Bought a 1963 Jazzmaster in pieces!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bought a 1963 Jazzmaster in pieces!

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:15 am

DAMN THOSE TIELMANS!!! :fp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 am

Pacafeliz wrote:DAMN THOSE TIELMANS!!!
haha wash your mouth out! they ruuuule! ;D

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:58 am

mgeek wrote:Excuse the question, but is that maple you've added to the headstock? Grain looks a bit weird...

+ FWIW if this was mine I'd veneer the rear and face. It would hide the join and add a bit of stability
I don´t know what wood my piece is... :whistle:
I work on more stability, yes.
And I will use mordant to get the wood in darker color like the original wood. (This kind of works are new to me, I am collecting experiences. ::)

keep you updated about further disasters... ;D
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:04 am

PJazzmaster wrote:
supersonicjazzmaster wrote: Here I compared it with the headstock of my ´63 Jazzmaster:
show us more of that '63 please Fiesta red? Or Dakota?
Ah, yes yes.. I want to do a separate thread for this nice JM.
just this for now:
I bought it a week before my piece Jazzmaster. (my most expensive guitar month since years... :fp: ) But if you find what you love you have to get it even when money is low... (you know...)
Anyway, the ´63 JM is a fiesta red! All original except for the refinished body. And the body was refinished over 10 years ago. On pics it looks very new, but in reality you can see and feel (and hear!!!!) it´s a ´63!
here, if you´re interestd, a link to another forum (in Germany) where I documented it a bit:
http://www.guitarworld.de/gwpages/gear. ... jazzmaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralf Kilauea

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:05 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
mgeek wrote:Excuse the question, but is that maple you've added to the headstock? Grain looks a bit weird...

+ FWIW if this was mine I'd veneer the rear and face. It would hide the join and add a bit of stability
I don´t know what wood my piece is...
I work on more stability, yes.
And I will use mordant to get the wood in darker color like the original wood. (This kind of works are new to me, I am collecting experiences.

keep you updated about further disasters...

Ok in that case, I'm gonna honest, that looks to me like a piece of ash, or maybe even pine, and it has absolutely NO business being glued to a vintage Fender you're trying to restore!!! Seriously...that's utterly criminal, and the tiniest bit more effort would result in a proper job. I'm half 'someone on the internet is wrong' and half crying with laughter at how sloppy it is to just glue a random piece of wood on there :D ;D :fp:

Remove it, buy a piece of actual maple, (which bearing in mind even here in England will only set you back £15 for enough to make a whole neck) and do the job properly!

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 pm

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
PJazzmaster wrote:
supersonicjazzmaster wrote: Here I compared it with the headstock of my ´63 Jazzmaster:
show us more of that '63 please Fiesta red? Or Dakota?
Ah, yes yes.. I want to do a separate thread for this nice JM.
just this for now:
I bought it a week before my piece Jazzmaster. (my most expensive guitar month since years... ) But if you find what you love you have to get it even when money is low... (you know...)
Anyway, the ´63 JM is a fiesta red! All original except for the refinished body. And the body was refinished over 10 years ago. On pics it looks very new, but in reality you can see and feel (and hear!!!!) it´s a ´63!
here, if you´re interestd, a link to another forum (in Germany) where I documented it a bit:
http://www.guitarworld.de/gwpages/gear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... jazzmaster
really nice! Yes, that one deserves it's own separate thread here 8) :freako:

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 am

Whoa! The fiesta red '63 is fantastic!
I second mgeek thoughts: please restore your other '63 properly!
Finding the right wood for the headstock is basic. I'd have it cut so the grain matches as well.
And if I didn't have the right tools and experience (wich I don't), I'd trust it to a local woodcrafter.
I had a '69 Hagstrom restored with the help of 2 local craftsmen with very good results.
A pre cbs Jazzmaster is just too valuable to mess up gaining your first woodcrafting experience in my opinion.
This said, it's your guitar of course...

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 am

Ah, the wood the wood... :whistle:
Yes, I see it what you mean.
Ok, good, your answers here found their way into my brain. ::)
To be honest I had it already at two guitar shops and asked them for doing this properly for me. In the frist shop I came afte5 5 weeks and nothing happened except for let the neck hanging in the guitar shop which is a smokers room also... So I took it wth me, went to the next guitar shop, and he guy told me I could do this on my own, it´s not so difficult and I should bring it back then for refretting.

OK, I am situated in Berlin. This means I will find a guitar builder who will do it for me properly. :)
I know two or three more guitar builders near to me. They are doing acoustic guitars, but I hope they will know about the special wood.
Ralf Kilauea

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 am

Pacafeliz wrote:DAMN THOSE TIELMANS!!!
Yes, damn those Tielmans!!! :) :w00t:
Ralf Kilauea

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:40 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:Ah, the wood the wood...
Yes, I see it what you mean.
Ok, good, your answers here found their way into my brain.
To be honest I had it already at two guitar shops and asked them for doing this properly for me. In the frist shop I came afte5 5 weeks and nothing happened except for let the neck hanging in the guitar shop which is a smokers room also... So I took it wth me, went to the next guitar shop, and he guy told me I could do this on my own, it´s not so difficult and I should bring it back then for refretting.

OK, I am situated in Berlin. This means I will find a guitar builder who will do it for me properly.
I know two or three more guitar builders near to me. They are doing acoustic guitars, but I hope they will know about the special wood.
In my experience, guitar builders tend to be rather expensive.
An experienced woodworker could do just the same for a lesser price.
Off course, you 'd have to give them very specific instructions to avoid possible small disasters.
I'm not saying it's the way to go, but certainly worth asking
good luck with your project; the '63 Jazzmaster I played felt and sounded fantastic!
I'll follow this thread.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 am

Ah, this thread would be more senseful under "Vintage restorations"??
Maybe some can change this here?
Ralf Kilauea

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote: To be honest I had it already at two guitar shops and asked them for doing this properly for me. In the frist shop I came afte5 5 weeks and nothing happened except for let the neck hanging in the guitar shop which is a smokers room also... So I took it wth me, went to the next guitar shop, and he guy told me I could do this on my own, it´s not so difficult and I should bring it back then for refretting.

OK, I am situated in Berlin. This means I will find a guitar builder who will do it for me properly.
If I were in Berlin I'd try Arnold Erben Guitar Sound Design, he used to work for Deimel (talking about the woodwork only, no idea about his refretting skills).

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks for this tip!
I´ve searched for this guy. Found him on fb. I wrote him a message. :)
Deimel himself is not in Berlin anymore unfortunately..
Ralf Kilauea

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:57 am

Hi Ralf ,will not blame you ,but you could have ask me (what to do ,or to doing it ;) )
for beguinning woodworking is not the perfect project considering the value of 63 jazzmaster
but then now you have beguin ,i don't understand how is difficult to find luthier in berlin ? maybe the choice still here are more assembler an painter than builder
wait the for the next

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks Ludo!
...but meanwhile I set the whole neck on fire.
:)
Ralf Kilauea