Roland V-drums

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Roland V-drums

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Opionions on roland V-drums? I'm looking at getting one of these kits for laying down some demos. I live in an apartment so they seem like a good idea. I played some the other day at the local shop and was liking the sounds I was getting. Anyone use these?
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Roland V-drums

Post by glimmertwin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 am

I have wondered the same thing for a while to teach myself drums a little better and be able to convey ideas in my own demos...seems like the only feedback I have read on the net though is they aren't very realistic unless you get the really expensive ones and even then your money is probably better spent on a real kit and finding the time when you can play.  I would be interested in any feedback on this forum though.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:34 am

A drummer friend of mine recomended   these he has a set I'm going to go play them later in the week.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Loomer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:25 am

JazzBlaster wrote: A drummer friend of mine recomended   these he has a set I'm going to go play them later in the week.
What little experience I have with electronic drums, I'd strongly recommend the V-drums. Or at least that style of trigger/pad. They feel way better than the rubber beater pads that most e-drums use. V-drums have that great responsive mesh that have more give and are much less fatiguing than the black rubber pads. They seem to trigger well on the edge also.

If you have the cash, they are worth it.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:49 am

I know that, but I'm not looking to become a drummer. I just want something I can use for demos. I would mutch rather invest my money in guitars. But seeing as I can't find a rythm section to do the job I may as well do it myself. I can't do what I want to do with a drum machine anymore. I don't know how else to get out what's in my head. I played a very nice roland kit the other day but I would rather not spend 2k on drums.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:49 am

Compromise:

"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

Ian-Murphy

Post by Ian-Murphy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 am

We have a V-Drum kit. They are remarkably good for learning drums, or recording drums, without falling out with your neighbours. The mesh heads have a nicer feedback than the ordinary rubber pads on many, so at least get the best snare head you can afford. Whether you think they sound authentic is partly determined by the speaker you use - with quality speakers they sound amazing. We just use them through headphones or through my hi-fi (which has floorstanding speakers and a subwoofer)  which sounds very adequate.
Way more practical than bringing an acoustic drum kit into the house!