1959 Jazzmaster - settle in for story time (pic heavy!)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: 1959 Jazzmaster - settle in for story time (pic heavy!)

Post by Telliot » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am

That’s beautiful, congrats. You did your Grandpap proud. Don’t get too hung up on a refret — I’ve had a few vintage guitars (including my ‘66 Jazzmaster) refretted. They wear down, you replace them by someone who knows what they’re doing. No harm done, and you get to continue enjoying the guitar. ;)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:06 am

welshywelsh wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 am
As a few have said, I really like the burst as it's quite a subtle one. Very similar to the one on the 60th Anniversary, so Fender agree too I guess. It's funny, sunburst would usually be way down my list as a colour choice, but there's something about aged burst, especially with the gold guard and the history that tops everything for me.
The "wide & warm" Fender sunburst style that your guitar has, was used from (about) 1958 - 1962, and many would say that it is the finest sunburst that Fender ever did. The color gradation is very pleasing and organic, compared to the later style with an opaque yellow base coat and louder, thinner burst rings.

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:07 am

Telliot wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am
That’s beautiful, congrats. You did your Grandpap proud. Don’t get too hung up on a refret — I’ve had a few vintage guitars (including my ‘66 Jazzmaster) refretted. They wear down, you replace them by someone who knows what they’re doing. No harm done, and you get to continue enjoying the guitar. ;)
I'm fine with refrets too, it's just tough to find someone who can do it the correct way. Especially in England, I wouldn't even know where to start. Probably plenty of folks who will tell you they are experts and then mutilate your fingerboard with their Stew Mac tools :)

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:10 am

Yeah a refret is fine in my mind, guess it’s having the trust it’ll be done properly! I’ll never be parting with this so any resale value doesn’t bother me.

I’ve seen a few 59s with a three colour sunburst (think Nels Cline’s is?) but could be a refinish...?

Galeb_G4
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Galeb_G4 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the story and for the magnificent pictures! Sure, it must have been one hell of a tough decision to spend your inheritance money on it, but come on, that piece IS something your grandchildren will inherit, and it will have the same worth, if not more. It's a piece of music history and should be respected as such. I mean, if I learned that my grandfather had spent his inheritance money when he was young and that I recieved this when it is my turn to inherit, I'd be moved beyond tears and would cherish the guitar for my entire life... even if I didn't know how to play it :D

MT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Lovely guitar. :)

I had my 58 refretted and it was the best thing I could have done for it. It plays so much better than it did before. I was surprised by the difference. Definitely don’t stress having it done if you can find someone with the skills (and who can find the proper sized fret wire of course).

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:35 am

This is a beautiful guitar and a beautiful story, and without wanting to take away from that...are we sure that's the original finish? Somehow it doesn't quite ring true for me, with the long vertical checking lines, and the buckle wear looks kind of sanded.

I'd be very very happy to be called wrong, I absolutely do not want to be right, but if it was my purchase I'd deffo want to know soon enough to make the dealer sort it out. Anyone?

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am

My impression was of an original & correct finish. I don't have a problem with the checking. The buckle wear does look a bit unusual without oxidation of the bare wood.

It is probably smart to double check everything, especially in Europe. Maybe some photos of the neck pocket and under the pickguard to help confirm?

For comparison, here is the back of another 1959 Jazzmaster with buckle wear. Every guitar wears differently but it may be worth a deeper look.

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 am

Yup, always best to be safe, ask for a note on a receipt confirming original finish but that guitar looks good to me. That doesn't look like forced checking.

Edit: I don't want to derail this thread further, but to me this finish looks totally legit, check out my guitar in my avatar and you'll see it's been refinished by one of the most vaunted refinishers in the world. The OP's finish is significantly different - and just like that on the guitar for sale at the Kings Road Vintage Guitar Emporium. I met a friend for lunch recently who's been in the guitar business for decades and is widely respectd, he told me the Kign's Road Emporium is around the only one he'd trust. Check out how the finish is very similar, with long, straight checking (forced checking tends to give spider web patterns). There are a lot of finishes from this period with a similar look.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/12301413-195 ... shell-case
Last edited by Paul-T on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:50 am

No doubt from me it’s original (although I’m biased of course!)

It’s one of those things that you just know picking it up and looking in real life, the checking is my favourite part actually. Aside from that, the feel and the smell (!) it has come from an established guitar shop, one of those places you wouldn’t even need to check the neck date from (although I have been shown!) to trust in.

Every example is different but this one is near identical on the reverse: http://www.guitarhq.com/jazzma58.html

Thanks to everyone for even more comments too, glad it’s captured the imagination!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 am

okay cool! If you're sure then all is good- it does look awesome!

I suppose with 'reputable guitar dealers' such as the notoriously sketchy Music Ground around it's made me unduly suspicious ;)

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:24 am

All cool man I appreciate the input, as you say, it would be something to get sorted (financially!) with the dealer, but I’m convinced in this instance.

Or it’s the greatest refinish in history ;D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Not that I'm any kind of expert with judging a proper vintage finish, but the finish on your guitar looks to have that "sunk into the wood" look in places that I've never seen on any guitars with forced checking. I have a few guitars of similar age and older that I know are original finish, and they have that same look. Just my unprofessional opinion.
Beautiful guitar that's found its way into the right hands! :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:30 am

A very cool guitar - and a great story to go with it - happy NGD indeed!

I've bought and flipped quite a few guitars over the years - but very rarely have I shelled out actual cash. It's been trading up to stuff. The first time I ever bought a guitar with a substantial amount of money was on OGS - my '62 Jazzmaster.

I worried about what I was doing - it was a hell of a lot of money when you actually saw it as ... you know ... money! I don't think of the cost of things as much when I'm trading.

In the end, like you, I put that aside and pulled the trigger. I bought that Jazzmaster and waited for it to arrive. I was taking a chance - this was a guitar I was buying on spec, but I trusted that an OSG seller wouldn't be likely to sell a clunker. And man ... what a guitar. Within seconds of taking it out of the case I knew I'd done the right thing - that guitar felt like an old friend straight away and has been a constant for the last five years. Other things come and go - that Jazzmaster is staying.

So may it wear well OP - that's a beautiful Jazzmaster; truly a 'holy grail' guitar for most of us.

Pacreamer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pacreamer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 am

What a beauty! Congrats!