET felt, than wool felt. PET felt is made from recycled plastic bottles. It can be cut with normal tools and you can use heat to melt the edges or possibly even to shape it into a diy acoustic shell. You can screw through it into a wall (might need a fender washer) or use construction adhesive. Good luck!
It looks and feels like there’s some wool in it, but yeah no way it’s 100% wool.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:42 pm

Are they only 7/8" thick? You will get best results (aka aborption to the widest frequency range, aka down to the lowest frequencies) the thicker they are. Whether you decide to do 2, 3, or 4 inch is up to you, but real broadband absorption requires mass, otherwise you will only be absorbing higher frequencies and not very much of them. You can add to their effective surface area by suspending them a few inches off the wall, leaving space behind the back of the panel for sound to bounce off the wall and into the panel.

Typical panels like this are usually 2x4 feet, so if you decided to cut them to those dimensions and triple stack them to get ~2.5" thick panels, that would be 12 of them total? That's a great haul for free and would give you lots of options for placement around your room. But six 4x4 panels would be pretty good too, and less work.
Last edited by Dok on Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local milk person

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:47 pm

Dok is correct, and I don't know what material it is, but if you are able to build frames then you can double the material up.

I learned a lot from these folks.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:15 am

Correct, you don't want a bunch of thin panels in a room because small rooms suffer much worse from standing waves in the lower frequencies than from flutter echoes in the high frequencies.

Generally speaking, in a small room (and almost any room any of us owns or rents is considered "small" from an acoustic perspective), you primarily want to be building bass traps, because the absorptive type of bass trap is going to also function as a broadband absorber of midrange and high frequencies, so they'll naturally take care of flutter echoes as well as balance the low end. Purposely building absorbers that don't extend down beyond the upper midrange (i.e. 1-2" thick panels with most materials) simply worsens the tonal imbalance in the room, even if it addresses flutter echoes.

Having said that, absorptive bass traps are most effective when used at wall-wall interfaces in a room (i.e. corners, edges) and your first reflection points won't be there, so some thinner (2-5") panels at those points are extremely impactful. Those points are the spots on the walls and ceiling where placing a mirror would show you the tweeter on one of your monitors or whatever sound source you'd be listening to in a rehearsal room (e.g. a drum kit or guitar amp) from a given listening position.

To figure out what frequencies your absorbers will actually reach down to, you need to know their flow resistivity to air, which is not a spec you'll ever get for these mystery panels, but if they're wool, they're on the denser side (vs things like pink fiberglass batting).

You probably don't want anything thinner than 2" panels, or at least I wouldn't. You also want to take advantage of air gaps. Building a frame that places your absorptive material spaced off the wall with an air gap of up to the same thickness as the absorber itself will increase its effective frequency range. A 2" absorber held 2" off the wall behaves identically to a 4" thick absorber flush against the wall. 2" of absorber with a 1" air gap behaves like a 3" thick absorber flush against the wall. This is a consequence of the way the sound wave passes through the absorber, hits the reflective wall surface, and travels back through the absorber again. This phenomenon breaks down at air gap distances greater than the thickness of the absorber for reasons too complex for me to type out right now (e.g. a 2" absorber with a 3" air gap will not behave like a 5" absorber, even though it'll behave like a 4" one when built with a 2" air gap).

The reason you don't want to build overly thin panels is the same reason acousticians don't generally like carpets in small rooms. Carpets are just super thin absorbers that suck out energy in the treble range and nowhere else, leaving the room sounding muddy and exacerbating the problems they already have to fight with in a room that size.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:28 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Yeah, building some frames seem like the way to go so I can leave a gap.

Maybe I can use the offcuts to make some bass traps.

A few small gobos for home and practice space would be nice too.

Probably going to be a little while before before I’ll be able to do anything, but it will need to be while the weather is still nice.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:55 pm

Dok wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:42 pm
real broadband absorption requires mass
(Not really true, unless you’re exclusively employing the old brute-force “add more soft stuff” method—apologies for the pedantry!)

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:55 pm
Dok wrote:
(Not really true, unless you’re exclusively employing the old brute-force “add more soft stuff” method—apologies for the pedantry!)
Can you please clarify? My understanding of how broadband acoustic panels work is generally that the thicker they are, the lower the frequencies they'll absorb (to a point). And it's why bass traps tend to be super thick so they can deal with longer wavelengths. Perhaps I should have said density instead of mass? I definitely don't want to contribute any more to the decades of internet acoustical misinformation. :freako:
Local milk person

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:06 am

Dok wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:55 pm
Dok wrote:
Can you please clarify? My understanding of how broadband acoustic panels work is generally that the thicker they are, the lower the frequencies they'll absorb (to a point). And it's why bass traps tend to be super thick so they can deal with longer wavelengths. Perhaps I should have said density instead of mass? I definitely don't want to contribute any more to the decades of internet acoustical misinformation. :freako:
I won't speak for Brad, but I think I get his point.

1) You're talking about velocity-based absorption. The moving air particles ram into a matrix of fibers that vibrate upon impact and convert kinetic energy into tiny amounts of waste heat, leaving the air molecules with less kinetic energy and therefore lower amplitude sound waves.

