Favorite Groove Boxes/Drum Machines?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Favorite Groove Boxes/Drum Machines?

Post by burpgun » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am

Marc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:38 pm
I did a lot of stuff with the Alesis HR16 back in the day … the grey doorstop.

Currently have a Moog DFAM which is isn’t really a groove box but what i do is sync it to logic, record a load of improvisations and edit down to make loops. I also sometimes chop up a loop in recycle and then rearrange in the Reason Rex player which gives it a lot of mileage.

I also have the Cyclone TT78 which is like a 606 on steroids with a voice set more like a Roland CR68. Very programmable and separate outs too!
I had an HR-16 and was so excited when I saw New Order used one in some capacity. I think the buttons/pads were velocity senstive and got kind of squirely over time. I don't think the sounds were that great in retrospect, I recall the piccolo snare stood out. My unit eventually kind of fell apart and I moved to a DM-4 which had all the same sounds and more, you just did your programming in the computer.

My sense is now is that unless you're using some sort of analog unit it's so much easier to do this all on the computer now. To that end, I just bought the Cherry Audio CR-78 plug in to stratch the drum box itch.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Re: Favorite Groove Boxes/Drum Machines?

Post by Marc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 am

burpgun wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am
Marc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:38 pm
I did a lot of stuff with the Alesis HR16 back in the day … the grey doorstop.

Currently have a Moog DFAM which is isn’t really a groove box but what i do is sync it to logic, record a load of improvisations and edit down to make loops. I also sometimes chop up a loop in recycle and then rearrange in the Reason Rex player which gives it a lot of mileage.

I also have the Cyclone TT78 which is like a 606 on steroids with a voice set more like a Roland CR68. Very programmable and separate outs too!
I had an HR-16 and was so excited when I saw New Order used one in some capacity. I think the buttons/pads were velocity senstive and got kind of squirely over time. I don't think the sounds were that great in retrospect, I recall the piccolo snare stood out. My unit eventually kind of fell apart and I moved to a DM-4 which had all the same sounds and more, you just did your programming in the computer.

My sense is now is that unless you're using some sort of analog unit it's so much easier to do this all on the computer now. To that end, I just bought the Cherry Audio CR-78 plug in to stratch the drum box itch.
Yes I have the demo of the CR-78 right now - it’s cool!

Agree not much point using a hardware drum box for samples these days unless you are deliberately going for a particular sound such as Linn or Yamaha RX, DMX etc.