Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Post Reply
User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon May 27, 2019 5:11 am

Hi,

I have found a seller here in Germany for a white Mustang.
I am looking for a white 65 Mustang, I like worn look a lot.
Many people here said that the ´65 Mustangs are the best in tone. So I think I have to get one.
I have found one on a german platform.
The seller sent me pics. What do you think about?
To me it looks refinished. The pickup switches are gone for a bad solution...
The 6 screws in the bridge are not original?
...and a part of the pickguard is missing...
This is what I think about. Other opinions about this one?
What do you think I should pay for it? ...unfortunately the prices for all original 65 Mustangs are high meanwhile...

thanks for opinions!
cheers
Ralf Kilauea

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Pgh, where the zombies come from

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon May 27, 2019 5:21 am

i am no expert on '65 mustangs, but i agree it looks like a respray.
I have a white '66 and it's covered in checks, and has turned cream.

prices are all over the place on Reverb, so i don't know what to think about yours. Hopefully, the things that are visable are the worst of it.
Those guards turn up on ebay fairly often. Less than $150.

what's he want for it?
love your band btw.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am

Hello, Ralf! You can add to your list that the ground wire seems to be visible running on top of the body of the guitar there. I forget where the ground wire normally runs on a Mustang but I do know that it's not visible, so it makes me wonder what else might have been changed with the electronics under there.

I would probably assume that you will need to rewire the entire guitar at this point.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:21 am
i am no expert on '65 mustangs, but i agree it looks like a respray.
I have a white '66 and it's covered in checks, and has turned cream.

prices are all over the place on Reverb, so i don't know what to think about yours. Hopefully, the things that are visable are the worst of it.
Those guards turn up on ebay fairly often. Less than $150.

what's he want for it?
love your band btw.
Thanks!!!
He thinks about 1600€... , which is a bit too much in this condition for me...
I am waiting for pics from the pickups and neck stamp.
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am
Hello, Ralf! You can add to your list that the ground wire seems to be visible running on top of the body of the guitar there. I forget where the ground wire normally runs on a Mustang but I do know that it's not visible, so it makes me wonder what else might have been changed with the electronics under there.

I would probably assume that you will need to rewire the entire guitar at this point.
Ah, yes, yes, the ground wire! Looks also a bit strange to me...
Yes, there is a bit work necessary I guess. ...not too much maybe?
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2207
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am
Hello, Ralf! You can add to your list that the ground wire seems to be visible running on top of the body of the guitar there. I forget where the ground wire normally runs on a Mustang but I do know that it's not visible, so it makes me wonder what else might have been changed with the electronics under there.

I would probably assume that you will need to rewire the entire guitar at this point.
nah that's how the bridge is normally grounded on old mustangs. there isn't a hole between the control cavity and vibrato cavity

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am
Hello, Ralf! You can add to your list that the ground wire seems to be visible running on top of the body of the guitar there. I forget where the ground wire normally runs on a Mustang but I do know that it's not visible, so it makes me wonder what else might have been changed with the electronics under there.

I would probably assume that you will need to rewire the entire guitar at this point.
nah that's how the bridge is normally grounded on old mustangs. there isn't a hole between the control cavity and vibrato cavity

:)
Ok, great. Thanks for the info!
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 am

nah that's how the bridge is normally grounded on old mustangs. there isn't a hole between the control cavity and vibrato cavity
Maybe so, but the ground wire isn't visible, is my point. This tells me that someone pulled the controls out from the cavity, probably when they did the other electronics work, and since they didn't bother to do a good job at hiding the ground wire properly you have to wonder what else they didn't bother to do well.

My point is to assume that it is going to need to have the electronics redone completely and to pay accordingly. Or at least that's how I would be viewing it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 am

Someone bought it.
I guess for 1600€.
...this was too much for me with those deficits.
...hmm... there are white 65 Mustangs around, but they are in original condition about 3000 dollars meanwhile...

thanks for responding and opinions, guys!
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am

Ah,
I found a seller in Japan who has got a lot of Mustangs for sale.
I am interested in this one here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fender-USA-Must ... SwI6xbkeVf

But, it is refinished?
And in the description it says the neck is "waving"?? What does this mean? ( I will ask the seller for this)

I think it is a bit overpriced...
I guess there are not so many people interested in expensive old Mustangs at last...

What do you think about this?

...take a look what this seller sells! I can not decide... Even the green one with matching head is there... :w00t:
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by mgeek » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:33 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 am

...hmm... there are white 65 Mustangs around, but they are in original condition about 3000 dollars meanwhile...
Is that an actual going rate or the Ebay/Reverb fantasyland buy it now graveyard?

I haven't looked for a while but thought Mustangs, especially slightly battered were under half that

*edit* yeah, take a look at ebay completed. There's a sweet crossover point where battered/refin og 60s mustangs are about the same price as new Japanese reissues.

This isn't white, but good price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-FENDER- ... 7675.l2557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/65-Fender-Mu ... 7675.l2557

and could this be cheap enough that paying for a relic refin on top would still be a reasonable price?

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:36 am

Yes, the price is ridiculous...
I offered 1700€ to the seller.
I would not pay more for this 65 Mustang.
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am

The seller lowered the price a bit...
He answered fast and told me that this guitar can very fast sold out!!! ;)
But it also seems that this seller has got two accounts, and there is the same guitar for less money....
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fender-USA-Must ... OSw31pdFOy~

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fender-USA-Must ... 2873750756


??? Ok, this seems not very trustworthy to me...
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

User avatar
Blomberg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Fender Mustang ´65, should I buy?

Post by Blomberg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am
The seller lowered the price a bit...
He answered fast and told me that this guitar can very fast sold out!!! ;)
But it also seems that this seller has got two accounts, and there is the same guitar for less money....
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fender-USA-Must ... OSw31pdFOy~

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fender-USA-Must ... 2873750756


??? Ok, this seems not very trustworthy to me...
It's quite common among the japanese sellers. Do a general search for "mustang" or something and you'll get tons of the same guitars with the same pictures from different sellers.

The explanation I read (probably on here) is that they often are guitars in local B&M stores or japan-only web sites put up for sale on ebay by a bunch of third party people, who then go and buy the guitar locally and ship it to whoever wins the auction.

Post Reply