1920's Ludwig Kenmore plectrum banjo

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1920's Ludwig Kenmore plectrum banjo

Post by JSett » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:29 am

After my disappointing experience with a borked 1950s Kay Banjo (neck like a banana) I've been keeping my eye out for an alternative. On Thursday I found one for sale for a decent price and it happened the seller was 1 mile from a venue I was playing a gig at that night. Serendipity brought it effortlessly into my hands.

So, I have a 1920s Kenmore Ludwig 4-string 'plectrum' banjo, made in Chicago....

Tailpiece is a little work of art...

Lovely inlay work on the sides and back...

Original case, key and hangtag. Amazing considering its about 100 years old!...

I've just got back from a very long weekend at a punk festival so haven't even tried tuning or playing it but the action seems reasonable enough and it rings loud and clear. I might swap the head for a fibreskyn at some point. Not worked out which tuning to try first either, all in due time.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1920's Ludwig Kenmore plectrum banjo

Post by JSett » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:04 pm

After a little setup work I've got the action down a bit more. There is no neck adjustment that I can see or find researching the internet (it's not built like a regular banjo) so it's more about setting the bridge height over anything else.

Plays and sounds nice though. Here is an hour or so's worth of 'having a shot' distilled into a small snippet of music...

https://youtube.com/shorts/Lz8p0FDzlsM? ... ZyHe2Y8Gls

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:39 pm

Nice! I have the same model. They actually made this model with brass, like yours, or pot metal like mine. I got mine about a year ago and really love it. I like playing swing music and it’s perfect.

I actually had the choice between brass and pot metal and went with the pot metal model because it had a dead straight neck. The lack of trussrod a a bummer so it pays to find a model with a good neck. Congrats and have fun!
Send me western swing vids

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:06 pm

andy wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:39 pm
Nice! I have the same model. They actually made this model with brass, like yours, or pot metal like mine. I got mine about a year ago and really love it. I like playing swing music and it’s perfect.

I actually had the choice between brass and pot metal and went with the pot metal model because it had a dead straight neck. The lack of trussrod a a bummer so it pays to find a model with a good neck. Congrats and have fun!
Nice! Good to find someone with direct experience of the model ;D I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the bracing situation but I understand from research that it's not done the conventional way for a banjo. I'm right in thinking the resonator can't be removed without full string and head removal, yeah?

The neck has a little bow to it. Relief is about 1/16" and the action at rest is about 3/16" - infinitely more playable than the 1/2" of my previous banjo :D

There is a banjo luthier about 25mins drive from me so I could always get it looked at if needed.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:03 am

That makes me smile. :) Being from Philadelphia we have alot of vintage banjo and banjo related instruments around due to the ongoing New Years Day Mummers parade being a bunch of string bands. I still have a mando/banjo with a full resonator and mother of toilet seat fingerboard.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:59 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:06 pm

Nice! Good to find someone with direct experience of the model ;D I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the bracing situation but I understand from research that it's not done the conventional way for a banjo. I'm right in thinking the resonator can't be removed without full string and head removal, yeah?
I think you have to take the whole thing apart. I haven’t tried on mine. The pot metal hoop(? Rim?) on mine is cracked in a bunch of spots and I’m scared that if I take it apart, a bunch of pieces will break. I think you’d be fine with the brass hoop. Either way, check for cracks in the metal!

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:18 am

Figured I’d take some pics so you can see how to identify brass vs pot metal. Pot metal typically has these little diamond-like vents.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:59 pm

Oh wow, there are a few differences for sure. The bracing system inside appears to be different to mine too. Mine doesn't have the metal rod, just a piece of wood with various metal furnishings to tension the neck against the rims.

I took mine apart briefly earlier to have a look but wasn't in a position to did too far, and was scared to fuck it up :D I have got the action a little lower though, which is nice.

Definitely better at Chicago tuning, it's just a weird guitar at that point but the familiarity of the finger positions means I can already get some half-decent playing and tunes out of it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am

Trying to give this about 30mins a day minimum. Speed is picking up a little. I tried with some actual fingerpicks and was utterly terrible...much more comfortable with just fingertips - and it gives a softer sound, which I like