vintage dot and binding Mustang?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

vintage dot and binding Mustang?

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue May 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Not too well versed in Mustang land, especially vintage. I kinda poked around Google, very briefly, but did Mustangs ever ship with D&B necks? I know it's Fender so anything is possible - but was it ever a thing? Or could you special order it?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: vintage dot and binding Mustang?

Post by MattK » Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm

I've never, ever seen nor heard of a Mustang from the vintage run with neck binding or blocks. The only Mustang I've seen with binding was the one-off Fender Japan hollowbody model which was available for about 2 weeks in the 2010s.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: vintage dot and binding Mustang?

Post by Rob » Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:59 pm
Not too well versed in Mustang land, especially vintage. I kinda poked around Google, very briefly, but did Mustangs ever ship with D&B necks? I know it's Fender so anything is possible - but was it ever a thing? Or could you special order it?
The old catalogs and price lists specify which options were available for Mustangs, such as standard colors vs. custom colors, and 24" neck vs. 22" neck, right-handed vs. left-handed, etc. But there's no options for binding on Mustang necks in any of the vintage literature.

Also worth remembering that people at the time who were willing to pay extra for off-menu customizations like neck binding typically weren't interested in cheap Mustangs.

Fender Japan, on the other hand, seems to enthusiastically offer any and every bell and whistle imaginable.