There is an entirely difference class of absorbers, the pressure-based ones. Examples include Helmholtz resonators. You can still make "broadband" pressure-based treatments by combining various styles of pressure-based traps that are each effective in different frequency ranges instead of one that is tuned to a very narrow band (like a Helmholtz). These treatments don't rely on mass so much as the size and location of holes in a thin, rigid board, for example. It is actually often the act of removing mass, like cutting out holes or slits, carving out air cavities, etc, that provides the effective absorption. Introducing a lightweight, limp membrane into the structure is another great way to make a pressure-based absorber, and in that case, adding more mass would destroy its effectiveness by making it too heavy or rigid to serve its function.

2) Even with velocity-based absorbers, it is not the act of adding mass itself that increases the width of the effective frequency band. From a physics perspective, you making several big assumptions by stating it that way, including: A) That the physical structure of the absorptive material is homogeneous, B) That you are adding mass by increasing the depth of the material relative to the incident soundwave rather than length or width (a 36"x12"x1" thick piece of mineral wool has a broader range of absorption than a 72"x"72"x0.5" one of equal density, though the second is more massive), and several more assumptions that become increasingly pedantic to the point that I don't feel like laying them out because I'll just end up paraphrasing an entire chapter or two out of an Acoustics textbook.

I took a graduate-level course on acoustics and studio design so I love getting into the nitty-gritty details of this shit, and even Brad was apologetic about how pedantic this could get, because we aren't talking about figuring out how to design a room, we are talking about how to employ a bunch of free rigid felt boards, which are obviously going to be used as simple velocity-based broadband absorbers.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:23 pm

Embenny wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:06 am
I took a graduate-level course on acoustics and studio design so I love getting into the nitty-gritty details of this shit, and even Brad was apologetic about how pedantic this could get, because we aren't talking about figuring out how to design a room, we are talking about how to employ a bunch of free rigid felt boards, which are obviously going to be used as simple velocity-based broadband absorbers.
Right, which is why I was just trying to say "stack 'em up". And I'll further change the magic word to "depth" and y'all can quibble about what I mean. 8)
Local milk person

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:37 pm

Dok wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:23 pm
Right, which is why I was just trying to say "stack 'em up". And I'll further change the magic word to "depth" and y'all can quibble about what I mean. 8)
Hey, no quibbling here. I was just trying to expand on what I thought Brad was referring to, and even he knew exactly what we were all talking about here, which is how to take the most practical approach to deploying these specific panels for acoustic purposes.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:11 pm

I know barely enough to know how much I don't know about acoustics--this was driven home when we built three Northward Acoustics rooms in 2018 and was humbled by the sophistication of the technology, and the space-efficiency of the absorption techniques. I really learned a lot!

Many of those techniques are proprietary and I agreed not to talk about them publicly (not that I understand all of them in-depth anyway), but I did learn that there are many ways to remove or redirect energy.

We all probably know that an impedance mismatch between an amplifier and speaker cabinet can cause a reduction in efficiency. Electronics are not the only domain where impedances exist, and impedance mismatches can sometimes be leveraged in the acoustic domain, as well. More density (better word than "mass" here, I think) isn't always as effective as different densities employed in conjunction.

Pressure-based absorption (as-mentioned) can take the form not only of helmholtz resonators but also membrane traps (which are incredibly space-efficient for the amount of energy they remove).

It also seems as though brand-new technologies are emerging, like electrospun nanofibers, but I know nothing about that, really.

But again... I know barely enough to comprehend just how little I know about the science of acoustics.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:36 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:11 pm
I just wanted to say how unbelievably privileged you are to have witnessed THREE Northward rooms being built. Holy crap.

When I was taking my acoustics/studio design courses, their work came up. A lot.

And I mentioned membranes as well in my post above - Northward does some crazy shit with them (and every other technology and design principle known to man).

The thing that stupefies me most about their rooms is that they manage to incorporate top tier, bleeding-edge acoustics into rooms that can only be described as aesthetic masterpieces.

Acoustics is a discipline focused on numbers and objective performance, but architecture is about the much more subjective interactions between form and function. To incorporate that level of performance into rooms that are so unique, beautiful and inspiring to work in is just awe-inspiring.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:49 am

I turned up every day for nine months and swung hammers to build them, and am fortunate enough to mix in one of them regularly (although I now have to fly across the continent to do so, which is… inconvenient).

Thomas is a not only incredibly gifted as a designer, but amazing to work with and generous with his time.

Two of ours are the innovative FTB rooms; the third is an “edit room” with more conventional treatment. Even that simpler design sounds fantastic; better than most control rooms I’ve been in.

No crazy glass walls in ours; we were only really concerned with getting the closest thing that currently exists to a perfect monitoring environment.

It’s crazy how good those rooms are and how well they translate… and also how much other stuff becomes apparent when you effectively solve the problems that predominate most rooms.

For example… when we got the big SSL out of there and went to a hybrid ITB setup with a lower-profile desk, the monitoring improved noticeably. The diffraction around (and reflections off of) the console essentially became the biggest acoustic problem in the room (until we eliminated it)

As much as I loved the SSL (and good analog consoles in general), losing it was a sum positive for the room