Please delete threads.

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Please delete threads.

Post by planningtojazz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:52 am

Thank you for all your input guys it went greatly appreciated!
Last edited by planningtojazz on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Domm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help: My bass players tone SUCKS!

Post by Domm » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:58 am

upgrade to the 200 watt acoustic head and get a cheap 2nd hand hartke or ampeg 410. prob solved, unless its his playing!

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:01 am

I'd also look into getting that bass setup professionally, maybe a fret level, the works. That would do wonders I'm sure.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

tylerforyou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tylerforyou » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 am

In my experience the best thing you can do for bass tone is buy good strings and make sure he's not rolling the tone control all the way down.

planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planningtojazz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:09 pm

i guess the question is trying to ask, what in entire chain from the instrument to the amp is going to have the highest effect on giving my bass player a more present fit in the mix.

or will a pre amp pedal help out so much its worth looking into that firstly.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I would say amp and speakers will be the best bang for buck.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:55 pm

What's missing? Low End? High End? Mids? Attack? Maybe an equalizer or a boost can solve the problem? It's hard to give valuable advice if you don't describe the problem. Nonetheless I'd try at first to turn all the knobs of his amp in a 12 o'clock position and tweak the sound while you play with the whole band. Then find out what's still missing.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:29 pm

What kind of music do you play, and what bass player or band has the tone you desire?
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

DECIBILL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DECIBILL » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Chances are the bass is missing the "punch" that you expect a bass to have. If this is the case, then he has got to get a better amp rig or start running a DI signal through the PA. Bass guitars need way more wattage to hold up in a live/loud band situation than standard 6 string guitars. The only way to get that punch and impact is for him to move more air. And to move more air, he needs more power. Also, don't underestimate the importance of mid frequencies with bass. Everybody usually just cranks the "bass" EQ knob thinking it will make things better. Get those mid's to punch, then dial in some low end.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 am

Not normally a bass player? A lot to do with playing i would have thought!

There's always a transition from guitar to bass which is learning a good tone, whatever music. That would be going as far as being able to play anything you would normally be able to on guitar, yet not in the way a bass player would. Is that really the problem, or is it more to do with EQ? It affects attack, tightness of notes, the velicity which they are played, the position it's plucked, or even the selected EQ settings?

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tremolo3 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Does his tone suck by himself or just with the rest of the band?

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:53 am

If his bass is an Affinity P-Bass he will REALLY need to change the pickup and possibly rewire the whole thing, as they're really weak electrically. As the old Sound Engineers saying goes, "Shit in means Shit out!".
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planningtojazz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:27 am

DECIBILL wrote:Chances are the bass is missing the "punch" that you expect a bass to have. If this is the case, then he has got to get a better amp rig or start running a DI signal through the PA. Bass guitars need way more wattage to hold up in a live/loud band situation than standard 6 string guitars. The only way to get that punch and impact is for him to move more air. And to move more air, he needs more power. Also, don't underestimate the importance of mid frequencies with bass. Everybody usually just cranks the "bass" EQ knob thinking it will make things better. Get those mid's to punch, then dial in some low end.
Yeah he runs a low watt "acoustic" amp and drives the gain. Its got none of that low end thumpiness you feel in your heart. The guy who built my amp reccomended we get a high wattage PA system and a sansamp bass preamp.
jorri wrote:Not normally a bass player? A lot to do with playing i would have thought!

There's always a transition from guitar to bass which is learning a good tone, whatever music. That would be going as far as being able to play anything you would normally be able to on guitar, yet not in the way a bass player would. Is that really the problem, or is it more to do with EQ? It affects attack, tightness of notes, the velicity which they are played, the position it's plucked, or even the selected EQ settings?
hes mostly a drummer but it seems like he really likes that upper mids gainy sound which can be cool but i dont think is helping the music groove. He does play the songs like a guitar player now that you mention it.
ramonovski wrote:Does his tone suck by himself or just with the rest of the band?
both :fp:

planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planningtojazz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:27 am

DECIBILL wrote:Chances are the bass is missing the "punch" that you expect a bass to have. If this is the case, then he has got to get a better amp rig or start running a DI signal through the PA. Bass guitars need way more wattage to hold up in a live/loud band situation than standard 6 string guitars. The only way to get that punch and impact is for him to move more air. And to move more air, he needs more power. Also, don't underestimate the importance of mid frequencies with bass. Everybody usually just cranks the "bass" EQ knob thinking it will make things better. Get those mid's to punch, then dial in some low end.
Yeah he runs a low watt "acoustic" amp and drives the gain. Its got none of that low end thumpiness you feel in your heart. The guy who built my amp reccomended we get a high wattage PA system and a sansamp bass preamp.
jorri wrote:Not normally a bass player? A lot to do with playing i would have thought!

hes mostly a drummer but it seems like he really likes that upper mids gainy sound which can be cool but i dont think is helping the music groove. He does play the songs like a guitar player now that you mention it.
ramonovski wrote:Does his tone suck by himself or just with the rest of the band?
both

TeaLifeTeaMind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeaLifeTeaMind » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 am

Might seem like a weird suggestion, but my last bass player had a killer tone. He was a good player, but not originally a bassist. His secret weapon? A knockoff Hofner type violin bass. He played through whatever bass amp was available and always got a fat, punchy woody tone from that thing. It was a cheapo too:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/rog ... ass-guitar. In addition to the violin bass, he had a set of Rotosound black tapewound strings on it, which is an inexpensive thing to try. http://www.rotosound.com/tru-bass-88/. The cheaper Hofner reissue violin basses sound decent to my ear but not as sturdily made as the Rogue and the pickups aren't as punchy.

My new bass player is a pro with high end gear and has still been trying to figure out how to get the same tone the last bassist did. He has multiple Fender basses, Warwicks, an upright etc. Lately, the new guy has been looking into violin basses. Just sayin'....