I need a good/cost efficient drum kit. Also, which Cymbals?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need a good/cost efficient drum kit. Also, which Cymba

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I mean, you'll be buying cymbals as you go, adding to the kit, replacing drum heads. The only constant in the kit is going to be the actual drums themselves, so that's where you want to spend your money, at least at first.

You can get by with cheaper cymbals for a bit as you figure out your needs, some people and music like a brighter sound, a faster decay, etc. That takes time so just go with a major brand at a price you can afford until you learn the difference with your own ears. Don't sweat it.

Same with drum heads, fuck, with tuning the drums, with everything. That all comes as you go. Stands can be inexpensive at first and replaced as you go, or not. Don't sweat that.

The only thing that can't change is the actual drums themselves, you are stuck with their sound and voicing. So spend your money there for now.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for all who have contributed. I have bit the bullet and will be getting these drums plus a better bass kick and some cheap symbols thrown in for an extra $20 bucks. Should be picking them up tomorrow...so incoming new drum day :w00t:

Should be fun

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

For more recent non-vintage kits, great deals can be had with the Yamaha Stage Custom and Sonor 2000/3000 series.
Local milk person

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:12 pm

I ended up upgrading the hardware, throne, and kick with some mapex stuff. Cymbals I chose to go with were a Sabian AAX ride, Sabian SR2 crash/ride, and Sabian AA medium hats.

Was going to attempt to use the oldies stands, but the set-up and take down with the screwing of the lug nuts seemed like it would get old fast. Also worry about potentially damaging the intact original stands. So for now, they're going in storage for keepsake. I haven't had chance to set everything up yet. Will get some new drum day pictures as soon as possible!

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 am

saving this thread for later