Who plays synthesisers?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who plays synthesisers?

Post by Pingu » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 pm

The Xiosynth is a beautiful piece of gear, but I wouldn't get it unless I needed its MIDI and built-in audio interface as well. Nothing wrong with using it just as a synth, but if that's all you need there are better options in the same price range.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:28 pm

These MPCs look really cool, I finally found a video on YouTube that isn't just lazy hip-hop drum programming  :P
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

IFoughtTheLaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm

I've got a cheap Casio WK-1630 that I got at Guitar Center used for $130 a couple years ago. It's not really a synth, just a keyboard with speakers built in, but supposedly it does work as a midi controller, I just need to get a cable for my Tascam interface. Since I've been messing around a lot in Ableon Live Lite 7 since I got it, I was thinking about getting a cord so I could use the keyboard as a controller. The problem is, its a massive keyboard, so would I be better off getting an actual small midi controller for my computer desk? I see a lot of people sell them on craigslist, and I'm wondering if they would be a good investment.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:44 am

IFoughtTheLaw wrote: I've got a cheap Casio WK-1630 that I got at Guitar Center used for $130 a couple years ago. It's not really a synth, just a keyboard with speakers built in, but supposedly it does work as a midi controller, I just need to get a cable for my Tascam interface. Since I've been messing around a lot in Ableon Live Lite 7 since I got it, I was thinking about getting a cord so I could use the keyboard as a controller. The problem is, its a massive keyboard, so would I be better off getting an actual small midi controller for my computer desk? I see a lot of people sell them on craigslist, and I'm wondering if they would be a good investment.
I had a colossal Casio keyboard on my desk for a while, but it was a small hell moving it every time I wanted to type something  ::)

Do you just want a keyboard, or something with knobs and faders as well? The Akai MPK is very nice, it has drum pads and everything, but is on the expensive side. If you're on a budget(who isn't?) I would suggest something from M-audio, like the Keystation or Oxygen. They don't have a reputation for reliability, but at those prices you can't really complain.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:00 am

El Pr0n wrote: These MPCs look really cool, I finally found a video on YouTube that isn't just lazy hip-hop drum programming  :P
if you have a laptop at hand you could get some software like ableton live and controll all that stuff by a midi pad controller. that would be cheaper and you have more abilitys and control.
at least in my opinion. the french dj team JUSTICE uses those trigger pads for their live shows...

well... in case they are plugged in  ::)

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am

Killamangiro* wrote:
if you have a laptop at hand you could get some software like ableton live and controll all that stuff by a midi pad controller.
Cheaper? Ableton was something like 400€ the last time I checked.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:29 am

I like the idea of a controller and a laptop, but the only laptop I have access to is my Dad's one for work. I don't think he'd be alright with me putting all my music stuff on it and wanting to use it all the time.

And wouldn't an MPC500 (€485) be much cheaper than software (I assume I'd have to buy extra synth and effects programmes to make the most of Ableton?), an interface, and a controller?

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:56 am

Well, the I'm pretty sure the MPC has MIDI, so you should(maybe) still be able to use it as a controller if you decide to go software later.

I would still go for an MPD or similar controller plus a good softsynth, but that's just me.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Like so?

What's your softsynth of choice, Pingu?

It makes a lot more sense to use a computer, I know.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 pm

El Pr0n wrote: Like so?

What's your softsynth of choice, Pingu?

It makes a lot more sense to use a computer, I know.
That's the one, yes.

I love love love Native Instrument's FM8. It has a very crisp and modern sound, so a big no-no if you like that warm analogue tone.
Another option would be Kore 2 by the same company, it's a kind of mash-up of several of their instruments, it's really easy to get wonderful sounds but you can do extremely complicated things as well. And it comes with it's own custom made hardware controller! There's a free "light" version at http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... player&L=1

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:24 pm

And for that kinda thing, you need a host programme too, like Ableton or something?

(I know I'm noobing it up in here, what can I say?  8))

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:29 pm

You do, yes. The only exception being Reason, which is primarily a bundle of instruments but has basic recording/mixing capabilities as well.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Cool, I'll give a lot of thought to it so.

Thanks for all the great advice!  :-* OSG

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Great thread - I am following these responses with great interest.

I've been slowly amassing cheapie gear and now need to hook it all up in the most efficient and cost effective (by that I mean not requiring myself to buy much more than I've already spent). Sometimes I think it would have been much easier to just buy a single MIDI keyboard controller, hook it up to my MacBookPro, and move ahead. Instead I've got all of this old gear that I just couldn't pass by due to the price (story of my gear-amassing life).
IFoughtTheLaw wrote: I've got a cheap Casio WK-1630 that I got at Guitar Center used for $130 a couple years ago. It's not really a synth, just a keyboard with speakers built in, but supposedly it does work as a midi controller, I just need to get a cable for my Tascam interface. Since I've been messing around a lot in Ableon Live Lite 7 since I got it, I was thinking about getting a cord so I could use the keyboard as a controller. The problem is, its a massive keyboard, so would I be better off getting an actual small midi controller for my computer desk? I see a lot of people sell them on craigslist, and I'm wondering if they would be a good investment.
I was planning on using my Roland Pro-E as a softsynth controller (although I have no idea which program I'll end up using). It's a fairly small keyboard and is all MIDI-ed up.

In my madness (hell, it was bundled!) I got a Roland MT-32 sound module & a laughably ancient PR-100 sequencer with the ill-fated "Quick disks" (but I've got a stack of those too).

I have a couple of vintage Roland synths (Juno 2 & a JX-3P, with the respective controllers [PG-200 & PG-300]) as well but haven't ever used them as anything beyond single unconnected instruments. The Juno 2 isn't too big either so it might be a good candidate for use as a controller as well. If I can get decent analog sounds I might just sell the JX-3P or keep it for vintage resale down the road.

Don't mean to hijack - just wanted to add my 2 bits. 
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:06 pm

If anything, I'm worried about hijacking the thread! I'd prefer if everyone was chatting like that!

All that gear looks really cool! And cheap doesn't mean bad! Cost is why My Bloody Valentine played offsets, it's why, more appropriately, Aphex Twin used TRs and TBs!

Yeah, it seems like all the fun stuff happens when you hook everything up to everything else. You look like you're almost set with that stuff.