got my first modular synth setup...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

got my first modular synth setup...

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:31 am

I bought a used synthesizers.com system from guy on craigslist. It's pretty awesome! Now I need to learn how to use it haha.

I've got:

-22 space 'portable' case with power supply and power interface.
-(2) Q106 VCOs
-Q104 MIDI interface
-Q108 VCA
-Q109 EG
-Yusynth ARP 4072 VCF
-Catgirl Serge VCS

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: got my first modular synth setup...

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:51 am

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:57 pm

wow, that's intense. Is that a Buchla system? I just want a simple 4 VCO system mostly for basslines and 'rumble-y' and 'spooky' sounds.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:00 pm

I saw that- seemed like a pretty sweet deal for everything they included.

Modular synth feels incredibly intimidating- good luck!

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:49 pm

That's great Mike! I'm seriously considering modular as well, but I really love the way the Buchla stuff sounds and how unique the modules seem. It's pricey though so my system would have to start very small (a case and a couple modules) and grow over time.

Kent that system looks amazing! I can recognize most of the models from youtube videos but what is the little rack with the four mini modules?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:35 pm

That looks an incredible start, I'm hoping you keep us updated as you learn to use it and expand it in the future.

I really fancy a modular synth and I saw Anythony Child (better known as a Surgeon or as one half of British Murder Boys) do a love improvisation on his Buchla (and I love his recent Electronic Recordings from Maui Jungle Vol. 1 album) and desire for one was pretty hot.

Sadly my modular synth looks a little too much like a new kitchen for my liking but maybe in the next year.

Kent, what a device you have, it looks like you could open a portal to the astral plane with it!

Btw there's a good streaming recording of one of the Anthony Child improvisations if anyone is interested.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

planningtojazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planningtojazz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 am

looks fantastic, congratulations!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58 pm

shadowplay wrote:That looks an incredible start, I'm hoping you keep us updated as you learn to use it and expand it in the future.

I really fancy a modular synth and I saw Anythony Child (better known as a Surgeon or as one half of British Murder Boys) do a love improvisation on his Buchla (and I love his recent Electronic Recordings from Maui Jungle Vol. 1 album) and desire for one was pretty hot.

Sadly my modular synth looks a little too much like a new kitchen for my liking but maybe in the next year.

Kent, what a device you have, it looks like you could open a portal to the astral plane with it!

Btw there's a good streaming recording of one of the Anthony Child improvisations if anyone is interested.

D
Thanks for the links D, I'll check them out! I sold some gear to get this and I need to sell some more to complete it. But I really need to take the time and learn what the oscillators can do... with my ears. That's what I like about this old school format (5U/MU), it's all up to your ears. There's really nothing to see other than the knob labels and there's no presets with 'classic settings'. You are forced to make decisions by what you hear.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 am

In response to everyone's responses to my having waved my cock about:

Yes, it is a Buchla System. A 200e system, to be precise.

The "little rack" is an Eardrill ModuleModule. A synth-head named Chris Muir invented the format so that one could create their own 1-panel Buchla format module by adding mini-modules to the carrier-rack. There are modules out there that are 1 or 2 mini-units high. He also manufactured the Eardrill Pendulum/Ratchet module, which is to be seen just above the ModuleModule.

My system has the following in the ModuleModule:

An Intellijel microstep Gate/Trigger sequencer
A Jason R Butcher digital reverb
An Eardrill qVCA quad VCA
An Eardrill Pulse Balloons (see the website for details)

And, yes, it does provide access to ancient star portals and the like. It is an awesome machine. It suited my goals perfectly and feels like a true instrument as opposed to a collection of processors and generators. I ditched a large Eurorack and Frac base system for this and couldn't be happier.

Mikal , I apologize for having trod upon the thunder of your announcement. It was in bad form, but I simply couldn't resist. In no small part simply to let you know that there are others out there who are deep into modular. I'm sure that Billy can help facilitate your gear lust in this regard as well. Incidentally, have you ever been able to play with his Roland System 700? I almost bought a nice system at a very good price but went with the 200e instead. I think that Billy grabbed the system that I was thinking of getting.
Last edited by Kent on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 pm

No worries Kent! Post away in here. :-)

I noticed you have a link to Muff Wiggler. Are you a mod there?

BC has a giant modular system but that's all i've seen. Everything is in storage ATM.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:15 am

OffYourFace wrote:No worries Kent! Post away in here. :-)

I noticed you have a link to Muff Wiggler. Are you a mod there?

BC has a giant modular system but that's all i've seen. Everything is in storage ATM.
Thank you, sir.

Yes, I'm one of the mods on MW.

I had seen a picture wherein all of his modular gear was set up in a room. Why is everything in storage? If you can say so.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 pm

he moved out of his studio. i need to join MW..

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks and please do.