The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by StevenO » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 am

I don't know about the bit rate, but I have an Arturia Minimoog on my iPad that I paid $20 for, I think, and it's actually quite great. I always think it sucks but then I match the patches on my Behringer Model D and it's actually surprisingly similar in sound and character. Maybe there's something like that for you?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Yeah, I could buy another copy of the arturia minimoog, but I have one on my packed up machine and don't feel like buying it twice. And it would kinda undermine the point of my little experiment. The MinimogueVA is actually pretty on point, I just don't wanna have to use a bridge if I don't have to is all.
This is an excellent rectangle

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:33 am

My current setup. Arturia Minibrute 2, Elektron Model:Samples, Modal Skulpt in though an Arturia Audiofuse into Logic. (franken-P-Bass, SQJMJM and partcaster strat with aluminium neck also pictured).

A couple of tracks from it (mainly to learn how everything works):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTF9gw5nBWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPKT1HrTWU

krib
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krib » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Nice setup there.
Serious synth gas here for some time now, im thinking about something cheap and simple for starters. Like Skulpt, IK Uno or Microfreak, for stuff like Autechre, BoC, Clark etc what would best suited of those three or any of them?
I like Skulpt best so far but Uno would be cheaper and easier to get, microfreak would be easier to get too but in the same price range as Skulpt.
Arp and sequencer is must but im not ready to dive into sampling yet.
Sorry if this is stupid question as im just starting started :blush:

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I considered the Skulpt, Uno and Microfreak just like you (all three look great in different ways), but went with the Skulpt because I was looking for something small ( I’m deliberately limiting myself to the space in the setup picture) and I wanted a polyphonic digital synth to complement and contrast with the Minibrute 2 (analog mono). So for me, the choice was easy.

I picked the Skulpt up second hand (via Reverb, from a seller in Sweden), because I wanted the white one, and everywhere that sells them new only had black.

I’ve only scratched the surface with the Skulpt, but there’s a hell of a lot of power inside that little box.

krib
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krib » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 am

The more i listened the more i liked it, Skulpt that is.
So... I ordered one :w00t:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Are these you playing? These sound awesome! Also, I love the vibe of your synth area and how it's lit. Looks really cool :)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Are these you playing? These sound awesome! Also, I love the vibe of your synth area and how it's lit. Looks really cool :)
Thanks! Yeah, that's all me. They're the first time I've recorded anything, so I'm only finding my feet and keep realising that I have a lot to learn. The first track is all Model:Samples and Skulpt , the second is a bit of everything, including a couple of tracks of guitar and bass. Lot of processing in Logic on both.

I'm pretty chuffed with the lighting too - cheapo led strips from Lidl, stuck to the back of the shelf. Only problem with the setup is that I have to sit on the arm of my sofa to work on it, and it's pretty uncomfortable and not so good for my back, so I plan on moving to a desk at some point, but I have to make room elsewhere in the house for that. Props to my wife for being cool with having this in the corner of our living room!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 am

phutyle wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 am
Thanks! Yeah, that's all me. They're the first time I've recorded anything, so I'm only finding my feet and keep realising that I have a lot to learn. The first track is all Model:Samples and Skulpt , the second is a bit of everything, including a couple of tracks of guitar and bass. Lot of processing in Logic on both.

I'm pretty chuffed with the lighting too - cheapo led strips from Lidl, stuck to the back of the shelf. Only problem with the setup is that I have to sit on the arm of my sofa to work on it, and it's pretty uncomfortable and not so good for my back, so I plan on moving to a desk at some point, but I have to make room elsewhere in the house for that. Props to my wife for being cool with having this in the corner of our living room!
Hell yes dude. Those sound really great, and it's not helping my wait for my first hardware synth I've got on preorder :wacko: Do you just record straight into your DAW/recording device?

Yeah, that's awesome. As someone who builds stuff to fit an exact need, I'd recommend building a desk for your music and synth stuff, so you can get the exact height and desktop space you need ;D Is your wife a musician too, or just really cool?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 am
Hell yes dude. Those sound really great, and it's not helping my wait for my first hardware synth I've got on preorder :wacko: Do you just record straight into your DAW/recording device?

Yeah, that's awesome. As someone who builds stuff to fit an exact need, I'd recommend building a desk for your music and synth stuff, so you can get the exact height and desktop space you need ;D Is your wife a musician too, or just really cool?
Everything goes into the Arturia Audiofuse, and then into Logic (on a 2009 MacBook Pro that's seen better days). I might just swing by Ikea for the table ;D I don't want all the gear ending up on a heap on the floor. Wife's not a musician, but she is cool. Better for the whole family that I'm not locked away in a room on my own, I suppose. Although I do tend to wait until everyone else has gone to bed to record. We've 3 kids (6,6 and 10), and I make a point of leaving all musical instruments out for them to (respectfully) play with whenever they want. Between the living and dining room, there's three synths, two drum machines, two electric guitars, a bass, two acoustic guitars, two ukes, an Irish flute, two tin whistles and a Celtic harp.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Woo! Man, at least one of your kids will be musical. That's pretty cool. I've always been the territorial-type with my stuff, but that's super awesome.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 am

tade wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am
El Pr0n wrote: Any opinions here on the Behringer Neutron? Looks like a perfect next step for patching with my Microbrute, I'm not sure I'm ready to get into full eurorack yet...
I quite like it. It's a very good monosynth (paraphonic actually) for its price, with an interesting character.
While it's not anything groundbreaking sound wise, it can deliver some powerful and 'aggressive' sounds.
Also the patching capabilities are quite extensive for such a small synth, so if you end up expanding to other patchable synths or modules, you can't go wrong with it.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I was hoping it would be something good in that small affordable package. Behringer are really killing it lately. I want one of those 101 clones too :-*
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:58 pm

What Happens When You Plug Synths Into Guitar Synth Pedals?

I don't know if anyone watched this yet, but Kurk kills it again! I'm really enjoying his synth videos, but this one is really cool. I might grab one of the B9/C9/Key9 pedals to do this. The organs sound particularly good.

krib
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krib » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 pm

So i got the Skulpt synth but im having some issues, mainly with the sequencer.
Been messing with it only few hours so it might be user error or not..
Today i tried to store sequencer part with ModalApp and the synth just went havoc with lights and didnt store the patch, it wiped the only factory preset patch too.
Also when in sequencer edit mode (shift+seq) if i clear missplayed lines while its recording without messing knobs, just clear and hit the shift+seq again to exit edit mode patch sound and volume levels change randomly too.

Anyone else had same?

krib
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by krib » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 am

Ok i figured out the sequencer patch save, i had it on record first time. I think it needs to be on play or stop to save and i had to press save button twice.