Help! Replacing an speaker cable jack on a PA-can I use a mono switchcraft jack?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help! Replacing an speaker cable jack on a PA-can I use a mono switchcraft jack?

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:31 am

....sorry for the desperate post.  Looking for some answers quickly but no one seems to be able to confirm for me.  I'm sure this is an easy question for the offset minds here:

I am trying to repair my brother in law's PA speaker cabinet so I can use it for SXSW later this week.  He was getting an intermittent connection out of one sub and no connection out of the other sub.  The "one" had a jack where the plastic was all cracked(it's one of those enclosed ones as show below) and had a shady looking solder joint.  The completely dead "other" one appears to be fine but figured I would replace both while I'm at it.  My problem is this - I don't know what type of jack to replace it with.  It's a 1/4" jack and has a speaker cable that plugs into it.  I would assume I could use a couple of my "mono" switchcraft jacks from pedal projects to finish it but I don't want to eff something up so I want to be sure.  Can anyone confirm for me?  If I could use my switchcraft jacks, would they be noisier since they aren't of the enclosed variety?

..if it matters, the subs in question are a couple of older EV Eliminator subs - just a couple of 1/4" jacks in the back for input/output(no Speakon connections).

...one more question - if the jack on the dead one gets replaced and it still doesn't work, where is my next place to look?  There are only a handful of parts in this thing - a few components leading to some sort of winding coil and then going to the speakers.  I figure if you use epoxy to secure an input jack your asking for trouble even if it visually looks fine and I would think it's the most obvious place where something could go wrong so suddenly on such a relatively simple device but you guys might have better advice...

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=90

Thanks for your help!
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."