Joe B and his Offset ... Nokie-Caster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Joe B and his Offset ... Nokei-Caster

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 am

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 am
jvin248 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 am
In the fiction novel world, authors often split along this same divide. There are those writing 'literary masterpieces' that no one reads but are applauded in their tiny literary circles while waiting for validation of 'a book deal' (that comes with the frequency of 'a record deal') while 'popular authors' selling millions of copies are looked down on as pandering to the baser public wants.

Most of the time the majority of consumers just want entertainment, they want that beat they can dance to (or at least hear through their earbuds). Joe B gives those people entertainment and he makes some good cash in the process. He does seem to have fun at it which infuriates more classically inclined players.
Yeah, pretty much this. I'd wager there's not a whole lot of "serious" authors out there that have a lot of good things to say about Dan Brown or whatever. Second hand bookstores are as full of The Da Vinci Code as second hand record stores are full of Katrina and the Waves. But also music is shoved in your face in a way that literature often isn't, so it's harder to ignore or stay neutral to. I bet no one ever, on any forum or anywhere else, started a thread about how Dan Brown wrote his rough draft of Angels and Demons with a 2009 Mitsubishi Unipin 04-200 Black fineliner and then caught flak about Dan being a daft writer.

Good on Joe B. I don't think he sells himself short at all. He does what he loves and lives well doing it. Same thing with Dan Brown I'd wager. They may both not be my cup of tea, but that doesn't ever matter until someone tells me I should really check them out or otherwise shoves them down my throat.
ok you mention dan brown books. i used to work in a charity shop that got donated a lot of books. usually the new hotness books would get donated after a year. we could only ever put out 1 copy of each one. so for example. we could only ever put out one copy of the da vicci code, one copy of 50 shades of grey and one copy of twilight at a time. one day we looked at the book storage coubard and there was 60 copies of da vicci code, 35 copies of 50 shades and 70 copies of twilight. but even the copies that were out on the shop floor, we could not shift. for a while we would leave copies of each by the till with a sign that said "take one please" but most people who liked the books kept their copy, most people who hated the books gave us the copy's they had and then felt insulted that we were trying to give away the book they gave to us. it got soo bad that once a month, we would take a box of these books to a recycling center.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Joe B and his Offset ... Nokie-Caster

Post by NickD » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 am

But Sean, that has little to do with quality and everything to do with popularity - try selling an ordinary paperback copy of Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit - both well written books. Everyone who wants them, has them, pretty much, as a result of the films so you can barely give them away.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 am
But Sean, that has little to do with quality and everything to do with popularity - try selling an ordinary paperback copy of Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit - both well written books. Everyone who wants them, has them, pretty much, as a result of the films so you can barely give them away.
i'm actually going to disagree there. half the time when we got in a classic book, it would be on the shop floor for 2 days at max. however, the books i mentioned above are not of the greatest quality and they were popular. which usually means they have less staying power in the general public's mind and would get donated more and more.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:25 am

True, LOTR has longevity, but it is everywhere now. I see tons of unsold copies - Mrs NickD has worked in a couple of charity shops and found the same. It'll be worse with crap like Dan Brown I grant you, but I'm not sure the general populace is great at spotting quality literature.

Classic books are different again, they should sell, but depends on how many you get. A classic book, ok, but 10?

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 am
Second hand bookstores are as full of The Da Vinci Code as second hand record stores are full of Katrina and the Waves.
"Walking On Sunshine" is an objectively perfect song. Fight me.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm

sometimes i wonder if joe bonnab-a-n-a-n-a-sisaidthisshitisbananasb-a-n-a-n-a-smassa actually reads these posts. since in his rig rundown, he was aware of how much hate he got for bashing effects pedals.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 am
I myself wouldn't mind being, say, Ed Sheeran-levels of famous with all that comes with that, if I could get there doing my own thing.
I'd want to be Lee Ranaldo or J Mascis famous - I'm sure they can have all the celebrity perks they want, but no paparazzi following them 24/7.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:04 pm

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:25 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm
sometimes i wonder if joe bonnab-a-n-a-n-a-sisaidthisshitisbananasb-a-n-a-n-a-smassa actually reads these posts. since in his rig rundown, he was aware of how much hate he got for bashing effects pedals.
These posts, I wouldn't imagine so, but I've seen him post on other forums. He is a guitar nerd with a bit of fame and money, basically.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:57 am

i always wait for this clip to be linked.

p.s. ghost world is one of my favorite movies.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am

He's a great player and seems like an ok guy, but in all honesty- the closer music is the blues, the less I want to listen to it. Then again, I started playing guitar because I wanted to rock. It sort of boggle me that one of the most 'famous' guitar players of today plays what is essentially legacy music, so far from any semblance of pop culture relevance. Seriously, I only know about him because of all his endorsements/music gear. Didn't used to be that way. But again, good on him for finding his niche.

There are apparently two ways to be a successful musician - appeal to teenaged girls and have them accost you after every gig, or appeal to rich old white men who will accost you after every gig to complain about what caps you use in your Les Paul, or whether your tubes are boutique. Which route is 'hard mode,' depends who you are.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:27 am

Unfortunately OSG does have levels of snobbery that I don't like or agree with.... it took 7 or 8 years before we stopped the "oh I hate Stratocasters for no other reason than they are popular" school of thought.. and there is even an appreciation thread for strats now.

I love the blues and all its simplicity that many here see. But I also appreciate the complications and diversity that occurs when the music style must conform to a regulated simple system which requires the musician to tweak that gumbo with their own spice. Many here at OSG do not or refuse to see this.

I would not buy a Joe B. CD, he isn't my cup of tea... but I certainly appreciate his skills and would love to be able to spend an afternoon talking nerdish guitar stuff with him.

Maybe one day we'll have a Joe B. appreciation thread ...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:43 am

I think Joe Bonamassa is great. Do I like his music? Not particularly, but I think he seems like a guy I'd love to hang out with and be nerdy with. He's nice, friendly, and down to earth and I don't think he deserves nearly as much ridicule and derision as he gets. I don't personally care for a lot of the music that gets posted here and talked about as though you have bad taste for not liking it, I just don't listen to it. It's okay to like or dislike something, just no need to put down the people who's tastes or output differ from your preferences.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:21 pm

The perfect come back by Joe B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khz2-GjqPyw
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...