The Music's 1965 Jaguar from the song "Jag Tune"

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Music's 1965 Jaguar from the song "Jag Tune"

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 am

Some years ago, probably 7 or so, I was in Chandler's in West London/Richmond (depends who you ask!) playing an AVRI that I thought was poo and then a 1965 D+B Jag that belonged to one of my (former, it has to be said) favourite bands: The Music. Certainly their aptly named song "Jag Tune", one of my faves of theirs, was pretty much the only time guitarist Adam Nutter (also great name) deviated from his LP Deluxe.

I didn't buy it as I had my heart set on a B+B Jag but it was lovely, they called the boss who was in the pub and offered me a decent price and I still walked out of there.

For me, the main thing with that guitar was the association with one of my fave bands. But for someone else, particularly those who weren't into early '00s psychedelic dance-rock, perhaps they wouldn't care to pass that provenance on. Maybe they'd even be embarassed about it if they really didn't like the band. Could that fact be lost to the annals of time forever?

To put it another way, how do you know your instrument wasn't owned by the unrecognisable member of a band in the 60s or 70s? Would you honsetly know if, say, the 3rd or 4th guitarist in Lynyrd Skynyrd sold you a guitar without telling you who he was?

My current hunt for another Jag leads me to wonder if that guitar has ever been sold on without the Music association, or even if someone on here nabbed it at the time and has kept quiet about it. Or maybe the 65 I hope to go and see at the weekend within a reasonable locality to where the shop used to be is the same one I saw all those years ago and the seller just hasn't mentioned it?

While we're at it, what's the going rate for a sunburst '65 in the UK these days?

Sorry for the essay, I've been working at home this week and haven't had anyone to speak to!!

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Music's 1965 Jaguar from the song "Jag Tune"

Post by eggwheat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:09 am

Hah well it was actually in Kew... ;) Great shop...RIP...

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Music's 1965 Jaguar from the song "Jag Tune"

Post by simonhpieman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:55 am

Shows how well I know Richmond/West London!