What Tremolo Collar & Arm for '65 Jazz

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Derrick
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

What Tremolo Collar & Arm for '65 Jazz

Post by Derrick » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi, first post here for me here! I have a late '65 or early '66 Fender Jazzmaster that was missing the collar for the tremolo arm. A shame, because everything else is 100% original and I still have the arm in the case along with the bridge cover. I ordered a collar from a shop but it turned out to be for an Asian model. If that wasn't bad enough, the shop was going to exchange it from their distributor, but lost the part and kept my $$. I just ordered a collar from Angela Instruments which fits and is a genuine Fender part, but the original arm doesn't fit in it!! Looking on line at photos, it appears the arms have changed (DAMMIT :w00t: ) ? So... what are my options since I am on strike two and I doubt I could find an original collar (or afford it anyhow)?

Thanks!!
/Derrick
We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What Tremolo Collar & Arm for '65 Jazz

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm

At the risk of slight changes to your vintage trem arm, you could take arm and collet to a machine shop and say "please make these fit together (by machining just the new collet if possible)".

But if your need is mainly so your can use the trem, you could just store the vintage arm and buy an AVRI arm for your new collet (presumably AVRI), or the screw-in Am Pro arm/collet pair ...
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 710405049/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Derrick
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks. So I take it that there is not a collet option for the original arm then? If not, I don't need to use the original arm that badly... I just wanted to if it was an option (without machining an existing part that is).

So, the next question then is... what are my options for new replacement collet/arm sets that would work as a drop-in fit with my original 1965 Jazzmaster? That would work with no modifications to the guitar (preserving originality/value). Looks like a Strat style screw-in type in your link. What are other options? Any consensus on a favorite?

Many thanks!

gringopig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gringopig » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 pm

I put Staytrem colletts and arms on all of mine bar a '62 Jag which didn't need it. I also have the bridges on too.
Works well and I stashed the originals in the case. Quite tough to get the original colletts off though lol Had to use a couple of locking monkey wrenches and WD40!

No slop, a perfect 1:1 trem action. See if you can get one on ebay. The manufacturer only sells within the UK now unfortunately.

Derrick
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Derrick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks, I saw mention of this and sadly cannot get them in the USA :(