Fender Electric XII String Buzz (certain strings only)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Electric XII String Buzz (certain strings only)

Post by akpasta » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 am

I've got a 1966 Fender Electric XII that has had a re-fret and a new nut made to space the strings out a little more at the nut.

I'm having a problem with the high G string where it buzzes really bad. I recorded with it recently and on that string it literally sounded like clipping it was buzzing so much. I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. The buzzing seems to be on the nut end of the neck but I even pulled the string out of the groove and set it on the top of the nut and it sitll buzzes, that should be plenty high to avoid buzzing against a fret. Changing the string height at the bridge makes no difference, even if I raise it way too much still has a buzz.

My other thought is that perhaps the shop cut the new nut too low so that explains the buzz. They attended to fill it in (it's brass) and re-cut it, but it still buzzes. I think me and the shop are losing patience with each other.

I could ask them to cut me a new nut, but that would cost me and it might still buzz.

Can anyone recommend some things I can do to track down where the problem might be coming from? I really hope they didn't fuck up on the re-fret :-\

nonesuch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Electric XII String Buzz (certain strings only)

Post by nonesuch » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:58 am

I had this a little while ago where the high G had a bit of a sitar like buzz. I couldn't really see what was causing it, so I just replaced that string and that sorted it out.

I guess it's due to that really light gauge string not lasting as long as the others.

Worth a try anyway.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:51 am

Another possibility is that the g-string pair are seated too close to each other- they could be buzzing together as they vibrate.

akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by akpasta » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 am

Replacing the string definitely doesn't do it.

As far as strings buzzing against each other. Yes, that is an issue with Fender Electric XII's, as the strings are quite close together, more so than a Ric or most other 12s. However, I've learned in tracking down buzzes on this guitar to isolate strings when trying to find the buzz. It's the G string alone that's buzzing. also, the G pair doesn't really buzz together as much anyways because the thicker gauges don't have as much play.