Band with no drummer, what is your solution?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
losmarvins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Band with no drummer, what is your solution?

Post by losmarvins » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm

You can always play the drums with your feet... Kind of a two piece onemanband, ala King khan & BBQ show! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpzWGKb9zys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eigentone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eigentone » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:26 am

I just programmed and recorded the tracks using Logic and some plugins. When it came time to rehearse and play out, just play back a bounce of the drums. That approach is not for everyone or every style, but we got away with it easy.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 am

An iPad with Garageband on it.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 am

You can get around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cUhOm ... 1cUhOm1dZ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:19 pm

eigentone wrote:I just programmed and recorded the tracks using Logic and some plugins. When it came time to rehearse and play out, just play back a bounce of the drums. That approach is not for everyone or every style, but we got away with it easy.
This is exactly what my band does- it's not a totally air-tight way of performing, but neither is playing with people.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Larry Mal wrote:You can get around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cUhOm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 1cUhOm1dZ4

but who would win a death match between "Roland' and "Doktor Avalanche"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Fuck jet packs and robo-prostitutes! What we need is a good robot drummer that won't spill beer on your amp, bang your girlfriend or show up to rehearsal with "Hey, check out this song I wrote!" :P

choice_of_meat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by choice_of_meat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 pm

I used an old roland Cr-5000 I got for $50 for years.. any of those cheap "auto-accompaniment" old drum machines are pretty fun once your playing with them, they are great for just getting a backbeat going.

That trio pedal looks interesting.

otherwise I usually just jam to BFD or such if I don't have a drummer, but ive also gone the route of syncing my boomerang looper to external drum machines, or even playing a drum pad machine into the boomerrang etc.. which is also fun.

missionguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by missionguitars » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:28 pm

I was going to drop the SR-16 recommendation, but if you are already using the SR-18, you are actually 2 steps ahead of me... ;)

I don't envy your situation, I've had issues with every drummer I've ever played with. Big things. Like showing up. At all. I can even handle stoned/drunk, but geez...

Keep running ads for one and using the machine for now, if you need to contract someone to cut a track, I know Sweetwater has a service where they have a pro that will bust out a legit backing track for $99 or something like that.

This is also your chance to learn how to drum as well...cheap kits on craigslist can be had for $200-$300 - do it!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:12 am

Our solution was to go ambient for a couple of gigs we got.
We decided we can't really replace one and make it sound good, without some more rare musician programming the drum machine in real time anyway, so embraced it and wrote a new set for what is hopefully a brief period- no percussion!embracing the ambient/classical/drones!.

In between drummers again, the ones we have are fine, but they find us 'too committed' to music or not having the time as soon as we get gigs. So many like that! I wonder what they think we are rehearsing for! Luckily we've got quite a few who will lay down tracks who've played with us before from this.

veryredtomatoes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by veryredtomatoes » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Hey, where are you guys that need drummers?

I'm in the STL, and I play drums as well as guitar and some other stuff. If you wanna audition me, I'd be happy to beat the skins for you.

Assuming, you know, me and you share musical interests, have compatible personalities etc etc etc.
Today is a good day to die.